ID:138172

For those of you who have not stumbled across the developer referral page, please go ahead and start using it! Many of you will attract new BYOND developers (because you are such attractive people!). Why not get a little credit?

To make it work, you just have to create a link from a web page that points to the referral script called welcomeBYOND.cgi. The precise html you should use is available on the referral page. It will create a referral cookie and then forward the user to the Start Here page.

We will also be adding a mechanism for indirectly referring people to BYOND by simply getting them to download the software, but you should at least convert over any links you already have that refer people to www.byond.com to instead go through this referral script. Help get the word out! We all benefit with more creative people to team up with.

--Dan
We will also be adding a mechanism for indirectly referring people to BYOND by simply getting them to download the software, but you should at least convert over any links you already have that refer people to www.byond.com to instead go through this referral script. Help get the word out! We all benefit with more creative people to team up with.

I was actually going to put my referral thing in the presentation I made, but it turns out that I couldn't, because the school isn't capable of accessing SSL. Some other users might not be able to, either... =P
So, are you guys ready to "go public" yet? Or did you already when I wasn't looking?
In response to Zilal
On 2/18/01 11:04 pm Zilal wrote:
So, are you guys ready to "go public" yet? Or did you already when I wasn't looking?

Not technically...they got buried in the last couple of releases.

However I did happen to send out an email that got forwarded to a couple of lists with a few thousand people...have no idea if that had any impact.

We are getting a pretty steady stream of new people these days though.
In response to Zilal
On 2/18/01 11:04 pm Zilal wrote:

Just about! I have been promising to update the InfoCenter for about two months now, and I finally am planning to finish that this week. Then I'm hoping we can start adding some more tutorials and arranging some community activities. We can start bringing in people at this point, I think.
In response to Spuzzum

I was actually going to put my referral thing in the presentation I made, but it turns out that I couldn't, because the school isn't capable of accessing SSL. Some other users might not be able to, either... =P

Oh. Actually, the script does not require SSL access. You should be able to use the same URL but replace https with http. Wish I had told you in time for your big show!

--Dan
In response to Tom H.
Okay, now I have a request... the forum's getting so busy that if I don't read for two days, when I come back there tend to be posts that have been pushed onto the next page that I haven't even seen yet. I really prefer the setting I have now that shows all the messages... would it be possible to double the number that fit on one page? Or if you're really ambitious, allow us to set this ourselves?

Z
In response to Zilal
On 2/20/01 5:02 pm Zilal wrote:
Okay, now I have a request... the forum's getting so busy that if I don't read for two days, when I come back there tend to be posts that have been pushed onto the next page that I haven't even seen yet. I really prefer the setting I have now that shows all the messages... would it be possible to double the number that fit on one page? Or if you're really ambitious, allow us to set this ourselves?

Well, you really should be constantly monitering the forum, checking in at least once every three minutes. Nonetheless, your suggestion is a valid one, and I can make the message number a user setting, no problem. I'm also thinking that "Message View" is probably the best default (it also happens to be a bit more efficient, which might be a factor if we get a lot of readers).

And, in the back of my mind, I'm still toying with the option to mark and/or view unread posts. It's not an issue if you use Message View on a single machine, but corporate bees like Deadron could benefit from it. Perhaps in a future upgrade.
In response to Tom H.
On 2/20/01 5:44 pm Tom H. wrote:
And, in the back of my mind, I'm still toying with the option to mark and/or view unread posts. It's not an issue if you use Message View on a single machine, but corporate bees like Deadron could benefit from it. Perhaps in a future upgrade.

Not only would it help me, but it would help those newbies whose posts currently get overlooked!
In response to Deadron
On 2/20/01 5:45 pm Deadron wrote:
On 2/20/01 5:44 pm Tom H. wrote:

Not only would it help me, but it would help those newbies whose posts currently get overlooked!

You read this within a minute of posting. Excellent monitering!
In response to Tom H.
Crikers, is everybody reading the boards right now?
In response to Zilal
On 2/20/01 5:47 pm Zilal wrote:
Crikers, is everybody reading the boards right now?

Wow, now that's even better, Z. You replied instantly. =)
In response to Dan
On 2/19/01 2:21 pm Dan wrote:

Oh. Actually, the script does not require SSL access. You should be able to use the same URL but replace https with http. Wish I had told you in time for your big show!

D'oh! =)