ID:182691

Why wouldn't BYOND -ever- support 3D graphics?
Because BYOND isn't that type of system. It's whole engine is geared to 2D and it wouldn't be BYOND anymore if it went 3D.
In response to Danial.Beta
Wouldn't you say that's a bit of a drastic speculation? Maybe Byond would decide to support 3d 10 or so years down the line but just not soon...0_0
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
The staff has said time and time and time again that BYOND will never support 3D.
Truwarrior119 wrote:
Why wouldn't BYOND -ever- support 3D graphics?

Because the developers don't want it to.
If BYOND was 3D then it would the language that much harder to learn. So you might as well use C++ if you really want to make a non 2D program.
In response to Calus CoRPS
Calus CoRPS wrote:
If BYOND was 3D then it would the language that much harder to learn. So you might as well use C++ if you really want to make a non 2D program.

That's absurd. There are excellent systems for creating 3D network games without knowing C++ -- check out Multiverse, for example.

The reason BYOND isn't supporting 3D is because 3D isn't in BYOND's design. The current display model is reportedly baked into the design of each aspect of the project, and so adding new display models would be very difficult.

At least one BYONDer I know is working on a 3D game development system with a code model similar to BYOND's. When it's presentable, you can bet there will be some news about it posted here. :-)
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
At least one BYONDer I know is working on a 3D game development system with a code model similar to BYOND's. When it's presentable, you can bet there will be some news about it posted here. :-)

I actually would like to contact him.

On my re-attempt at my game engine I actually looked back at Byond for a little bit on my class hierarchy, even if it does divide from it a lot.

George Gough
In response to PirateHead
Yeah I talk to him from time to time. I am liking the way the engine looks and I like even more, the way the language is so much like BYOND.

I think it is very ignorant of BYOND to just say right out, 3D? Never! They will eventually be left in the dust for bigger, better development platforms. Even the fakey 3D like Wolfenstein would be a overall welcome addition to BYOND.
In response to D20.Man
D20.Man wrote:
Even the fakey 3D like Wolfenstein would be a overall welcome addition to BYOND.

Which BYOND can do, just not efficiently. If client-side processing becomes reality, though, these types of games will be much more efficient.
In response to Popisfizzy
I hope it does, I have been wanting to work on like a, Online Version of Bards Tale, but I can't with the way BYOND handles these sorts of things.