ID:132811

Instead of having the countless rips floating around the hub. Why not create some sort of linking system.
ie. Instead of having 50 zeta rips floating around the hub, the original zeta hub would have a "hub" of its own. Listing all of the games based on its source at the bottom of one of its pages, or maybe even on a new "Mods" tab.
There could even be a separate ranking system for mods per hub.

This would give semi-credit/attention/player counts to the original developer, along with letting you know what you're generally about to be playing, and would help further clean up the hub.
The biggest issue would be how to properly get the rips attached to the appropriate original hub.

And if something like this is officially supported through DM (A variable that can't be easily changed which links to the original hub, certain files that can't be modified or removed, a new package option for mod-able sources, etc) it could lead to a whole new branch of acceptable development.
I like this idea. But are these rips generally acknowledged as such by the developer? That is, would they actively participate in organizing their games this way, or would it be something that would require heavy policing? Because if a "mod" were considered a negative, I fear people would cause a big fuss over this.

Also, where would we draw the line on what is a mod/rip and what isn't?
In response to Tom
Instead of it being shown as a rip/mod, it should be shown as a "similar" game, games based on the same source/same play would be shown as "similar" you would be able to list them by creation date or last time a server was up, and maybe it's "rip rating"(IF SUCH A THING EXISTS)
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
But are these rips generally acknowledged as such by the developer?

Depends what you mean by acknowledged? Do they know there are rips of their game out there? I'm sure they do. Are they out there playing/supporting them on a regular basis? Unlikely.
I'm not even sure if half of the original rip source owners are even still around.

That is, would they actively participate in organizing their games this way, or would it be something that would require heavy policing?

Well, organizing them as such should give them some bonuses. The mod's hub should have a link back to the original, giving it more traffic. The players in the mod should somehow be accounted for on the original hub's player count (maybe just as a separate number). It would also be giving them more official credit for creating the game to begin with. And if official systems were implemented, then certain games may be designed with modding in mind, in which case it would be beneficial to the original hub owner.

As I said. The hardest part would be coming up with a way to properly put the "mods" where they belonged. Giving the option to hub owners would most likely lead to games piggybacking on popular huds, or claiming non-"mods" as a mod of their game. And its been made pretty clear that no staff will be appointed to managing hub entries.

Because if a "mod" were considered a negative, I fear people would cause a big fuss over this.

lol because all the rips of people's games are currently considered a positive for them?

Also, where would we draw the line on what is a mod/rip and what isn't?

If a game is built off of another "game"'s source its a rip/mod. Simple as that. Whether that source was released willingly or stolen its still a mod.
And if methods were implemented directly into DM as I mentioned in my first post then there would be little-to-no need to distinguish on future projects, as they would be internally marked for mod usage.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
And its been made pretty clear that no staff will be appointed to managing hub entries.

Game judges, basically like BYOND Anime has, would be a nice workaround to that.
In response to Andre-g1
Andre-g1 wrote:
Game judges, basically like BYOND Anime has, would be a nice workaround to that.

lol BYOND Anime shouldn't be used as the guiding light under any circumstances. They fail on so many levels that its impossible to even describe.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Depends what you mean by acknowledged?

He means that the "mods" feature must be awknowledged by everyone who actually has a rip. Everyone that has a rip would have to manually add their game as a mod to the general game, or policing would be required to move these rips to the main hub entry as mods by dedicated staff.

If DBZ becomes a single hub entry with multiple "mods", while some will sign up and might even abide by certain rules (i.e. a standardized value for world.status explaining which mod it is, who is the host etc.) but the fear is that a lot of the people who run these DBZ rips simply won't register on this single hub entry but will instead keep their own separate hub entry.

I do this this feature has merit for implementation if only to provide hub://Exadv1.SpaceStation13 with this modding ability: all the different versions would be able to register themselves as mods. It would be awesome if these separate versions could also have their own medals/standings page, their own discussion pages, etc. whilst guild memberships and related games still belong to the main entry.

