ID:157248

We've all played games like Age of Empires and Rise of Nations. Great RTS games that give you control of a civilization to crush your enemies by military or economic means.

My question is, is it possible with BYOND to make a mini-map like in these games. If so, how would you go about it?
In response to Super Saiyan X
Thanky Kindly.

Turns out I was going about it wrong, trying to use a second map element to just display the world as though the user had a really big view.
F0lak wrote:
My question is, is it possible with BYOND to make a mini-map like in these games.

It would depend on what you define as 'like in these games'.
If you mean as efficient as in these games, the answer would be no, sadly enough. I've created a feature request asking for a new interface element (mini-map), but sadly enough never got a reply. Maybe I should do this again with the new tracker ;)
The problem is the amount of client-sided information and processing involved. As you can guess, creating an image for several clients whenever something happens is VERY resource intense on the server.

http://www.byond.com/members/Zaltron/files/minimap.zip

I made this awhile back and updated it a couple month ago. I gave up on the project so you might as well benefit from it. I have made a minimap system. The minimap will look through all the icons and find the most common color then it will generate a minimap based on those colors when the game loads. I didn't make a detailed map so you can't really tell it's generating a map based on the graphics. I replaced all the graphics with dumbed down graphics used because they are my brother's models and they aren't mine to give away.

the mselect code is a lib found here: http://www.byond.com/developer/Metamorphman/mSelect

You can move guys around by selecting them using left click then right clicking to tell them where to go. They will update their position on the minimap. I have it generate a pointer for each mob when tehy are created and delete that pointer when they are deleted. Their pointer position updates as they move

I am in a rush to get to work so I don't know if I missed anything, enjoy. :)

Here is an older version of my map generator: http://www.byond.com/developer/Zaltron/MiniMapGenerator this lib has a demonstration of how the map is generated based on the icons.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
It would depend on what you define as 'like in these games'.

Efficiency isn't my main concern with the system, as I know client-side processes with BYOND are a bi- I mean... rather difficult.

What I mean is something that will show all the terrain (elevation, resources, water/ground), and then the units, colour coded by owner.
In response to Zaltron
Hey, this was a really useful post, thank you so much. =] I was wondering the same thing, Just never knew how to word it correctly to get help. Lol. I like the older version of your map then the newer on I think. I looks more detailed to me. But then again, that might just be me.
In response to Moussiffer
Moussiffer wrote:
Hey, this was a really useful post, thank you so much. =] I was wondering the same thing, Just never knew how to word it correctly to get help. Lol. I like the older version of your map then the newer on I think. I looks more detailed to me. But then again, that might just be me.

The newer one was part of an RTS project that I was making. I didn't have a map made to go with it. It is more efficient and less buggy than the old one and it has more features. Try replacing the old one with the new one. You will need to make some changes if you don't want it to display the mini-map on a separate map control.
In response to Zaltron
Hmm Ill give thats a try. =]