ID:278450

Hey gang, I'm currently not able to log in to a BYOND game with my pager. I can get into the game, I'm logged into my pager, but when I connect to the game, it's making me a guest.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? So far I've restarted the pager, restarted my pc, restarted my router, all with no success.
Disturbed Kat wrote:
Hey gang, I'm currently not able to log in to a BYOND game with my pager. I can get into the game, I'm logged into my pager, but when I connect to the game, it's making me a guest.

Your firewall is configured incorrectly. Dream Seeker can't verify your identity with the pager. Change your firewall settings so that all BYOND apps can use incoming and outgoing TCP connections, and turn off any hash checking.

Be sure to check the Windows firewall as well; some people inadvertently leave it on when they already have another one.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks. Windows firewall has been disabled for some time, and i disabled my AVG, but I'm still not able to connect. It's weird, a couple months ago I had no issues.

I know it's my laptop too, I tried on the roommate's pc and got right in.
In response to Disturbed Kat
Anyone know what else I can do? As far as I can see there aren't any firewalls. up, or anything that should be prohibiting it.

The router isn't the issue....I think it has something to do with Vista having my pc on lockdown.
In response to Disturbed Kat
Disturbed Kat wrote:
Anyone know what else I can do? As far as I can see there aren't any firewalls. up, or anything that should be prohibiting it.

The router isn't the issue....I think it has something to do with Vista having my pc on lockdown.

Indeed the router most definitely is not the issue. This is 100% a firewall problem, even if the firewall is more of a security wall.

If Vista is having permission issues then it's functioning as a de facto firewall. Resolving those issues though is really something you'll get better answers on from a Windows forum. Specifically, you'll want to find out if anything in the permissions manager (or whatever they call it) can interfere with network activity like opening ports, and if so how to disable it.
In response to Lummox JR
My firewall already has BYOND as an exception, but I'm still having this issue. I'm using windows security essentials and windows firewall.
In response to Argonus
Argonus wrote:
My firewall already has BYOND as an exception, but I'm still having this issue. I'm using windows security essentials and windows firewall.

What are the specifics of that configuration? Which apps have you made the exception for, and what do the settings look like?
In response to Lummox JR
I have BYOND pager exempted on UTP and TCP connections across all ports, same thing for dreamseeker.
In response to Argonus
Ok I tested something by turning off my firewall entirely and trying to connect to a game, same problem. However, I've noticed that the blue long in box that displays the BYOND logo when you connect to a game remains open constantly when connected to a game, perhaps it's stuck on a task and not getting to the log-in process? Either way it seems to be a BYOND issue.
In response to Argonus
You only need TCP, not UDP, but you do need to make sure it can do incoming and outgoing connections. You also need to be sure that the firewall does not do any version checking, like an MD5 hash, to see if the file changes.

The splash screen not closing is almost certainly related to DS logging you in as a guest, because the splash screen is closed when DS tells the pager to do so. The guest login issue is always caused by DS not being able to reach the pager, which means a firewall or something that acts like one is interfering.

You either have another firewall you're not aware of, or your firewall is still not configured correctly.