ID:138121

The servers may be down for half an hour or so while we do a major upgrade of the software...
On 3/23/01 8:52 pm Dan wrote:
The servers may be down for half an hour or so while we do a major upgrade of the software...

Right now, I want to play on the new release! The server says it has a new one, so out with it! ;-)

OK. Phase one of the new hub installation is complete. Those of you with pre-cached URL information (cfg/hosts.txt) should now be able to access stuff as you used to or using the new hub address scheme (byond://Deadron.DragonSnot).

You'll have to get all new software though. There were backwards incompatible changes to the networking code.

If you have a host site, the admin acces has changed. Instead of going to byond://polaris (or whatever), you now go to the file <code>tools/admin</code> within your site. For example: byond://polaris/dan/tools/admin.

If you have web space, you can also use the web-based file admin tool by going to tools/admin within your web site.

Both of these authenticate admin access against the configuration file cfg/admin.txt, which by default contains only your own key.

I will be making some more changes tomorow morning to finalize the change-over to the new hub-based URL scheme. The old server pointers (polaris, launch-pad, etc.) will be replaced by new ones that fit into the Author.Path framework of the hub. Old addresses will continue to work on systems with those items in their cfg/hosts.cfg file, so hopefully this will not be too disruptive.

--Dan

--Dan
In response to Spuzzum
Right now, I want to play on the new release! The server says it has a new one, so out with it! ;-)

Tom should be posting the software in the next few minutes...
In response to Dan
On 3/24/01 1:28 am Dan wrote:

Tom should be posting the software in the next few minutes...

Well, it took an hour, but it's now available. I hope it's stable. Poor Dan was up way past his bedtime to get things working for you boys and girls, so he may be out of commission for a little while!

I think this (or at least the subsequent bug-fixed version) will turn out to be the best BYOND yet; a number of longstanding bugs have been fixed in this release.

Check out the new options to the BYOND Hub too. You should be able to upload your code libraries now. We'll start implementing some of the organization suggestions (like categories for games) this week.

[Edit]-- I just found a minor bug where the hub is reporting a newer version of BYOND when it first establishes a connection. Ignore this alert (you can click on it, but it won't really do anything). I think the fix is purely dantom-side.
In response to Tom H.
So far, so good! No bugs yet... (knock on wood)