ID:265881

Hey guys.

I was wondering: what is a good way to diversify your turf icons a little bit?

For instance, I have this "ground" icon I'm going to use as a medieval city floor. However, I have only 1 icon_state, and even though it looks smooth on the map, I believe it looks somewhat... repetitive to a hypnotic point.

What do you guys think could be a good idea to diversify this turf? What about other types of turfs, such as grass, stone, whatever?

Thanks. :P
Repetitive? No, that's wrong. It's fine here.
In response to Haywire
Not "grid"ish, but like... it is actually somewhat hypnotising to me.

Is it just me? :o
In response to Totally Unexpected
That's because you're focussing on it, When other objects are on it, it should be fine.
Are they supposed to be clay tiles or something? If so, make a few states where some are cracked, and then you can do something like this:
turf/tile
icon = 'Tiles.dmi'
icon_state = "clay"

New()
if(prob(1))
//1 in 100 will be cracked. This also assumes
//there are five states.
icon_state = "clay/cracked/[rand(1, 5)]"
In response to Totally Unexpected
Man-made things like floor tiles are designed to be perfect.

Though you could lighten up on the lines between the tiles. Too much contrast.
I agree with Fizz that adding some cracked tiles will help, and your idea for grass may work too--the odd tuft here or there. In a medieval city, you should also take into account that cobblestone tends to be less perfect in arrangement, so you could make a few different variations on this where the stone sizes vary a bit, as long as they still tile nicely with each other. Also, you may want to consider the occasional clump of horse poop.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Also, you may want to consider the occasional clump of horse poop.

Even if he making a modern city, he could still use it! I hate leaving a football game in Cleveland only to be within 15 feet of a police horse that couldn't wait to get back to the stable.