ID:136564

I'm tired of seeing these random name games with explicit titles, just a request of a swear filter on the hub, I don't like to see swearing where it's not neccesary.
BurningIce wrote:
I'm tired of seeing these random name games with explicit titles, just a request of a swear filter on the hub, I don't like to see swearing where it's not neccesary.

The only problem with those is that if you make them too simple, then people will stick in punctuation and replace letters. So, as Lexy loves to say, you'll have to make them more powerful, and they would go far overboard, and you would wish... wi**** was never added in the first place.

What we need is a stronger presence on the Hub, really. Right now, Deadron and Dantom are the only two running through it (and Deadron's swamped with work in real life, apparently); another problem is that it doesn't filter out games in Games Live! without proper hub entries.
BurningIce wrote:

This has been discussed before, and I think it's likely some sort of limited filter will go into place before too long. Dantom are also considering ways to add hub moderators, possibly a limited subset of the current forum moderators, that can deal with offensive items as they emerge.

As for last night's offenders, they've been discussed too. We know that at least Sariat, Super16, and NeoHaxor were involved (yes, I'm naming names), as were several secondary keys belonging to the above. There's massive support for a temporary ban of these guys, considering the degree to which they abused both the hub and the pager last night, and that they knew just how wrong they were to do it.

I'm in the camp calling for a temporary ban. I like Sariat, and have no personal quarrel with the others, but actions have consequences and they all need a slap upside the head. However, I'd like to encourage them to come back afterwards, as long as they understand they have to play nice on the hub.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
BurningIce wrote:

This has been discussed before, and I think it's likely some sort of limited filter will go into place before too long. Dantom are also considering ways to add hub moderators, possibly a limited subset of the current forum moderators, that can deal with offensive items as they emerge.

As for last night's offenders, they've been discussed too. We know that at least Sariat, Super16, and NeoHaxor were involved (yes, I'm naming names), as were several secondary keys belonging to the above. There's massive support for a temporary ban of these guys, considering the degree to which they abused both the hub and the pager last night, and that they knew just how wrong they were to do it.

I'm in the camp calling for a temporary ban. I like Sariat, and have no personal quarrel with the others, but actions have consequences and they all need a slap upside the head. However, I'd like to encourage them to come back afterwards, as long as they understand they have to play nice on the hub.

Lummox JR

You cheese head. I didn't make that game. The game was made by (not - named) and he made a list and made verb that chose random [expletive deleted]. If you ban me it won't be the end of it! No more anthrax!
In response to Super16
Super16 wrote:
You cheese head. I didn't make that game. The game was made by (not - named) and he made a list and made verb that chose random [expletive deleted]. If you ban me it won't be the end of it! No more anthrax!

You may not have made the game, but there's strong evidence you were running it, and you pulled some of the same dirty stunts in the pager that Sariat did. This is confirmed by a reliable witness. And the fact that you know who made the game but are unwilling to say indicates you had a hand in it.

And I'll kindly thank you for the last time to watch your language on the forums, or that call for a ban won't be so temporary. You know better than that by now.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I didn't page anyone like sariat did. I didn't host nor make the game. I have a 56k connection. Don't point fingers for [stuff] you don't know the 411 about. The person was NeoHaxor but it doesn't matter for him since he is leaving. Stop your finger pointing you [jerk]. Yes I said it [jerk] you seem it's all me from my forum post. Give me a break Jesus

[Spuzzum: Breaks are not given around here to people who already know the rules. If someone lets a swear word out by accident, they get told not to swear. If someone intentionally swears, or repeatedly swears and/or seemingly ignores our requests for them not to swear, they get admonished, and threatened with a ban if necessary.

If you'd like to press the issue, please go right ahead and name one professional computer games forum that allows swearing. Just one.]
To everyone posting on this thread, any further posts that even remotely resemble insults will be deleted, instantly.

This issue is looking for serious replies, not for insults or petty conflicts.

