In response to Eternal Desire
No.
Eternal Desire wrote:
yet RSC extractors are bannable...?

No; see the post you quoted: even if someone uses a resource extractor, what can you possibly do about it?

On the other hand, distributing/advertising a resource extractor/game resources on BYOND is a bannable offense. But the simple act of obtaining a resource extractor or resources is not.

Likewise, it wouldn't be considered a bannable offense if I published your icons on my website. But if I make a hub entry about it or post them on my BYOND Members page, it's a different story.

-- Data
Dark Wizard was not banned because of the RSC extractor, something that he has clinged to in a vain attempt to appear as the morally superior idiot.

Dark Wizard was banned because he was obnoxious, frequently caused problems in BYOND Support, had a long history of offensive behaviour, and spammed the BYOND forums, Members comments, and other aspects with links.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
On the other hand, distributing/advertising a resource extractor/game resources on BYOND is a bannable offense. But the simple act of obtaining a resource extractor or resources is not.

You've got your facts a little twisted here. No one who was banned in connection to an .rsc extractor was banned for possessing or distributing it. They were banned for spam and worse offenses. That's not to say I'd look at the link being widely available in a non-spammy way as a good thing, but I have my doubts it'd trigger a ban.

Lummox JR
There is similar thing in Microsoft Visual Basic, you type code and it compiles it in real-time. Also it can completion functions. I wanted to throw in this suggestion too but I came to more negative stuff than positive, to didn't post it.
They would need to remake half of compile code to make that quick compile thing, even if they decide to make it, don't expect it nearest month
In response to KodeNerd
You didn't think the files in that file just went there magically, did you?

And of course, there are consistency checks and , sometimes, additions to be made, every time the game compiles.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
You didn't think the files in that file just went there magically, did you?

Never said that they were "magically" into a file. The .rsc files (from what I gathered) are not actually changed in anyway other than putting them into a single file (with little to no encryption).

My use of the word compile was wrong as they are compiled; the compilation is just storing all of the files into one file (IIRC). This is much different than what is done to the source code, in which it is drastically changed to the byte code.

My terminology went awry at that point.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
This is much different than what is done to the source code, in which it is drastically changed to the byte code.

Don't need to explain that to me. :P
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Was just clarifying why I said it.

George Gough
In response to Obs
I also think it has something to do with the amount of files you have...

I might be wrong here, but the more files I add, and the more subfolders I make, the longer it takes to compile.
Some of the new files don't even contain that much, maybe 60 or 70 lines or so, and they'll still take quite a bit of extra time.
In response to Keeth
Keeth wrote:

Naturally, so... duh. Dream Maker has to open every included file, which is extra overhead. Ironically you could say this is a penalty for being organized.

I might be wrong here, but the more files I add, and the more subfolders I make, the longer it takes to compile.

About the subfolders, this is because if you specify a file in single quotes and it's in a subfolder, Dream Maker has to search for its exact location (look into each subfolder in your project's folder), which can add a lot of extra time to compiling. To circumvent this, you'd specify the full (relative) path to files, and turn off the FILE_DIR settings which cause the above searching feature. This was also mentioned by CaptFalcon earlier.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Keeth wrote:

Naturally, so... duh. Dream Maker has to open every included file, which is extra overhead. Ironically you could say this is a penalty for being organized.

About the subfolders, this is because if you specify a file in single quotes and it's in a subfolder, Dream Maker has to search for its exact location (look into each subfolder in your project's folder), which can add a lot of extra time to compiling. To circumvent this, you'd specify the full (relative) path to files, and turn off the FILE_DIR settings which cause the above searching feature. This was also mentioned by CaptFalcon earlier.

I wonder if using brackets and semi-colons then makes the code easier for the compiler to read. I have about 30 files, and about 20,000 lines of code, and my compile times are only a few seconds.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
I wonder if using brackets and semi-colons then makes the code easier for the compiler to read. I have about 30 files, and about 20,000 lines of code, and my compile times are only a few seconds.

99% of the compile time is taken up by loading the map <.< which is the whole point of this topic
In response to Falacy
I have 500x500 maps...
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Obs wrote:

99% of the compile time is taken up by loading the map <.< which is the whole point of this topic

Then just uncheck your map.

Also, i have 10 400 X 400 Maps and i compile in 30 seconds WITH Sub Directories.
Page: 1 2 3 4