ID:133556

With the current functionality, is it possible to do? If not, I assume in order to do this we need to have a BYOND plug in for the browse so we can have the game inside the browser. It would be really sweet if we could do this because then people would just have to bookmark a link to their favorite game.
Kakashi24142 wrote:
With the current functionality, is it possible to do? If not, I assume in order to do this we need to have a BYOND plug in for the browse so we can have the game inside the browser. It would be really sweet if we could do this because then people would just have to bookmark a link to their favorite game.

I assume you don't mean CGI-based games, so no. BYOND would have to be somehow ported to Flash or Java for that to work.

Lummox JR
Yes using DMCGI but not actual games. If you are looking for something along those lines check out Java.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
Good lord man, don't recommend Java to anyone, least they don't want to lose their sanity *shudders*
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
Good lord man, don't recommend Java to anyone, least they don't want to lose their sanity *shudders*

Java has its place in the world. It excels at things such as web-based games and is free to use.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
Java has its place in the world. It excels at things such as web-based games and is free to use.

Indeed. To me Java's main weaknesses are 1) Sun's developers are freaking nutjobs who are in love with crazy design patterns instead of straightforward APIs, 2) public classes have to be compiled from their own source file with the exact same name, meaning this language stupidly dictates how you organize it, and 3) there is no goto statement in spite of the bytecode supporting such a concept.

Yes, I called them out on a lack of goto. It may be easy to abuse via spaghetti logic but it's also an important fallback for the 0.1% of cases that while() and for() don't cover. And the public class thing is just completely asinine. In a lot of ways Sun went out of their way to make some of Microsoft's convoluted UI decisions look like pure genius.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Yea I know the class thing is really annoying. I was programming Java a bit (very simple stuff) a while back and it was annoying creating a new file for every class >_>.
In response to Lummox JR
Or its own plugin
It would have to use the byond software as the backend and be like a mini dream seeker
You could probably just scale down everything else and tell people if they want browser features implement all that through a server on to a webpage
and run chat some other way or through ajax
and the games themselves would still be large considering its not going to be a flash file and each of the icons and tiles would either be its own file or part of the same file
and as far as competition goes you would still have to deal with yoyogames on a second level