--Spuzzum
In response to Lummox JR
I already told you that I didn't make the game. I didn't host it. I didn't tell NeoHaxor to make it.I never advertised for people to join in the game. I never tuanted anybody ABOUT THE GAME NAME.
In response to Spuzzum
just curious, can moderators restrict people's posting privelages?
In response to Luke Skywalker
Luke Skywalker wrote:
just curious, can moderators restrict people's posting privelages?

Not directly, but Dantom Intl. can, and the moderators answer to Dantom.
I'm curious as to what happened last night? I kind of want to know, I mean, it alledgedly involved NeoHaxor, Super16, and Sariat, I mean, I had respect for the first and last of those names when I first came here (Neo used to be SonVegetto, who was my greatest hero at the time) I mean, these guys were like, in my mind, the gurus I wanted to become. But anyway, I was just curious what happened, if it's not appropriate to say on the forums, just page me, I got tired of programming at about 7:00 last night, and logged out. I guess it was a horrible deal... Anyone want to fill me in?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I'm curious as to what happened last night? I kind of want to know, I mean, it alledgedly involved NeoHaxor, Super16, and Sariat, I mean, I had respect for the first and last of those names when I first came here (Neo used to be SonVegetto, who was my greatest hero at the time) I mean, these guys were like, in my mind, the gurus I wanted to become. But anyway, I was just curious what happened, if it's not appropriate to say on the forums, just page me, I got tired of programming at about 7:00 last night, and logged out. I guess it was a horrible deal... Anyone want to fill me in?

It wasn't just last night, but the night before. Last night was Act II. I can't figure out their motives, or what they were thinking at all, really, but it did involve at least those three. I suspect there were more than that in on it. Anyway, here's the run-down:

Night 1: The hub was seriously messed up, but not enough to keep the game (and its old names) from appearing. This chat, reportedly hosted by NeoHaxor, had a random world name generator containing some nasty stuff, and people could make it change names by using a verb. Some of the names and phrases were just silly, while others were obscene.
Sariat paged some people asking if they liked the game names, as did a couple of other users. Super16 and NeoHaxor supposedly did this as well. (Someone else showed a few pages from Sariat that were hostile, and profane, in the extreme.)

Night 2: NeoHaxor was at it again. Reports are sketchy, but we know that a couple of the other keys that were identified as being involved were back. Sariat didn't appear to be at all involved this time (though he certainly was the night before), and I don't think there's anything showing Super16's involvement last night either.

I really don't know what the heck NeoHaxor thinks he's doing, but it bugs me that he thinks he has the right to abuse the hub just because he's leaving soon. The others were involved too, in a way I'd say was a lot more than just passive. I don't know what they were on about either.

An interesting little addendum to this is that Sariat paged me to discuss this yesterday. Among other things he said that NeoHaxor was hosting the game, not him; the facts since then back that up. (On the first night, we had no solid way of knowing who the host was. At the time I thought it was Sariat, who has a tendency to take his sense of humor over the line without thinking.) He also swore up and down to me that he didn't send any pages asking people if they liked the game names, but another user and I both saw the exact same page from him at the same time--a page we couldn't have received if he didn't send it. He was already acting strangely in a few pages I got (about 20 minutes earlier) that he did admit to sending.

It looks, anyway, like Sariat and Super16 have had the brains to distance themselves from this a little bit--although Sariat's lying to me about the page, repeatedly, was a big disappointment. That NeoHaxor saw fit to put the chat back up last night, though, apparently unmodified, is an outrage.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Yeah, the first offense could be called a joke, but the second offense is just sheer stupidity, dishonesty is kind of one of my peeves... I wasn't involved in this, nor was I affected by it, so I'll leave the subject alone.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Yeah, the first offense could be called a joke, but the second offense is just sheer stupidity, dishonesty is kind of one of my peeves... I wasn't involved in this, nor was I affected by it, so I'll leave the subject alone.

I could see how the people involved thought of it as a joke, but it wasn't one; when you go that far over the line there's a price to be paid for it, and they knew that.

Lummox JR