I'm not even sure if half of the original rip source owners are even still around.

In this case BYOND Staff can just add the hub entries on their behalf.

Well, organizing them as such should give them some bonuses.

I don't see any bonuses for these DBZ games here. As far as SS13 goes, different versions can have totally different game modes and features. But DBZ is pretty much all the same, except one version has SSJ up to SSJ4 and the other has SSJ16.

The mod's hub should have a link back to the original, giving it more traffic.

Pros: More traffic to the hub entry since all DBZ-related traffic would go there.
Cons: A lot of other "mods" distracting people from your version, unable to trick players into believing you're an original game by only providing new BYOND users the link to your hub.

The players in the mod should somehow be accounted for on the original hub's player count (maybe just as a separate number).

It would also be giving them more official credit for creating the game to begin with.

Pros: It gives the original author of the game credit for making the game.
Cons: A lot of these so-called "developers" want to pretend they've created the game, and they don't want to be denounced as being anybody important.

As I said. The hardest part would be coming up with a way to properly put the "mods" where they belonged. Giving the option to hub owners would most likely lead to games piggybacking on popular huds, or claiming non-"mods" as a mod of their game. And its been made pretty clear that no staff will be appointed to managing hub entries.

The owner of the hub entry can manage mods themselves, and perhaps assign people allowed to manage mods. The "Helper" functionality may have to be extended to allow for a simple permissions scheme (like ranks on a BYOND site have now). Unavailable owners (i.e. the original owners of the DBZ games) could simply have the entire staff of BYOND Anime added as helpers by BYOND Staff.

lol because all the rips of people's games are currently considered a positive for them?

It's not about that. They know it's not considered a positive for them, but even though they have a rip they can still go to their school and claim they've made a game, and post a link to the hub entry to prove it. By centralizing all games, you'll undermine some of these people's abilities to get all the credit for themselves.

Players might even leave a particular version of DBZ because they've just realized there are other DBZ games out there. In any case this whole thing is likely to at least cause some sort of fuzz.

If a game is built off of another "game"'s source its a rip/mod. Simple as that. Whether that source was released willingly or stolen its still a mod.

I agree with that one; if it's a derivative of the same source, it should be put on the same hub entry as a "mod".

And if methods were implemented directly into DM as I mentioned in my first post then there would be little-to-no need to distinguish on future projects, as they would be internally marked for mod usage.

What kind of "methods" are you referring to?

At the very least the value of world/hub would have to be changed. It would have to become something like "Author.GameName.ModAuthor.ModName", or "Author.GameName.ModName".

Then hub_password will have to be set to the authentication key for that particular mod as opposed to the generic hub entry.

A mod would basically be a "sub-hub entry" with the following functions:
  • Can have their own description, banner and logos.
  • Can have their own downloads and can redefine "single, multi, both".
  • Can have their own discussion page.
  • Their own authentication key (hub_password) to prevent abuse.
  • Their own medals/scores.
  • Their own submitted guilds.

• The main hub entry would have the following differences:
  • All guilds listed on the main hub entry are linked to any sub-entries as well.
  • Options on what to do with mod submissions: disable mods, auto-accept, queue for approval, manual entries only.
  • No reviews possible for the main hub entry if there is no "official" version available. (Turning reviews off completely would prevent your hub entry from having medals/scores, hosted games from appearing on that hub entry and any uploaded files will be treated as source-code instead of a game (like in Resources).)
In response to Android Data
Kaioken wrote:
As far as illegal goes, every game in BYOND Anime is quite illegal as it is.

Good Times. So are half the games in other guilds

Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Uh-huh. Incase you weren't aware, Masterdan hasn't been incharge of BYOND Anime for several months, so yeah.

Well that explains how those games have survived so long then =P

Do you have an off button?

That's getting old now, come up with something new.

You call everything but the generic anime games you make 'incompetent'.

