ID:151303

I am looking to develop an original game idea I have been toying with in my mind over the past week. I'm a basic programmer when it comes to BYOND and can usually find ways to make things work by either trial and error, or by searching the forums for what I need.

My question today is, when starting this project should I use a starter source to work up from or should I make the game from scratch? The game is going to be your standard RPG, top down and probably going to just utilize a hack and slash style fighting system.

If you think I should use a starter source do you have any suggestions for a fairly decent one/modern one?
I think it's always better to make from scratch. You learn something new with every line, also it's easier to understand own code.
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
I think it's always better to make from scratch. You learn something new with every line, also it's easier to understand own code.

This is exactly what I thought. I have a large fear though that my own coding will not provide uptimum performance for the game as it'll probably be extremely bulky and outdated.

I also feel like there are already some good systems out there (saving and loading for example) and these systems were made for others to use and learn from, so is it okay that I use those if I were to code from scratch? Or should I literally attempt to code every line using my own resources?
In response to Slayde
Learning from Trial and Error is always the best option. If you really want to learn something new quickly. Look it up in the Reference or meander through the forums. There are quite a few things that I learned simply by opening up the Reference, and even today, I still break it open to review the subject matters that I've not gone very deeply into yet.
In response to Slayde
If someone made library or demo it doesn't mean it's fully optimized. Plus you'll never learn to write efficient/optimized code if you never try.
In response to Slayde
Slayde wrote:
This is exactly what I thought. I have a large fear though that my own coding will not provide uptimum performance for the game as it'll probably be extremely bulky and outdated.

LOL. I don't know what kind of source you were considering, but they're pretty much all shit. You're better off not having anything to do with them.

I also feel like there are already some good systems out there (saving and loading for example) and these systems were made for others to use and learn from, so is it okay that I use those if I were to code from scratch? Or should I literally attempt to code every line using my own resources?

Using libraries and using sources are completely different. Libraries are there to provide basic functionalities that a lot games will need or features that are complicated/difficult for new developers to make for themselves. Definitely make use of the libraries that are available, but in doing so, be sure to study them and learn how they work.
Falacy's rpg starter covers alot of basics and more
In response to Robertbanks2
Well, these 'sources' aren't actual ripped sources or anything. They too are open source and made with the purpose of people using them to start a game up (I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs right now). So really my debate was whether to use one of these open source starter libraries to go ahead with my idea.

I've started making it without any external coding though and to be honest, it feels a lot better and cleaner. I'm aware of every bit of coding and can just add what I need to.
In response to Slayde
Slayde wrote:
Well, these 'sources' aren't actual ripped sources or anything. They too are open source and made with the purpose of people using them to start a game up (I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs right now). So really my debate was whether to use one of these open source starter libraries to go ahead with my idea.

How exactly is this teaching me to suck eggs?
In response to Robertbanks2
Because I'm telling you that a starter source isn't a ripped source, it's an open-source package to aid the creation of new games, and you probably already knew this.
In response to Slayde
I had assumed, quite reasonably considering the abundance of rippers around BYOND, that you were talking about using one of the many leaked fan-game sources.

Regardless, the "open-source" all encompassing libraries pretty much cover things that you should be able to do for yourself if you're ready to make a full game, and if you can't, you probably need the practice anyway. Not to mention, as someone else stated, there is no guarantee of quality just because it is a library, they could just as easily be as bad as a naruto rip.
In response to Slayde
It may be open source, but that doesn't validate how well it's done.