ID:189725

Can you make a game that is the same as a game that is already out. For example (There a game called warp speed and you make a byond game called warp speed. But the characters you use are complely different and the map is completley different. But you have the exact same title, but your game is based off that game can u make the game u want to make?) You guys could be right but im not sure so im still gonna ask.
Brownshady wrote:
Can you make a game that is the same as a game that is already out. For example (There a game called warp speed and you make a byond game called warp speed. But the characters you use are complely different and the map is completley different. But you have the exact same title, but your game is based off that game can u make the game u want to make?)

I'd suggest just changing the title too, so then you have a game based on a game you like without having anything close enough to be considered infringement.

Lummox JR
I don't think you can. I think the original owner has copyright permissions. I might be 100% wrong though but i think you can't.

~Blaz3
In response to Lummox JR
I can change the title and all but would it be okay to base it on the game? Because im not sure i dont want to put up my game and the next thing i know im like get sewed, or getting into big trouable. if anyone really knows the anwser to my question plz anwser it.
In response to Brownshady
Brownshady wrote:
I can change the title and all but would it be okay to base it on the game? Because im not sure i dont want to put up my game and the next thing i know im like get sewed, or getting into big trouable. if anyone really knows the anwser to my question plz anwser it.

Yes you can base it on the game, and no one is gonna sue you. But kid, take my advice, stay in school.

$~Ray~$
You can base it on the game. (Look at all the DBZ and Icon trading games...)

~Blaz3
In response to Blaz3
The icon trading games are not based on any game I've ever heard of, and the DBZ games use almost every copywriteable part of dbz possbile. He probably won't get sued, but its best not to take the chance; don't break any copywrites.
Brownshady wrote:

Gameplay itself can't be copyrighted. That's why there were so many Pac-Man clones in the 1980's. Heck, even the Atari 2600 "Alien" game, based on one of the scariest movies available then or now, was just Pac-Man with an unreliable flamethrower.
In response to Gughunter
Very true hehe.

~Blaz3
In response to Stimulus
This is off topic of the subject :P but your name is a scientific term.A signal that causes the cell to react..lol.
In response to Soccerguy13
Soccerguy13 wrote:
This is off topic of the subject :P but your name is a scientific term.A signal that causes the cell to react..lol.

You must be bored...

$~Ray~$
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
That's why there were so many Pac-Man clones in the 1980's.

However, the first instance in which a company was ordered by a court to stop producing a game was indeed a Pac-Man clone that was released in 1981 (the court ruling was in 1982). At least I think this was the first time this occurred. They didn't have to remove the game from store shelves (which is a rather pointless order because compaines would just appeal the court's decision until the game sells out of the stores) but they had to stop producing the game. Oh, the game was KC Munchkin for the Magnavox Odyssey2. It was obviously a Pac-Man clone; it wasn't the same gameplay with a different theme, it was a yellow creature that eats dots and is chased by ghosts.
In response to Stimulus
Trust me.......we all are.
In response to Jotdaniel
Yes very bored,plus it was on my Science Final,which I aced :).BYOND seems to be stabalizing though,Less dbz:).lol
In response to OneFishDown
However, the first instance in which a company was ordered by a court to stop producing a game was indeed a Pac-Man clone that was released in 1981 (the court ruling was in 1982).

Nifty! I didn't know about that.
In response to Jotdaniel
It's copyright! Not copywrite. It's a right, not something that's written down. *slaps Jotdaniel* =)
In response to Crispy
I was taking a guess here, theres 3 different homonims for right, I've got the right one now.
In response to Jotdaniel
It's homonyms. =D Heh, don't mind me. I just can't help correcting people's spelung misstaeks. =P
In response to Crispy
Actually its homophones,Crispy =P
Titles cannot be copyrighted.

You cannot own a copyright for a title.. I could make a movie called Jaws and base it off a rabid elephant that eats people at sea and there is nothing that stephen spielberg could do.

There are two Playstation games out, both called Dark Angel, one is based on the television series, the other im not so sure about..

Images (not specific icons), original likenesses, stories, concepts, works in progress....these can be copyrighted. It takes little more than sending registered mail to yourself and never opening the package. If there is ever question about sole rights.. they are right there.
Page: 1 2