In response to Jeff8500
I was saying that it doesn't take a very long time at all. <.<
In response to Tiberath
Oh, sorry, when you said 10 hours, I assumed you meant wait for the game to install for 10 hours >_>
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
Oh, sorry, when you said 10 hours, I assumed you meant wait for the game to install for 10 hours >_>

I meant ten hours of console gaming glory. I don't know about others, but if I'm going to play a console game, I'm going to play it. Preferably without disruption.
In response to Tiberath
Game installs to the drive are mandatory on PS3s? That seems to be what I'm gleaning from this subtopic. I rent most of my games and I go through at least one a week, and that would cause a lot of space management if I owned a PS3. The 60GB drive my 360 came with is only down 5 GB since I got it last January. Regardless, if the PS3 allows third party memory units then they're already better than the 360.

I buy my XBL time from NewEgg in 13 month increments for $40, and I'd say that's an acceptable expenditure regardless of PSN being free. I don't believe that online play for some games saves them, though; GTA4 was as boring online as it was singleplayer. The only fun I had was in free roam modes with friendly fire off, but I soon got bad gamer reviews and server boots for taking out people inside cars with a sniper rifle, or camping that hangar behind the police helicopters and shooting down any that came after me.
In response to Mobius Evalon
From what I have been told and what I have read, some of the game installs on the PS3 have been mandatory. That isn't speaking for all of them.
In response to Mobius Evalon
You can more or less pick up any old 2.5" SATA drive and throw it in.
In response to Jeff8500
That is completely unreasonable. People shouldn't have to do that. You guys are always giving developers an excuse. If anything they should deliver update disks free of charge.
In response to Ham Doctor
That doesn't mean they can't still download it. Every night, they could unpause/start a firmware download on their computer, and then when it's done, they can burn it to a DVD for their PS3.

They could also just have a friend download it and burn it to a DVD for them.

EDIT: CDs might work, too, the firmware is only 700 MB.
In response to Jeff8500
I don't know anyone who has a network set up through a fricking dial up modem. It'd be a pain in the ass. And most people can't afford to stay online all night, tying up their phone line. And downloading a part of a update every day, a hour a day would take forever. 30MBS was huge when I had dial up.
Good thing you can download them on your computer. Sony are even nice enough to let you pause and resume later.

It'd be really nice if you could do that for all console and game updates.
In response to Smoko
I think it's unreasonable to even assume that people have the internet access to them all the time. As a developer Sony should have this stuff as perfect as possible before hand. And if the system needs an update you should be able to request a free upgrade DVD through a store, online, or over the phone.
I agree. I am totally against things that require the internet, apart from online only games, of course. I was just showing that Sony have the best system for distributing system updates. Nintendo bundles them on game disks, the others probably do too but I'm not entirely certain about that.

What I'd really like to see is everyone making system and game updates downloadable from a computer. Especially Microsoft with 360 game updates. They're stored temporarily in a cache and updates for games that haven't been played recently get deleted to make room for more. This is a problem because save files made with games that have been updated are useless once you lose the update. Somewhere along the line someone will go to play a game only to find out they have to start again.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
I agree. I am totally against things that require the internet, apart from online only games, of course. I was just showing that Sony have the best system for distributing system updates. Nintendo bundles them on game disks, the others probably do too but I'm not entirely certain about that.

What I'd really like to see is everyone making system and game updates downloadable from a computer. Especially Microsoft with 360 game updates. They're stored temporarily in a cache and updates for games that haven't been played recently get deleted to make room for more. This is a problem because save files made with games that have been updated are useless once you lose the update. Somewhere along the line someone will go to play a game only to find out they have to start again.

Microsoft has already added the 'Update System from CD' feature.
I had to update a friend of mine's X Box 360 because some media wasn't able to play and he didn't have internet on his system so I just did it with a CD.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/ systemupdates.htm

And as far as the whole 'Console War' thing goes;
Here's my Out-Of-The-Box look at things so I'm not picking sides.
This is between X Box 360 and Playstation 3.

Price = Roughly the same at start.
But, if you take in fact of the Features and Abilities of both systems, the 360 costs more overall.
360 + BlueRay Player + HDD + Extras that PS3 is Included with.

Game Selection = 360.
But, if you take in fact the shipping dates of both systems, the 360 was out longer so it will obviously have a wider selection of games. Given that if both were shipped at the same date, game selection would be fairly equal.
(Not going into Exclusives).

Multimedia Support = Playstation 3.
By far the Playstation 3 is better and more advanced than the 360 for Multimedia Entertainment.

Online Capability = