ID:278104

So right now at work we are playing Magic the Gathering on our breaks. Which is fun, but someone else said Risk might be cool.

Well I do enjoy Risk, but the game can usually take awhile. So I was thinking.. Does anyone know where I could get basically a laminated poster of the Risk game board? Then we could use markers to put down troops and then roll it up and put it away when our breaks are over.
That is one of the most badass ideas I've ever heard.

Unfortunately I don't have any useful information to offer, but if you get an answer please let me know. :D
This would be easy to make yourself. Create a 22-inch by 16-inch PDF of the board you want, take it to a print shop, and get it printed and laminated. It will probably cost you $10 or less.
In response to PirateHead
I am looking for like, a print of the Risk board though. I haven't found anything yet.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
I am looking for like, a print of the Risk board though. I haven't found anything yet.

Using PirateHead's advice, I just found this using Google's image search. It's not a pdf, but it works.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/ Risk_board.svg/750px-Risk_board.svg.png

All you have to do is get something like that printed in large size, as he suggested, and then get it laminated. Presto, super sweet Risk board.

There were a bunch of other cool ones too. Just look around until you find what you like. Some have extra junk on them though, so you might have to edit some of the images.
In response to Loduwijk
Yeah I already found that one. I was hoping someone had been crazy enough to just copy the Risk board for one reason or another.
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
I was hoping someone had been crazy enough to just copy the Risk board for one reason or another.

How do you know that's not what that screenshot is from? There is more than 1 style of risk board, as it's not a new game, and different releases have had different styles.

If you have a specific board release you're hoping to find, try finding more detailed information on that board and use it in the Google search. That might turn something up.

But if all you want is just "a board to play risk on" then anything should work. Heck, when I was younger and I wanted to play risk and didn't have the game, I got some cardboard, drew the continents on it and the appropriate country boundaries, and drew on the connection lines for oversea movement. I then used that homemade board several times; worked great.
In response to Loduwijk
If I am going to spend money on having it laminated and stuff, I'd like to find the nice, classy kind with the numbers, dotted lines, ect, ect on it. Just like when you buy the game and have the official board.
What specifically is the linked board missing? It's an SVG, so it would be trivially easy to modify it (and convert to high-res PDF or JPEG for printing.)

Edit: To demonstrate, I created a preview of what the board will look like once Ubuntu has conquered all:
Though your proopenfreesoftwarebabble sometimes gets annoying, that image is hilarious. Definitely needs to be the wallpaper on the next major release.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Though your proopenfreesoftwarebabble sometimes gets annoying

Haresy! How can you say such a thing? proopenfreesoftwarebabble is the natural way of utopian virtual-society. There is no reason to continue paying for expensive software (or software that comes with expensive OS) that is sometimes not as good, often is less secure (A while back there was a security advisory about wordpad... WORDPAD of all things; epic critical natural-1 failure).

I would write a lot more, but I'll stop at that since I'm getting off topic.

And yes, that Ubuntu-dominated world was awesome, and that would definately make a great ad.
GNU/PirateHead wrote:
To demonstrate, I created a preview of what the board will look like once Ubuntu has conquered all

What a coincidence, so have I!

:P
If I believe so, Risk used to have some sort of rules written on the board or something. I can't remember. When I can dig out my old Risk board I'll take a look.
In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
GNU/PirateHead wrote:
To demonstrate, I created a preview of what the board will look like once Ubuntu has conquered all

What a coincidence, so have I!

:P

Oh, epic. Just epic.
Lummox should make a version of his RISK clone that uses OS markers.

heck, a RL game set would be neat too.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
Haresy! How can you say such a thing?

Even as a pro-open source and pro-copyleft and pro-etc. sort-of guy, I can find that reading just half-a-dozen posts of PirateHead espousing his opinions on such things makes me want to make sure that he never sees the light of... er, makes it very easy to say things like that.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Loduwijk wrote:
Haresy! How can you say such a thing?

Even as a pro-open source and pro-copyleft and pro-etc. sort-of guy, I can find that reading just half-a-dozen posts of PirateHead espousing his opinions on such things makes me want to make sure that he never sees the light of... er, makes it very easy to say things like that.

Watching somebody challenge the status quo makes you deeply uncomfortable? Imagine that, in a society like ours...
I didn't say it made me uncomfortable, nor did I say that you challenging the status quo is what bugs me. I can probably sufficiently say that you're annoying in the same was a Christian fundamentalist is.
Popisfizzy wrote:
I didn't say it made me uncomfortable, nor did I say that you challenging the status quo is what bugs me. I can probably sufficiently say that you're annoying in the same was a Christian fundamentalist is.

Far be it from me to put words in your mouth: I infer that my challenging the status quo makes you uncomfortable based on your response. Since you're already pro-copyleft and pro-software-freedom, it probably isn't the content of my posts that makes you uneasy: it's the fact that I'm unapologetically asking people to change and to think differently.

If you'd like to discuss further, please start a new thread in Community. Hate to derail the Risk thread any further. :-)
Linux < Crazy religious fanatics.
Page: 1 2