ID:184848

"IBM and Georgia Tech have coaxed a chip to run at 500GHz, a record for a silicon-based device, by dropping the temperature to minus 451 degrees Fahrenheit. The experiment is part of a project to explore the ultimate speed limits of silicon-germanium (SiGe) chips. SiGe chips are similar to standard silicon chips, but they also contain germanium for better performance and lower power consumption."

"SiGe chips, the scientists theorized, could eventually hit 1 terahertz, or 1 trillion cycles a second."

Two words.... Holy Crap.
-Jack Weldon
Wow, I would so totally play solitaire on that!
In response to Scoobert
Yeah I read that from TechPowerup! too.

TechPowerup! r teh pwnage hardware news site.
In response to Scoobert
Hah! Windows man. There are a couple of jokes with the release of Windows-based operating systems and Solitaire. Rumor has it that in the next release, Solitaire with be multiplayer. omgwtfbbqsauce
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Hah! Windows man. There are a couple of jokes with the release of Windows-based operating systems and Solitaire. Rumor has it that in the next release, Solitaire with be multiplayer. omgwtfbbqsauce

I have played at least one game of Solitaire on every system I have built or setup at work. It us kinda like breaking a wine bottle on the hull of a boat.

Don't worry, I have done this on linux systems too. Most distros come with at least one type of Solitaire(Ubuntu comes with, or can have added, a generic cardgame table program that does about a million versions of solitaire and most other card games).
I want to play Oblivion on that.
In response to Crispy
I concur.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:

A 3D massively multiplayer online role-playing solitaire game on that!
In response to Crispy
But if you do, the system will be bottlenecked... and bottleneck != sexy.

It's not going to run as fast as it should unless you get a graphics card that can compare! xD
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
You wouldn't need a graphics card, your processor could handle the graphics with ease. Your bottleneck would be storage(There is no ram that could keep up with that, at least not publicly).
In response to Scoobert
Well modern CPU's can't handle rendering Morrowind in software mode with FAKED bloom. I wouldn't want to think about how a modern CPU would do with rendering Oblivion with HDR and distant landscape and all of that.

Of course, I wouldn't know how a 500 GHz processor would handle the graphics... of course it does depend on what kind of processor.
In response to Zeidrieck
Zeidrieck wrote:
Scoobert wrote:

A 3D massively multiplayer online role-playing solitaire game on that!

Sweet! I drew an Ancient Zombie King with an Ebony Spade of Slaying! He's going to crush that puny Glimmering Ruby Heart of the Gods Mechano Prince and then I'll clear a row!
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
A 500GHz processor would be more than capable of rendering it all in software mode, assuming Oblivion can be configured to do that.

As Scoobert says, the problem would be storage...

Next challenge: Superconducting RAM!
YEAH
NOW I CAN FINALLY PLAY AGE OF EMPIRES 1