ID:154576

I'm wondering... when you draw icons, which do you prefer? With an outline, or without an outline?

I like them without an outline, since it makes them more realistic. Problem is, when you use them as overlays, the boundaries between what is a sword and what is not a sword is rather hard to distinguish.

What do YOU like?
I like to have them with an outline, since that makes them clearer. But for swords and such, you are almost forced into not having an outline, because that makes it possible to see that it is a sword and not a lump of black goo, same goes for all small objects.
On 3/15/01 9:34 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I'm wondering... when you draw icons, which do you prefer? With an outline, or without an outline?

I like them without an outline, since it makes them more realistic. Problem is, when you use them as overlays, the boundaries between what is a sword and what is not a sword is rather hard to distinguish.

What do YOU like?

Personally, I think using an outline can be helpful. It doesn't have to be a black outline though. Simply using a darker shade of the same color can often be enough to make it stand out.
In response to Mr. Sanity
On 3/16/01 11:00 am Mr. Sanity wrote:
On 3/15/01 9:34 pm Spuzzum wrote:

What do YOU like?

Personally, I think using an outline can be helpful. It doesn't have to be a black outline though. Simply using a darker shade of the same color can often be enough to make it stand out.

I prefer drawing an outline, just because if you dont, with small icons it hard to disguish whats in the icon if its not outlined. I try not to use black as much as possible, you should use a really dark shade of the same color(like almost black but not quite)