ID:133284

Right now we all know pixel limits are 128x128. 4 tiles really isn't that much space to work with. To make really large icons we have to do extra coding when just letting the natural system byond has with large icon_states take effect.
I'm not asking to remove the limit, but allow it to have pixel offsets more to the size of screen. I don't use more then 15x15 for my screen sizes, anything bigger then that isn't going to matter.
Use Shadowdarke's BigAtom library for big atoms.
In response to Kaiochao
I want just more then using it for icons. I had a system that put an image on a player's screen depending on their location. This image was used as a marker for a map screen to show location. Just little things like that is why I'm asking for a limit increase.
It sounds like you're trying to use pixel offsets for something pixel offsets really weren't designed for. I suggest finding an alternate approach.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I haven't found an alt approach, but as far as somethings go like using large icon states, it would be helpful to have a higher limit.
Some things I am trying to do are pixel sensitive and the limits just don't allow me to find things that work.

But my point is the limit is a bit too low and we should have more to work with. The coders know the risks of using large pixel offset and moving objects, but there is ways around that.
Well I really do believe the limit should be increased. It would allow developers more options when making games.
In response to Dpheonix7
Dpheonix7 wrote:
Well I really do believe the limit should be increased. It would allow developers more options when making games.

Like what options? Not to be rude, but you're not giving anyone who reads this thread much to work off of. Got any examples of where it would help?
In response to DivineTraveller
I'm not fully sure what I would do. I haven't looked into things very much cuz the smaller ideas always get shot down by the limit. First idea I had problems with was using the full screen to display markers with exact locations. The only way to do this is use pixel instead of tile.
In response to Dpheonix7
Or math. Every 32 pixels horizontally or vertically = one tile.
In response to Kaiochao
The point of this isn't for finding new ways to do things, but to suggest increasing a limit that is too restrictive in the first place. I know everyone is used to this limit, but that doesn't mean we need to hold on to it. I think we should have more options and control over how we want to do pixel offsets.
In response to Dpheonix7
Math isn't new, it's been around for a pretty long time O_o
In response to Kaiochao
Math aside. Please understand my point.
And I have lot's of things using math, the pixel limit still affects this.
As far as I know, pixel offsets are represented as a signed one byte integer (-127 to 128). Increasing it would also increase network overhead, which I'm not a big fan of.

It may be more complicated to work within the limits, but it pays off in the long run.
In response to SuperAntx
Well I don't see how big of an overhead it would cause for objects that don't move. Another 64 to 128 pixel increase shouldn't make a big difference.
In response to Dpheonix7
Wait, if they aren't moving then why are you even using pixel offsets?
In response to SuperAntx
One is for large icons that are created ingame and 2nd is to place an object on the screen with a pixel offset depending on a player var.
In response to Dpheonix7
All you have to do to bypass the 4 tile limit is move its tiles. Then you would only need 1 tile.
In response to Kaiochao
I have done that, but with overlays the pixel limit takes effect.
In response to Dpheonix7
Then use BigAtoms instead of overlays.
In response to Kaiochao
Ok before I get mad I'm redrawing this since no one understands that I'm asking about increasing a limit, not wanting to be told to do other things. I'm sorry to say this, but that is not helpful to keep saying do this instead. I guess no one wants to give developers more options.
Page: 1 2