ID:132717

Why is the "Frame Areas" option in the Map Editor grayed out and not usable in 460? After I upgraded to 460 from 454, it shows the option checked off under Options>Frame Areas, but it's not working.

I tried deleting my BYOND preferences folder, and it just took away the check mark but the option is still grayed out. Am I doing something wrong?
The map editor changed a lot from 454 to 455+; if "Frame Areas" changes the map view, then that feature was removed in 455, but will be back in 461.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
The map editor changed a lot from 454 to 455+; if "Frame Areas" changes the map view, then that feature was removed in 455, but will be back in 461.

Are there notes or a forum topic on this? Or are you guessing? I can't find anything about Frame Areas anywhere
In response to SilkWizard
If you're referring to "Change map view" option (I never used it, so I wouldn't know what its real name is), then this is where it was covered.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
If you're referring to "Change map view" option (I never used it, so I wouldn't know what its real name is), then this is where it was covered.

Nah, that's not it.
Yeah, like the small icon size, this got lost in the transition to the new map support. The gist of it is that it'd a little harder to support for iso views and we didn't feel like dealing with it at the time, so we opted to (temporarily) pull it. At the very least we can reinstate it for the old topdown view and deal with iso later. I wasn't sure if anyone actually used it but I see we have at least one! BTW, this is one of the oldest features on the mapper, dating back to the X-windows version of DUNG.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I wasn't sure if anyone actually used it but I see we have at least one!

Indeed. It's surprising to me that nobody noticed/complained about this going missing yet, because I personally use areas for a ton of stuff (like Point A to B teleporters etc).

Tom wrote:
BTW, this is one of the oldest features on the mapper, dating back to the X-windows version of DUNG.

I don't know much about how DUNG came about, but it sounds like it could be a really interesting story. An account of how you guys went from "Hey let's make a MUD!" to "Hey let's turn this into a game creation system!" would make for a cool History of BYOND page.
In response to Tom
I loved that feature. :O
I can't tell where mah areas are anymore! -cry cry-
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
I loved that feature. :O
I can't tell where mah areas are anymore! -cry cry-

I wondered where this went as well, but I wasn't exactly sure how to put it, so I opted out of saying anything.. but I want it back too!
In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
An account of how you guys went from "Hey let's make a MUD!" to "Hey let's turn this into a game creation system!" would make for a cool History of BYOND page.

I'd bet it could be summed up with the term "feature creep".