I was calling their inability to enforce/follow their own guidelines incompetent, I said nothing about the actual games being incompetent.
And you're calling my game(s) generic? lol

Android Data wrote:
He means that the "mods" feature must be awknowledged by everyone who actually has a rip. Everyone that has a rip would have to manually add their game as a mod to the general game, or policing would be required to move these rips to the main hub entry as mods by dedicated staff.

Its pretty obvious when most rips are rips. You can usually tell before even creating a character. And as I said (for the 3rd time now) finding a way to properly stick them all in the right place will be the most difficult aspect.

If DBZ becomes a single hub entry with multiple "mods", while some will sign up and might even abide by certain rules (i.e. a standardized value for world.status explaining which mod it is, who is the host etc.) but the fear is that a lot of the people who run these DBZ rips simply won't register on this single hub entry but will instead keep their own separate hub entry.

It won't be a single hub entry. Each game will have its own hub entry just like it does now. They'll just all be displayed under the original game, instead of polluting the hub.

I don't see any bonuses for these DBZ games here. As far as SS13 goes, different versions can have totally different game modes and features. But DBZ is pretty much all the same, except one version has SSJ up to SSJ4 and the other has SSJ16.
Pros: More traffic to the hub entry since all DBZ-related traffic would go there.
Cons: A lot of other "mods" distracting people from your version, unable to trick players into believing you're an original game by only providing new BYOND users the link to your hub.
Pros: It gives the original author of the game credit for making the game.
Cons: A lot of these so-called "developers" want to pretend they've created the game, and they don't want to be denounced as being anybody important.

I don't see how any of those are valid, or even logical points. It almost sounds like you want to boost up the rippers around here. My goal is the opposite. To tide them down, make it well known they're ripping, and give the original game its due.
Though in future additions true modifications may be acceptable, that's far from the current situation.

The owner of the hub entry can manage mods themselves, and perhaps assign people allowed to manage mods. The "Helper" functionality may have to be extended to allow for a simple permissions scheme (like ranks on a BYOND site have now). Unavailable owners (i.e. the original owners of the DBZ games) could simply have the entire staff of BYOND Anime added as helpers by BYOND Staff.

And as I said in what you replied to. If it was setup as simply as that it would be massively abused.

It's not about that. They know it's not considered a positive for them, but even though they have a rip they can still go to their school and claim they've made a game, and post a link to the hub entry to prove it. By centralizing all games, you'll undermine some of these people's abilities to get all the credit for themselves.

Again you may be confused here. I'm not saying stick every single dbz game on 1 hub entry. I'm saying instead of displaying the 1000 zeta rip hub entries on the regular hub, display them in a hub section under the original zeta's hub.

What kind of "methods" are you referring to?

Mentioned them in my first post.

A mod would basically be a "sub-hub entry" with the following functions:

I see no reason to change much from how it is now. Just have the mods listed in the original game's hub, instead of randomly all around the BYOND hub.
And I don't see any point in all in have a mod-of-a-mod option.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:

Well, I don't think it's quite so straightforward. A game could be based off a library (eg, something like TakeTurns) or incorporate outside code (eg, CharacterHandling, which we see most DBZ games). I agree that if you take someone's source and just change a few things it's a rip, but aren't we looking at cases where the source has been tweaked or even rewritten to where it's not recognizable? I don't play these games but I do get a lot of support requests from people saying this sort of thing, defending the originality of their game, etc.

This would help me out. Of top 20 or 30 games currently listed in BYOND Anime, which ones would you consider rips, and rips of what?

I think your idea for games acknowledging themselves as "mods" via a hub-reference in the DM code is a good one... if people will use it. Little subcommunities around common game code would be a positive for those who play such games, and would also sequester these rips into a common place (which is obviously what you're trying to do here, which is fine by me).
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Again you may be confused here. I'm not saying stick every single dbz game on 1 hub entry. I'm saying instead of displaying the 1000 zeta rip hub entries on the regular hub, display them in a hub section under the original zeta's hub.

