ID:181922

Could anyone tell a name of game I'm thinking about? It was long ago so can't tell many details

I played it really long time ago (I dare to say 4-5 years ago). It was Single Player 3D game. I used to buy ship, travel in space and fight random enemy encounters. Also I remember having some friendly ships, which used to travel with me, and assist in combat. I used to view ship from behind topwards, around at 30 degree angle, can't remember if camera was changeable.

Any ideas?
Ripiz wrote:
Could anyone tell a name of game I'm thinking about? It was long ago so can't tell many details

I played it really long time ago (I dare to say 4-5 years ago). It was Single Player 3D game. I used to buy ship, travel in space and fight random enemy encounters. Also I remember having some friendly ships, which used to travel with me, and assist in combat. I used to view ship from behind topwards, around at 30 degree angle, can't remember if camera was changeable.

Any ideas?

Star Trek: Starship Creator?
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
That game wasn't only Starship Creator. It was somewhat space combat game.

Used to buy ship at some port or startbase, smallest ship being frigate or around that, while biggest was starbase, which I never reached as my old PC wasn't able to handle bigger combats than 3x3
In response to Ripiz
Freelancer or maybe any of the X games?
In response to Qable
Freelancer is more mouse controlable and cockpit view (1st person). That game was 3rd person, also it was impossible to leave ship, unlike in Freelancer.

X games don't seem to be even near... I remember my ship being white/yellowish round in front, and two engines on the side back, also it used to display shield capacity but can't remember if it was on HUD or around ship..
Kingdom Hearts
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Do I need to comment on this?...
Probably not Wazzal, although is sounds vaguely similar.
In response to Foomer
Wazzal seems to be more of strategy, where you buy many ships. The game I'm trying to find is Space Combat Sim either RPG, whichever you like to call. Only one ship you control, others fly on theyr own
In response to Ripiz
Ripiz wrote:
Wazzal seems to be more of strategy, where you buy many ships. The game I'm trying to find is Space Combat Sim either RPG, whichever you like to call. Only one ship you control, others fly on theyr own

Wazzal has nothing to do with strategy - you just fly around, attacking other ships and boarding (claiming them), and raiding planets to earn cash.
I'd say EV Nova but that's only pseudo-3D. Really similar though, compared to your description.
In response to Foomer
I went to the site you supplied. First screenshot on the right (top one), shows ship view from the top, but the game I'm searching is 3rd person (from back), same goes to 2nd screenshot.
3rd screenshot person sellings ships, so I though it's strategy

Game itself look fun, however it's not what I'm searching for. The date I played it might be different, also doesn't mean it was released then, my PC was really bad and wasn't really able to run games
Lets see here, so far we've got:

1. Single player (so it's not an online game like EVE, Jumpgate, or Vendetta Online).

2. Space game where you buy a ship, travel in space, and fight random enemy encounters. (So is it an open-ended trading game then? That would be the assumption.)

3. 3D Graphics. (So it's not a game like Escape Velocity or Space Rangers.)

4. The perspective was from the rear by default - Preferred method was to view the ship from behind topwards at about a 30 degree angle, but that may be adjustable. (So it's not Flatspace or Spaceforce: Rogue Universe)

5. There were friendly ships that travel with you and assist in combat.

6. Ship being "white/yellowish round in front, and two engines on the side back, also it used to display shield capacity but can't remember if it was on HUD or around ship"

7. It's a fairly old game, but not too old, estimated about 4-5 years ago. (So nothing from the Elite series, then. Good thing, too - the space trader genre used to be a lot more popular, if we're talking an Elite clone there's dozens, including really obscure ones like Federation Of Free Traders.)

8. You can't leave your ship. (Not that many let you leave your ship anyway.)

9. It's not Freelancer or from the X series. (Pity, too, I'd say X2: The Threat would be a very good guess.)

Maybe a re-release of Wing Commander: Privateer, but I don't think they had friendly ships that traveled with you to fight with you? I really want to say Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, but I don't think that one is played from an outside ship perspective.

It's probably somewhere on this list. If it's not, maybe we're getting thrown off by this idea of "buying your ship" - a lot of us are thinking it's one of those games where you're free to travel the universe, but maybe it's more of an action game?
In response to Geldonyetich
I wasn't able to find it on that list.

"buying your ship" - it was simple window with list of ships starting from weakest (I think it was 70k cash) to biggest for over 1 million if I remember right.

Maybe this will help more, my old PC specs: 200MB RAM, 800MHz CPU, 8MB integrated video memory. In some places game used to lag
In response to Ripiz
Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of game it is - if it wasn't on that list, it either wasn't an open-ended space trading game or a fairly obscure one.

If turned out to be something like a shoot em' up that included a ship-buying mechanic, that'd explain why we haven't identified it yet.

Any kind of details you can give me about how the game played will help figure this out. For example:

* Did you buy anything else but your ship in the game? (For example, trade goods, weapons, armor, ect.) If so, which?
* How did you earn money in the game?
* Did the gameplay involve going on a single path or could you decide where you were going to go?

Another question about your system - was the game played in DOS or in Windows? If the later, which Windows? (95?)

Do you happen to remember the game company that made it?
I can't remember any types of trading. It probably was some Space Combat game

My old computer had Win98 all the time, means I played it on it. Doubt it was DOS, graphics weren't bad

Most of space games from that list were 1st person (cockpit view) either top-view, however game I'm searching for was 3rd person.
In response to Ripiz
This is a tricky one. The more prominent features being:

1. You can upgrade your ship (choices being from about 70k cash to over a million cash) but not engage in trading.

2. Sometimes you'll fly with friendly ships.

3. It's a 3D, third person perspective game.

4. It's a Sci-Fi combat game with random encounters.

A really unusual combination. I'm not sure if this game even exists - we might have skewed our criteria a bit.

Here's two lists it might be on:

A list of third-person shooter simulations.

A list of Sci-Fi third person action simulations.

Both lists are set to show only games where a third person perspective was an option.
Haven't found it, however Space Empires: Starfury feels quite similar, but.. Not it
Camera angle is right, but in the Game it was a bit more far. However UI and station views don't match it
In response to Ripiz
I've played a lot of games, including Starfury, but don't think I've played the particular one you're looking for. The closest I can think of is Armada, which was a Dreamcast game that is currently being remade into Armada Online.

One more list you might want to check.
StarControl or Ur-Quan Masters or some such thing?

ts
Page: 1 2