ID:138530

As we move toward production and actual players/guides use the system, I'd like to make a couple of requests.

1) As anticipated, my guide wasted a bunch of time today trying to find the mythical 236 release. We really shouldn't be giving players false release information when they open Dream Seeker.

2) Incremental patches that are not numbered are problematic. The game started crashing on my guide, for some as yet unknown reason. It may be that she installed 235 incorrectly it may be that she got an earlier version of 235... It's hard for me to diagnose knowing there have been 3 patches to 235, all showing the same version number, one of which contained a crashing problem.

This is what I've got so far...
On 6/25/00 6:31 pm Deadron wrote:
As we move toward production and actual players/guides use the system, I'd like to make a couple of requests.

1) As anticipated, my guide wasted a bunch of time today trying to find the mythical 236 release. We really shouldn't be giving players false release information when they open Dream Seeker.

Agreed. Dan mentioned this too, so it will be fixed.

2) Incremental patches that are not numbered are problematic. The game started crashing on my guide, for some as yet unknown reason. It may be that she installed 235 incorrectly it may be that she got an earlier version of 235... It's hard for me to diagnose knowing there have been 3 patches to 235, all showing the same version number, one of which contained a crashing problem.

Eek. I hope your intuition is right on this one, but I suspect that the problem is deeper because I don't think the patches fixed crashes.

As far as the versions go, you are right. I just released these guys as patches because the versioning is stored in the largest dll and that did not get modified in any of these minor fixes (and thus did not have to be included in the download). For the public release we'll do as Guy T. suggested and put it an easily accessible version number. That shouldn't be too important though, because we are not aiming to do these kinds of frequent releases once things stable off. Bear with us during this hectic period right now, when we are attempting to get things "just right".
In response to Tom H.
On 6/25/00 9:03 pm Tom H. wrote:
Eek. I hope your intuition is right on this one, but I suspect that the problem is deeper because I don't think the patches fixed crashes.

I don't think it's the reason either, but one of the 235 patches did fix a crasher related to the player being above a certain x or y position (which is the one that bit me today).
In response to Deadron
I don't think it's the reason either, but one of the 235 patches did fix a crasher related to the player being above a certain x or y position (which is the one that bit me today).

Wow, people forgot that already? It happens whenever x in the world is above 30 =)