You think I want all those rips listed under my hub? Same thing goes for the other commonly ripped games. It usually isn't the intention for the sources to get out in the first place. In my case with Zeta I had absolutely nothing to do with any of the sources flying around out there so if I were to work on it again why should I be punished by having advertisements for these rips on my hub?
In response to Nick231
Nick231 wrote:
Falacy wrote:

You think I want all those rips listed under my hub? Same thing goes for the other commonly ripped games. It usually isn't the intention for the sources to get out in the first place. In my case with Zeta I had absolutely nothing to do with any of the sources flying around out there so if I were to work on it again why should I be punished by having advertisements for these rips on my hub?

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I didn't think that anyone would want to be associated with the rips of their own games, whether or not it is their fault.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
I can break it down for you.

Most of the Naruto based games are based off of WOTS
Most of the Bleach based games are based off, Bleach SoC, which some parts were based off of WOTS (I have proof if needed)
Most of the DBZ Games are based off of Rebirth(No hub).

The only problem is the hubs for SoC and Rebirth are no longer there.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Well, I don't think it's quite so straightforward. A game could be based off a library (eg, something like TakeTurns) or incorporate outside code (eg, CharacterHandling, which we see most DBZ games). I agree that if you take someone's source and just change a few things it's a rip, but aren't we looking at cases where the source has been tweaked or even rewritten to where it's not recognizable?

Which is more or less why I put "games" in quotes. If the original game's hub type wasn't marked as a game (demo/library) then it wouldn't be qualified as a mod. If anything, there could be an "Includes" tab that lists any libraries that the original makes use of.

I don't play these games but I do get a lot of support requests from people saying this sort of thing, defending the originality of their game, etc.

lol yea, they changed the title screen and the name of the game. It's some amazing custom games out there!
I once went through the hub playing all bleach games that were live at the time. If I remember correctly there were 22 rips and 4 originals.

This would help me out. Of top 20 or 30 games currently listed in BYOND Anime, which ones would you consider rips, and rips of what?

From the games I've seen hosted recently in the anime guild there are few, if any, rips remaining. But they usually don't have more than 30 or so games up at one time anymore either.

Nick231 wrote:

lol who the heck are you? I thought the original Zeta was by Reakwon. And yes, you should indeed be punished for destroying byond by losing your source.
And what do you care if your hub gets games on it? Doesn't even look like its used anymore.
If you have to be "punished" by having a bunch of the rips of your game listed on your hub, in order to get them off of the main hub; then so be it.

Axerob wrote:
Most of the Bleach based games are based off, Bleach SoC, which some parts were based off of WOTS (I have proof if needed)

I thought the Bleach rips were all from BLN. And I thought Rebirth was a Zeta rip to begin with.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Nick231 wrote:

lol who the heck are you? I thought the original Zeta was by Reakwon. And yes, you should indeed be punished for destroying byond by losing your source.
And what do you care if your hub gets games on it? Doesn't even look like its used anymore.
If you have to be "punished" by having a bunch of the rips of your game listed on your hub, in order to get them off of the main hub; then so be it.

I'm the one who's owned zeta for a long time and worked with Raekwon on it going back as far as 7 years.

And no, I had nothing to do with zeta source getting released. it happened before I had anything to do with it. If anything it's a product of BYOND's own reluctance to nip it in the bud. Unfortunately you know what they say about hindsight, but the current situation is no justification to lump them all together under the "parent" hub since most of the big offenders weren't intentional releases of source code. In the cases where it was intentionally released by all means lump them together (SS13 and such). But because one disgruntled team member got their panties in a wad and released the source as petty revenge is no reason to punish all the other people.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Its pretty obvious when most rips are rips. You can usually tell before even creating a character. And as I said (for the 3rd time now) finding a way to properly stick them all in the right place will be the most difficult aspect.

That's not the issue here. While you and I would be able to tell they're rips (although, as Tom said, there might be cases where it has become unrecognizable) the main issue here is if the people behind those rips are willing to have their hub entry linked to some kind of main hub entry.

It won't be a single hub entry. Each game will have its own hub entry just like it does now. They'll just all be displayed under the original game, instead of polluting the hub.

If nothing changes apart from a reference, then I don't see the benefit in this. The games would still be polluting the hub. The only thing you're adding here is something for these "game developers" to complain about.

I don't see how any of those are valid, or even logical points. It almost sounds like you want to boost up the rippers around here. My goal is the opposite. To tide them down, make it well known they're ripping, and give the original game its due.

And how many of these rippers will agree with you? If my DBZ game with SSJ16 is filed under "DBZ rip", what prevents me from just deleting my hub entry and recreating it to avoid this flag? Not all rips care about being listed in BYOND Anime, y'know. Some care simply about being credited for everything.

And as I said in what you replied to. If it was setup as simply as that it would be massively abused.

Massively abused? How so? It would basically be the same as your "linking hubs" idea, except it would all appear on a single hub entry. If you want to reach a DBZ game, you'll have to go through the original hub entry first, which could even contain a story of what happened.

And then what? Oh yay, all the DBZ games are listed under a single hub entry. But wait, they're still searchable? And the individual entries still show up under guilds like BYOND Anime?

And again, what's going to prevent me from simply recreating my hub once it gets flagged?

I see no reason to change much from how it is now. Just have the mods listed in the original game's hub, instead of randomly all around the BYOND hub.

The way you're putting it, you only want to show these games in someone else's hub entry. If I'm getting you right, I'm basically saying the same thing; to allow players to create a "sub-hub entry" if the main hub entry allows it, or to be able to submit such entries.

But even then, will people manually submit their games, or will BYOND Staff have to go through every DBZ game, modify it so it becomes a sub-hub of the main DBZ hub, and keep doing this every week as more and more people start up DBZ games and some people start recreating their hub entries because they don't want to be put with the rest.

And I don't see any point in all in have a mod-of-a-mod option.

This whole mod feature at least has some merit in communities who would actually be willing to use it (i.e. those not filled with 12 year olds trying to appear cool to their friends). In any case, I think it would be far more preferable to do this at the hub level.

For instance, I would go to the SS13 hub, click on an "Add Mod Entry" button, fill out almost the same information I'd need to fill out when I was making a regular hub entry, and voila: my mod would show up under the Exadv1.SpaceStation13 hub entry with its own medals/scores/description/discussion and would share any reputation it has with its parent.

Meanwhile, that sub-hub entry I would've just created would not show up in hub searches, nor can be submitted to guilds. (Although, if you search for the sub-hub entry it should point to the main hub entry.)

Now if this idea as I laid it out above would be implemented, I doubt many of these DBZ/Naruto/Bleach folks are going to be even willing to click the "Add Mod Entry" button in the first place.

And if it's not what you mean, then how exactly is your suggestion going to help anybody? If it's not going to suppress all the Anime crap from the hub searches and guilds, how is it going to reduce the spam of those games on the hub?
In response to Nick231
Nick231 wrote:
I'm the one who's owned zeta for a long time and worked with Raekwon on it going back as far as 7 years.

Doesn't sound like you were the original to begin with.
And I still don't think you people are seeing what I'm trying to get across here. It's not like there will just be a giant list of 30,000 servers from all the rips on your hub. There will be a separate section of links to their hub entries.
And wasn't the SS13 source completely jacked by a dmb extractor because the original developer left BYOND?
Falacy wrote:
Instead of having the countless rips floating around the hub. Why not create some sort of linking system.
ie. Instead of having 50 zeta rips floating around the hub, the original zeta hub would have a "hub" of its own. Listing all of the games based on its source at the bottom of one of its pages, or maybe even on a new "Mods" tab.
There could even be a separate ranking system for mods per hub.

