ID:259080

I need a suggestion in both examples:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85/origx.jpg/ <--- Original base.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/orig2z.jpg/ <-- Changed the head.

I would like tips, suggestions and criticism. I have problems with shading :| and yeah never iconned before but I look foward to learn and improve it.
Bump..
After read a tutorial or two and stare at the icon for 10 minutes I decided to do some changes.
There some improvement even though isn't that good.

Please someone come here and suggest or give tips or hints.
In response to BloodyJr
BloodyJr wrote:
Bump..
After read a tutorial or two and stare at the icon for 10 minutes I decided to do some changes.
There some improvement even though isn't that good.

Please someone come here and suggest or give tips or hints.

Use better colors. Use references :)
In response to BloodyJr
NEVER save as a .jpg, use .png
In response to A2J2TIWARI
Should I just darken it or use more variety of colors ? What you mean by references ?
PS: Thanks for the tip Fertch, about .PNG save.
In response to BloodyJr
Bump...
Improved a little the base.. I can't see what to do more in that..
I made a 64x64 version, well my first 64 bit style icon, so I wanted some hints and suggestions as always, unless I am ready to go ?

<-- 32 base

<-- 64 base.

Thank you for your attention.
In response to BloodyJr
lmao i think the 32 x 32 looks cute
In response to BetaMan12
Theres pillow shading going on. Increase the contrast of the colors and make the guy more 'relaxed'
In response to Supertramp
What's pillow shading ? I have to be honest, I don't know nothing about iconning, but one thing is true. Those icons you see are made by me, my source was just a picture of a guy.
And more 'relaxed' as modify the eyes and make stomach less wide ?
In response to BloodyJr
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html This is a tutorial on what's pillow shading and how not to use it. And by relaxed I mean lower the arms and straighten the legs.
In response to Supertramp
Why so much trouble about shading, icon can be complicated..
I tried to modify it, not sure if it looks better, but eh..

PS:Don't rip people.
In response to BloodyJr
Me Just Saying From Experience The Shading Don't Matter I Can Have 3 Colors On The Base And Still Have It Look Good. So Then The Only Problem I See Here Is That You Made The Body To Dark Comapred To The Rest Of The Body.

Edit: The 32x32 Base Looks Cool BTw :D
In response to VixiV
Don't you mean the outline ? If brighten it, it will look kinda orangish.. :/
In response to BloodyJr
There is still some pillow shading. In the legs, arms, pants, etc. I don't know if you looked at that link about pillow shading but I'll give you a basic rundown of what it is. It's when you put the darkest color on the outside, followed by a band of a lighter color and so on.
In response to BloodyJr
BloodyJr wrote:
Why so much trouble about shading, icon can be complicated..
I tried to modify it, not sure if it looks better, but eh..

PS:Don't rip people.

There are a few problems with this base, or better said, there are some improvements that could be made withjout a lot of effort.

First of all your palette is very saturated meaning that your colours are very bright and in your face, also meaning it will be tough to create a world around such a base because you do not want you avatar to be like a plastic doll.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here you see I've edited your pallete, not only is it less saturated but I also upped the contrast.

check this .gif for a more obvious change.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic