ID:246600

Problem: I can log into my pager through my account (which you obviously see as Hiroshimei) but whenever I join a game it states I'm in a guest key, and I didn't mind before but now I can't even play a certain game since they do not allow guest keys.

Steps I do:
1.Click byond pager
2.Log into my account
3.Click "join" on a game on the pager
4.Game says, "Banned by host: Guest keys are disabled."

Date of occurrence: I don't really know but it happened when I played 3 months ago too. I just came back to byond.

Things I've tried: Re-installing byond, making a new account.
Hi hiroshimei,

This is a very common issue.Try checking your firewall settings, as this is most-likely caused because the communication between the BYOND pager and Dream seeker is being blocked.

Make sure you check any firewalls you may have (Windows firewall, antivirus software firewalls, if you have a Nvidia graphics cards, that may also come preinstalled with a firewall, etc) And make sure they are not blocking anything related to BYOND.

Hope this helps.
Hey Higoten, I just turned my firewall off, but the problem still remains. Is there something I'm doing incorrectly or...?
Hello again,

Which firewall did you turn off? If it was just the windows firewall, then it is highly likely that you have another firewall running, check your antivirus programs, they may have a firewall of their own running. Its possible you have a firewall running that you don't even know about.

If after you looked around your computer and are completely sure that you have every firewall on your computer disabled* or reconfigured. Try running the BYOND uninstaller and make sure the BYOND folder in My Documents is deleted (Make sure you back it up if you have any information in this folder you wish to save.) Then return to the BYOND website and reinstall the latest version of BYOND.

* It is highly highly unrecommended to completely disable your firewalls, if disabling them corrects the problem, then turn them back on and configure them to allow BYOND to pass though them. Running your computer without a firewall can be very unsafe.
Sometimes BYOND doesn't verify you're really logged in and marks you as a guest even though you have "Login" Status on BYOND Window, you should press Exit through BYOND Icon at that moment, then relogin. Anyway, I believe it's more like that game's problem, why do you get banned for playing as guest? Good luck solving that issue, but it should not happen very often (it does to me aswell sometimes, but it's easy to fix), if it doesn't work, try reinstalling BYOND :)
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
Sometimes BYOND doesn't verify you're really logged in and marks you as a guest even though you have "Login" Status on BYOND Window, you should press Exit through BYOND Icon at that moment, then relogin. Anyway, I believe it's more like that game's problem, why do you get banned for playing as guest? Good luck solving that issue, but it should not happen very often (it does to me aswell sometimes, but it's easy to fix), if it doesn't work, try reinstalling BYOND :)

Please don't attempt to help people unless you know what you're talking about.

The issue is that the BYOND pager isn't communicating with the dreamseeker client. Make sure that BYOND is installed as an administrator or is installed with an administrator account.

Being banned as a guest is something that the developer of the game can do by their own choice and has nothing to do with what any player has done. When you join as a guest your key is Guest-[CID] where CID is your computer ID. All the developer has to do is disallow all connections from keys that start with "Guest" and it forces all users to register before they play.

This is not a firewall issue, otherwise the dreamseeker wouldn't have been able to connect to the game in order to tell you that you were banned, it's simply a communication problem between byond.exe and dreamseeker.exe
In response to Mikau
Mikau wrote:
This is not a firewall issue, otherwise the dreamseeker wouldn't have been able to connect to the game in order to tell you that you were banned, it's simply a communication problem between byond.exe and dreamseeker.exe

Just to clarify, usually it is a firewall issue, only the problem is that the firewall is simply blocking one part of byond.exe's communications instead of all of it.

I say usually because there may also be a configuration issue here that sometimes masquerades as the firewall problem. At least one user has found that deleting some files helped fix the issue. Unfortunately he wasn't sure which ones he deleted that fixed it, but I'd point a finger at cfg/pager.txt in the BYOND user directory. If configuring all the firewalls does not seem to help, I'd recommend making a copy of the pager.txt file as a backup, closing the pager and DS, deleting pager.txt, and logging in again. (My hunch is that only the "proxy" line in pager.txt needs to be deleted, which is also something to try.)