ID:138462

From the patch release notes:

Improved the internal savefile space allocation routines. In the particular test case I was using (saving a 10x10 turf map) this resulted in a 99% reduction in the size of the final save file!

Yow! What did you do to accomplish this???
On 7/29/00 9:18 am Deadron wrote:

Improved the internal savefile space allocation routines. In the particular test case I was using (saving a 10x10 turf map) this resulted in a 99% reduction in the size of the final save file!

Knowing Dan, the 10x10 turf map consisted of 100 instances of the same turf. Before it used to save all 100; now, just the one. Ergo, 99% reduction!
In response to Tom H.
On 7/29/00 9:30 am Tom H. wrote:
On 7/29/00 9:18 am Deadron wrote:

Knowing Dan, the 10x10 turf map consisted of 100 instances of the same turf. Before it used to save all 100; now, just the one. Ergo, 99% reduction!

Ah, it's map-saving specific. So probably doesn't apply to my custom maps (though I also do some things to cut down on duplication in my maps).
In response to Deadron
Ah, it's map-saving specific. So probably doesn't apply to my custom maps (though I also do some things to cut down on duplication in my maps).

Well, not exactly. If you had 500 zombies roving around, each with the same stats, and you saved it, it would save only 1 zombie. More of an instance reduction thing.
In response to Spuzzum
On 7/29/00 12:59 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Well, not exactly. If you had 500 zombies roving around, each with the same stats, and you saved it, it would save only 1 zombie. More of an instance reduction thing.

Nope, cause I have my own routines for saving them too!

But for most people this will be a big win.