ID:248472

Keywords: byond, linux
(See the best response by Nadrew.)
I just tried a fresh install of BYOND on a linux server, and every time I try to run DreamDaemon or DreamDownload, I get "Floating point exception" (as seen here).

What's going wrong, and how can I fix it?
The Internet is being very unhelpful with what "Floating point expectation" is suppose to mean.

But, from what I could make out, it sounds like this error can occur from trying to run a 32 bit program on a 64 bit sever in the wrong environment, or an AMD processor near overheating.

So, you could try looking into both of those. Sorry I don't have any other leads (I actually know absolutely nothing of Linux).
I believe BYOND only comes in the 32-bit variant. I don't believe it's been compiled for a 64-bit Linux environment.

This almost looks be something wrong with the BYOND software itself, nothing you did?

Does this happen on another machine with the same zip?
In response to Higoten
Higoten wrote:
The Internet is being very unhelpful with what "Floating point expectation" is suppose to mean.

But, from what I could make out, it sounds like this error can occur from trying to run a 32 bit program on a 64 bit sever in the wrong environment, or an AMD processor near overheating.

So, you could try looking into both of those. Sorry I don't have any other leads (I actually know absolutely nothing of Linux).

So did you just Google something for him that you know nothing about?...
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:

That is correct, I did rummage through a Google search for roughly 25 minutes, looking for people who have received a similar error, in roughly the same conditions, and found a answer to that problem.
In response to Higoten
Higoten wrote:
OrangeWeapons wrote:

That is correct, I did rummage through a Google search for roughly 25 minutes, looking for people who have received a similar error, in roughly the same conditions, and found a answer to that problem.

GGG
DivineTraveller wrote:
I just tried a fresh install of BYOND on a linux server, and every time I try to run DreamDaemon or DreamDownload, I get "Floating point exception" (as seen here).

What's going wrong, and how can I fix it?

I'm assuming you copied the libbyond.so and libext.so files to the /lib folder, otherwise it would be complaining about that. My only assumption would be the same as Flame Sage, that you're running 64 bit linux, and it's not liking that.

I downloaded, installed, and tested this on 32bit Ubuntu 11.10 and had no problems.

BYOND 4.0 Public (Version 492.1116) on Linux
Best response
You should make sure you have the 'ia32-libs' package installed as well.
In response to Flame Sage
I don't really know -- I don't have another machine with similar specs to test it on.

I'm fairly certain I'm running 32-bit (clicky).

I also do not have root, so I can't install anything system-wide.