In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
You shouldn't set out to make a game for a specific audience, and then ignore what that audience wants.

I never said don't take feedback, I said don't make an RPG if you don't enjoy making RPG's.
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:
I agree with Falacy, enjoying the game you create shouldn't be your only priority.

It seems to have worked with Minecraft thus far.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
It seems to have worked with Minecraft thus far.

How many people play vanilla Minecraft? Even the base game is about what the player wants to do. You can create your own character skin, dig a hole, build your own city, and stab some Zombies.
all the games I work on and put out are all games that I would totally play... hell I even play a little rotting aftermath when im bored... I never make games with the sole intention of profiting... hell I never even try to profit from them... I believe that games should be a free and fun alternative to things like doing hard drugs (no one cares about weed bro...), and killing people IRL....
Nobody's target audience should be the people on this site if they're making an original game. That's something I've said several times. 90% of the people on this site are anime-obsessed children, so if you want your original game to have a player base, you're going to be doing a lot of external promotion. It's the only reason games like SS13 have players in it right now - because at some point, it caught the attention of people outside of BYOND.

It's ridiculous to make yet another anime game just because that's all the people on this site love to play.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
if you want your original game to have a player base, you're going to be doing a lot of external promotion. It's the only reason games like SS13 have players in it right now - because at some point, it caught the attention of people outside of BYOND.
External promotion doesn't mean all that much. NEStalgia had the biggest external campaign of any BYOND game ever, rivaling that of non-BYOND indie games, even after all that, its player counts can barely compare to BYOND games that primarily offer on-site promotion. The reason SS13 has a lot of players is because of the very mechanics that Antx mentioned before: An endless amount of meaningless content, and a lack of real gameplay to encourage RPing. Two of the most played games listed in the anime section are Zeta rips with their anime specific content "removed".
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
How many people play vanilla Minecraft? Even the base game is about what the player wants to do. You can create your own character skin, dig a hole, build your own city, and stab some Zombies.

I think that you've missed the point. Notch has consistently stated that he adds things to the game that he thinks are fun, and that add to the overall playability of the game. If it doesn't feel right, it comes out. And as for modding, they may have been putting it off for a while, but they're adding an official modding API.
I agree
Actually, Notch has stated that he doesn't always listen to his players.

"But I'm going to do it my way, not just going through items in a list someone else wrote."

Part of game development is listening, but an even more important part is knowing what's best for your game and how to do it outside of how your player base suggests. I was active on the Rumble Fighter forum and they had a Suggestion section which was filled with some of the most ridiculous balance-breaking, over-powered, looney crap I had ever seen. They wanted to be able to transform into giant invulnerable beetles that did a thousand damage, or they would say that x-item is over powered ( it wasn't ) and suggest it be nerfed. Not every suggestion is worth implementing.
OrangeWeapons wrote:
I can't seem to find more than a few games that interest me. I started playing BYOND about 5 years back. I was really into the anime scene, but that died out quick as many of the game's creators have seemed to lose interest or slow on the development scene.

Most BYOND users are inexperienced, they develop games as a hobby, and they aim too high. Game development isn't easy and those factors make it even more unlikely that BYOND users will finish projects. Many BYOND users come up with good ideas but don't have the ability to easily implement their idea. Coding the game is too cumbersome that they never get to the point where the game is functioning and they can tweak how things work. The project gives them a little bit of experience at coding but very little experience at game design.

Lack of artwork is a relatively new excuse, but it really means "lack of ideas". There's nothing to be ashamed of, it's hard to think of good game ideas.
I assumed lack of artwork meant "my game needs to look astounding in order for it to attract players".

Google "Four Winds Fantasy".
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Google "Four Winds Fantasy".

Damn nice a game that's artwork rivals my own!

I don't know how many of you know about my game but i will honestly say, it's not visually stunning or programmed amazingly.

But i have a lot of ideas, i can draw what i need to be drawn, I'll make my game, I'll get help when i can and i'll do my best to make it fun, and an adventure and quirky too.

It won't be professional quality, but i hope some day you guys won't mind playing it.
of course I will play it... I mean the only other alternatives are Nestalgia, Iccursion (or whatever) and Proliem...

anyway I to have alot of Ideas spewing forth from my head at all times...

the only problem is that those Ideas fade after a certain amount of time... and my fairly sub par coding skills... but I still try..
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
of course I will play it... I mean the only other alternatives are Nestalgia, Iccursion (or whatever) and Proliem...

anyway I to have alot of Ideas spewing forth from my head at all times...

the only problem is that those Ideas fade after a certain amount of time... and my fairly sub par coding skills... but I still try..

Get these two things:
-A notebook
-A pen

=) Carry them around with you and write ideas down. They'll last longer that way.
sadly my handwriting is horrid and my drawings are worse...
I know there are games with awful graphics and a HUGE Playerbase, but nearly all the people (including me) hate the fact of waiting weeks / months to get icons, and we can't use icons from another games because that'd look bad... [For more information, play Zeta RIPs].

I wanted to make an original game two years ago, I had that motivation few months ago aswell, but without icons I can't do anything, I can't imagine how to make the things without them. So it's a big problem to a lot of developers.
Even if I started looking for iconers (I've tried to a couple times) I wouldn't find much, they want to be paid, I'd pay, but with no money, I can't do much.
Wow Orange, notebook and pens? That's the Stone Age. Please upgrade to saving notes on a mobile device. We are not cavemen.
I used to carry a notebook with me and write all of my ideas down. Five notebooks and seven years later, I don't know where any of them are, but I can still remember a lot of the ideas because I can remember writing them down. And writing on a mobile device is horrid. The keyboards aren't set up to not be annoying, and most smart phones don't have keyboards.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Wow Orange, notebook and pens? That's the Stone Age. Please upgrade to saving notes on a mobile device. We are not cavemen.

I'm 17. Want to buy me one of these devices? I could barley afford a decent computer.

Also - writing ideas down gives you the ability to draw out your ideas
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:
I could barely* afford a decent computer.
This...

Also - writing ideas down gives you the ability to draw out your ideas
And this.

And I went to school for graphic design for a while, where you're taught to use paper and pencil for sketches before you ever touch the computer.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5