I was just joking. Also, those devices aren't THAT expensive. They just had a sale at the end of last year for a tablet for like $90.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57341021-64/ hp-touchpad-set-to-go-on-sale-today-for-$99/
It's pretty difficult to write ideas down without a keyboard. If I had that, I'd end up using a touch pen in a paint program to write all my notes down. Then what's the point? Paper costs less.
I'm not sure where people got the idea that you have to pay for graphics instead of making them yourself. Most BYOND users are terrible programmers and map makers but that doesn't stop them from trying.
I have no idea. No matter how many times people say "gameplay > graphics", people still believe the opposite...
Different people think differently on the graphics:gameplay debate. Personally, the graphics have to be better than the gameplay for me to stay interested. However there still has to be decent gameplay.
Graphics have more or less hit a standards-wall over the last several years. A game either looks just as good as everything else, or it looks like complete crap, rarely is there anything in between. Even more rarely are graphics even differentiated by style anymore.
A game has two main parts; frontend and backend. Gameplay is backend, graphics are frontend. Gameplay is the most important thing. If your game is fun, people will play it. If it's not, they won't. Graphics are going to be the first impression though, and some people are shallow.
Well, just think of it this way. How many times have you played a game and said "This game is terrible, but the graphics are so damn good I just can't put it down." compared to the times you have said "This game doesn't have great graphics, but it sure is fun!"
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I have no idea. No matter how many times people say "gameplay > graphics", people still believe the opposite...

I don't think it has to do with their perceived importance. Those who value gameplay don't pay for programming or map making as readily as people pay for graphics. Some BYOND users actually think you have to shell out $500+ on graphics to make a game. They think that's how game development works.

I get the impression that BYOND users don't even try to make icons. People don't consider themselves to be pixel artists so they don't even try to make icons. This is strange behavior, considering these same people try to code games even though they're terrible programmers. If anything, most BYOND users are more qualified at pixel art than at programming, yet they'd take a hack at programming themselves and insist on hiring a pixel artist.
Drawing people in isn't what you should be worried about. It's keeping them there once they start playing. Warcraft isn't successful because it caught people's eye, but because people didn't want to stop playing it once they started. Just getting players to at least try your game is only half the battle. I've TRIED dozens of MMOs, but only play 2. That number should go up to 3 once DotA 2 comes out of its dreadful beta. ;D
In regard to RPG games being so plentiful:

RPG games seem to be the easiest game to build on BYOND and one of the first things people try to make. For quite some time, there were three basic guides on how to code the beginnings of a very simple RPG, Strategy game, and I think Boardgames which were usually one of the first things people would find, not to mention quite a few basic sources that were in the demo/library section for RPGs and not really a whole lot of anything else.

Anime and fangame RPGs had this even easier, you didn't have to put any real thought on how the mobs or terrain had to look, nor techniques or lore building because you already had a franchise to build off of, not to mention if you were extremely lazy, you'd grab one of many sources lying around and change the title screen and call it a day. Bonus points if your game gave 100 levels every 5 seconds or was KoreaHard Grinding. Now nobody wants to really make anime games now making the overall new games coming out slow down.
In response to Veemonthedemonking
Veemonthedemonking wrote:
Anime and fangame RPGs had this even easier, you didn't have to put any real thought on how the mobs or terrain had to look, nor techniques or lore building because you already had a franchise to build off of, not to mention if you were extremely lazy, you'd grab one of many sources lying around and change the title screen and call it a day. Bonus points if your game gave 100 levels every 5 seconds or was KoreaHard Grinding.

bahh back when I was doing zeta games... I used to look through the coding and try to figure out how it would work (I can tell you from experience that there are many different coding styles to zeta... even before new zeta came out) Then I would try to Modify it myself and add/ delete different mobs/turfs/objs/procs/vars... Most of the time I never even bothered to change the Title screen, I would just name the game as an alternative server and even keep in the old hub (or would make a new hub saying something like remake or revived), then I would test whatever I added in... Fixing bugs and whatnot... Then I would release it... and host...

anyway before you go onto the whole "All zetas are the same" argument... remember this...

By saying that all Zetas are the same, you are also saying that all Call of duties are the same or Jet Set/Grind Radios are the same... even going as far as saying "ALL" Final Fantasies are the same. so please throw out that argument...

In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
I RIP GAMES
Why do you always feel the need to point this out? Accompanied by some non-nonsensical attempt to defend yourself.

By saying that all Zetas are the same, you are also saying that all Call of duties are the same
They are, but at least they're all made by legitimate developers, and not somebody who just stole their source code and re-released it. Actually, what CoD does might be worse...
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
I RIP GAMES
Why do you always feel the need to point this out? Accompanied by some non-nonsensical attempt to defend yourself.

really now... attacking someone who has been loyal to you... I guess that is to be expected from someone whom also rips games (don't lie... I can easily provide proof that you have indeed ripped before...)and besides... I have done my own original stuff to... as I have stated many, many times...
By saying that all Zetas are the same, you are also saying that all Call of duties are the same
They are, but at least they're all made by legitimate developers, and not somebody who just stole their source code and re-released it. Actually, what CoD does might be worse...

I would at least like to say that I don't steal... The zeta games I have released are made from Legitimately obtained source... Like my game that is based off of your game DBZ HE... you released that source yourself... That was one of my favorite rips... Right behind DBZ TNA (Made by the same person from the forum that introduced me to BYOND)
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
I RIP GAMES

Of topic: I think what the cod developers are doing is kind of... idiotic. I play the game, love it, enjoy every moment of it. But infinity ward/treyarch are kind of genious. Redoing previous work, creating new sound, better textures, sell even better then the previous games.
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
(don't lie... I can easily provide proof that you have indeed ripped before...)
I don't go around making a point of it every time I post something, nor do I claim those as legitimate projects that were the best thing to ever happen to myself or BYOND, as you seem to think about your rips. It seems as though you want to be known as a ripper, like it is some kind of accomplishment; which is idiotic, and if anything, should just earn you a ban.

The zeta games I have released are made from Legitimately obtained source...
You can not legitimately obtain material that was stolen to begin with...
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
MW3 is pretty much MW2 with a fresh cover of paint and a new survival mode...

Atleast Black ops was way different compared to MW2 and WAW...

although I missed blowing off limbs in multiplayer that was in WAW.... and COD2: BRO had those Realistic Reload Animations that actually showed a bit of hesitation and humanity
(most notable was the hand slipping off of the Browning Automatic Rifle clip while trying to reload in the middle of a battle... It showed a sense of Urgency and Panic... and was human...)

Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
(don't lie... I can easily provide proof that you have indeed ripped before...)
I don't go around making a point of it every time I post something, nor do I claim those as legitimate projects that were the best thing to ever happen to myself or BYOND, as you seem to think about your rips. It seems as though you want to be known as a ripper, like it is some kind of accomplishment; which is idiotic, and if anything, should just earn you a ban.

I am not trying to be known as a simple ripper... I'm at least trying to say that I experimented with Zeta and have learned many things from it...
The zeta games I have released are made from Legitimately obtained source...
You can not legitimately obtain material that was stolen to begin with...

... Wait so it was stolen in the first place? tell me more...

Ss4gogeta0 wrote:

You already seem to understand the concept of Zeta rips, what are you confused about now?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:

You already seem to understand the concept of Zeta rips, what are you confused about now?

first of all I have no clue about the story of Zeta.... I just thought it was a style that had gotten so over used that people got tired of it...

Second of all... How do I get in touch with the original creator so that I may bow to his every whim?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5