This looks like my idea: grab all the hub entries of these Zeta rips, and link all of them to a single hub entry so they're no longer cluttering the hub. Instead, people will have to go through the parent entry (or search it locally) to find a Zeta game.

This would give semi-credit/attention/player counts to the original developer, along with letting you know what you're generally about to be playing, and would help further clean up the hub.
The biggest issue would be how to properly get the rips attached to the appropriate original hub.

Exactly the issue I've been talking about: how the heck are you going to convince all of these self-proclaimed "developers" to link their hub entry to the main hub to begin with?

And if something like this is officially supported through DM (A variable that can't be easily changed which links to the original hub, certain files that can't be modified or removed, a new package option for mod-able sources, etc) it could lead to a whole new branch of acceptable development.

"A variable that can't easily be changed which links to the original hub"? How exactly are you supposed to make "a variable that can't easily be changed"? Do you mean locking down world.hub? Because that variable needs to be writable in the first place to point to the right hub entry.

"Certain files that can't be modified or removed". BS: If I want to remove a file, it's going to go away. BYOND doesn't control my operating system, and if it wants to become a rootkit in order to prevent me from deleting files, I'm deleting BYOND itself off of my machine. Besides that, which files do you want to lock?

A new package option might be a good idea, but what's the point? What would the difference be between that option and "World Source Files"?

Falacy wrote:
Doesn't sound like you were the original to begin with.

I'm not too sure if he was the original, but he was involved with Raekwon back in the day on the "all new and improved DBZ", which was a recode of the original project.

Last I checked that project was actually given out to a third party. I don't know what happened to it from there on, though with the mentality of some of these community members it may have been leaked.

And I still don't think you people are seeing what I'm trying to get across here. It's not like there will just be a giant list of 30,000 servers from all the rips on your hub. There will be a separate section of links to their hub entries.

I ask of you: what would this separate section solve? The hub would still be cluttered with each of these individual hub entries. The best way to solve the issue is to grab those hub entries and put them "under" a parent hub entry, so that only the parent will show up in hub searches.

And wasn't the SS13 source completely jacked by a dmb extractor because the original developer left BYOND?

Hobnob did decompile the source-code. Then Exadv1 returned and put AZA and Murrawhip in charge of the source-code. Then Hobnob gave AZA and Murrawhip his version of the source because he implemented a neat power system.

Then AZA released the source-code. Not "leaked" as you might thing.

You see, Exadv1 actually gave AZA legal rights to SS13, so apparently AZA was legally allowed to release the SS13 source-code at that point. Apparently.

Of course now that the source-code is released, AZA is trying to regain control by making an "official SS13 which follows the vision of Exadv1". Except nobody gives a crap about his version because the goons (community from the SA forums whose programming team mostly consists of elitists who think they're better because they're from SA) have taken over and managed to improve SS13 (power in numbers).

But yeah, the source-code was legally released, not leaked, by AZA. Apparently.
Android Data wrote:
...the main issue here is if the people behind those rips are willing to have their hub entry linked to some kind of main hub entry.

Who the hell cares if they're willing? Last time I checked they didn't make sure it was OK with thieves before they threw them in jail.

If nothing changes apart from a reference, then I don't see the benefit in this. The games would still be polluting the hub.

Yea, you're obviously still not understanding the most basic concept of this discussion then.

...what prevents me from just deleting my hub entry and recreating it to avoid this flag?...

The ban button.

Massively abused? How so? It would basically be the same as your "linking hubs" idea, except it would all appear on a single hub entry. If you want to reach a DBZ game, you'll have to go through the original hub entry first, which could even contain a story of what happened.

If random ripper #9999 has full access to deciding what their game is a rip of, or what games have ripped them; you can't see how that will be abused? 4500 noobs will say their dbz game is a rip of Seika; the other 4500 noobs will say sieka is a rip of their dbz rip.

