BYOND is full of imitation games. Honestly, if one game "looks good" or has interesting systems. The next kid in line will try to copy and succeed, which only leads to failure. Real talk.
In response to Branks
Branks wrote:
BYOND is full of imitation games. Honestly, if one game "looks good" or has interesting systems. The next kid in line will try to copy and succeed, which only leads to failure. Real talk.

Yes, this is how it works for anime games, but I have yet to see a nestalgia or decadence clone.
Branks wrote:
BYOND is full of imitation games. Honestly, if one game "looks good" or has interesting systems. The next kid in line will try to copy and succeed, which only leads to failure.
These "imitation" games are less "imitation" and more like identical copies. They are just the same exact source(s) with a new title and a claim of being 100% original.

Techgamer wrote:
Yes, this is how it works for anime games, but I have yet to see a nestalgia or decadence clone.
Probably because neither of those games are popular, nor have they released their source by accidentally tripping over the keyboard, or whatever excuse all these other rips are using.
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
I still dont like Minecrack

try playing A.P.B... its a fun GTA style online game thats free to play

I've had loads of fun on A.P.B.
I have an Enforcer character.
In response to Mr. Robert
Mr. Robert wrote:

Have they fixed that game up any since it went free to play? It was so broken when it first came out that it was just ridiculous, and I had to pay like 60 dollars for it back then! I tried it when it first went free to play, but it didn't seem like they had made much of any improvements in the years worth of time between bankruptcy and free to play release.
In response to Techgamer
Techgamer wrote:

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. What people copy is a set of design principles, everything else is secondary. Players need some kind of limitless power level, lots of character customization, and a bunch of crazy abilities. What anime the game is about doesn't matter. DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, all that is interchangeable.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Players need some kind of limitless power level, lots of character customization, and a bunch of crazy abilities.

Well, get to work?
http://www.byond.com/games/ChrisGayle/SpiritAge

We just recently moved into beta. Its an rpg set in a fictional colonial era where magic shapes the world.Character development is open ended, and players can pretty much build unique characters with few limitations. We expect to have the game fully playable sometime next month.

*That hosted server is simply the central server which; which esstentially is a portal to all hosted games.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Mr. Robert wrote:

Have they fixed that game up any since it went free to play? It was so broken when it first came out that it was just ridiculous, and I had to pay like 60 dollars for it back then! I tried it when it first went free to play, but it didn't seem like they had made much of any improvements in the years worth of time between bankruptcy and free to play release.

Unfortunately, probably not. Although the last time I've played was 3+ months ago.
The new company that owns it doesn't seem to care about bug fixes, but instead throwing out new pay-to-rent weapons and cars.
In response to Mr. Robert
Teka123 wrote:
Thank you for mentioning me Orange, I am trying my best :) and yes i am in the lowest tier of Byonds designers/programmers/pixel artists, I'm.. quite bad.

People on my level need a lot more straight forward Guidance.

To be Honest I believe I am on the same Level...
I Would like an easy place to search for pieces of code that i could use, learn from, alter and hopefully improve.

I learned from Studying Strais various Sources that he Released... (His old sources not his new crap) Not sure if that is a good thing...

SasukeRaver wrote:
I agree with you byond has too many incomplete projects people tend to say they want to make a game and before they have even reached the half-way marker they quit or are just too dam lazy to finish it off.

I admit I am a horrible offender of this... I am actually going back and working on a few of the ones I dropped and making them better... Streets of Compton comes to mind....

Mr. Robert wrote:
I have an Enforcer character.

I have yet to get it working on this craptastic computer... But I do want to give it a try eventually

Mr. Robert wrote:
Falacy wrote:
Mr. Robert wrote:

Unfortunately, probably not. Although the last time I've played was 3+ months ago.
The new company that owns it doesn't seem to care about bug fixes, but instead throwing out new pay-to-rent weapons and cars.

Well that may be partly true but it seems they always feel the need to spam their Facebook with Bug fixes and Updates... so you might want to check it out every now and then...
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
I learned from Studying Strais various Sources that he Released... (His old sources not his new crap) Not sure if that is a good thing...

Nope
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Well, get to work?

Are you suggesting I should drop whatever I'm doing and make yet another Zeta clone? Good idea.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Are you suggesting I should drop whatever I'm doing and make yet another Zeta clone? Good idea.

Depends, does whatever you're currently working on have several hundred players online like all the Zeta clones do?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:

Nope

but your outbreak game was awesome...

Falacy wrote:
SuperAntx wrote:

Depends, does whatever you're currently working on have several hundred players online like all the Zeta clones do?

I beg to differ... DBZ Hypnotic Existence is dead... and Infinite worlds hasn't been touched in years... same could be said for all of the zeta games that stick with the old style...
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:

No, I've come to realize I don't care for that particular genre of game. I'm not a community manager and as such I prefer to work on smaller scale projects where I can just focus on pure game mechanics.

What I'm currently working on should be able to take full advantage of the Flash client, but with recent setbacks it might not be released in time. Perhaps I'll create an entry on Rocket Hub and use whatever cash that gets me to hire a professional artist who gets things done.
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
but your outbreak game was awesome...
Gameplay wise, maybe. But the code is definitely not something to learn from.

SuperAntx wrote:
No, I've come to realize I don't care for that particular genre of game.
Unless you're only making the game for yourself to play, that shouldn't be very relevant. Why would you intentionally design a game that you know nobody in your target audience is going to like?

it might not be released in time
lol I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry trying to beat the release of the Flash client. I'd be surprised If that thing ever gets released.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Unless you're only making the game for yourself to play, that shouldn't be very relevant. Why would you intentionally design a game that you know nobody in your target audience is going to like?

I disagree. You should definitely strive to make a game you enjoy playing. What's the point of making games if it's a empty, joyless experience? Would you rather be making games for the sole purpose of profit?

lol I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry trying to beat the release of the Flash client. I'd be surprised If that thing ever gets released.

I bet they're a lot farther along than they let on. They're probably just checking off different features in order to get it up to the same level as the Dream Seeker client.

When I said the game is designed to take full advantage of the Flash client, what I should have said is it's designed to be compatible with it. This of course means designing the game to work with a minimal amount of flashy effects and only having a map panel.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
I disagree. You should definitely strive to make a game you enjoy playing.
You should strive for both. You shouldn't set out to make a game for a specific audience, and then ignore what that audience wants. At the same time, making a game that you actually enjoy playing can inspire you to work on it.

Would you rather be making games for the sole purpose of profit?
How much profit are we talking about? I will certainly make a terrible game, that I hate to play, if it makes me rich in return.
I agree with Falacy, enjoying the game you create shouldn't be your only priority.
Yut Put wrote:
Higoten wrote:
Spirt Age by Chris Gayle seems to be nearing / in beta testing.

keep dreaming. the game's barely playable, and they've been at it for months

I know...so much beautiful art is wasted.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5