And then what? Oh yay, all the DBZ games are listed under a single hub entry. But wait, they're still searchable? And the individual entries still show up under guilds like BYOND Anime?

Guilds need to die altogether. I think they've had plenty of time to completely fail, and have doneso multiple times over. How long are we going to keep them around?
But no, the games shouldn't be search-able or displayable by themselves. They can add an option to "show games with mods" or something along those lines. Which will pop up the original hub. And from there you can browse the 30,000 rips of that game.

And again, what's going to prevent me from simply recreating my hub once it gets flagged?

And again, that fancy ban feature they have.

But even then, will people manually submit their games, or will BYOND Staff have to go through every DBZ game, modify it so it becomes a sub-hub of the main DBZ hub, and keep doing this every week as more and more people start up DBZ games and some people start recreating their hub entries because they don't want to be put with the rest.

For the 4th time now. FINDING A WAY TO PROPERLY LINK THESE RIPS WILL BE THE MOST COMPLICATED PART OF THIS PLAN.

And if it's not what you mean, then how exactly is your suggestion going to help anybody? If it's not going to suppress all the Anime crap from the hub searches and guilds, how is it going to reduce the spam of those games on the hub?

The anime guild is already pretty devoid of rips, so that's a pretty moot point. But yes, the goal here is to stop random rips from appearing all over the hub. If you want to play a rip, you have to go through the original's hub, into the mod section, where you can view nothing but the mods for that game.

It seems like you people are a little slow in the head, and not getting the general concept here, so just quiet down. Tom seems to understand it just fine, and since he's the only one that really matters and all...
To start off with, are you completely retarded? Or just completely against this idea? Or just too incompetent to comprehend it?

Android Data wrote:
This looks like my idea: grab all the hub entries of these Zeta rips, and link all of them to a single hub entry so they're no longer cluttering the hub. Instead, people will have to go through the parent entry (or search it locally) to find a Zeta game.

lol yes, my original post idea(s) looks like your replied idea(s).

Exactly the issue I've been talking about: how the heck are you going to convince all of these self-proclaimed "developers" to link their hub entry to the main hub to begin with?

I'm not going over this a 5th time.

"A variable that can't easily be changed which links to the original hub"? How exactly are you supposed to make "a variable that can't easily be changed"? Do you mean locking down world.hub? Because that variable needs to be writable in the first place to point to the right hub entry.

"Certain files that can't be modified or removed". BS: If I want to remove a file, it's going to go away. BYOND doesn't control my operating system, and if it wants to become a rootkit in order to prevent me from deleting files, I'm deleting BYOND itself off of my machine. Besides that, which files do you want to lock?

A new package option might be a good idea, but what's the point? What would the difference be between that option and "World Source Files"?

You should have more or less answered you own question(s), but I guess you didn't. The unmodifiable variable/irremovable files will be created in the new package method. If I create a hostable package, and send it out, it doesn't mean people can modify any variables they want (easily/directly) and they can't go deleting random files from the source.

I ask of you: what would this separate section solve? The hub would still be cluttered with each of these individual hub entries. The best way to solve the issue is to grab those hub entries and put them "under" a parent hub entry, so that only the parent will show up in hub searches.

Basically it would put all the rips in separate cages. You could view/search/browse all the zeta rips at once. But it would be known that they're all basically going to be the same game, and they wouldn't be popping up between every other hub entry, and there wouldn't be random hub entries thrown in with them in their cage =P

You see, Exadv1 actually gave AZA legal rights to SS13, so apparently AZA was legally allowed to release the SS13 source-code at that point. Apparently.

Apparently =P
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:

Axerob wrote:

I thought the Bleach rips were all from BLN. And I thought Rebirth was a Zeta rip to begin with.

BLN's sourcecode was never leaked, and thanks for reminding me that Rebirth wwas a zeta rip, I forgot :3.

And to be fair, i'm for the idea. It gives credit where credit is due =P.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5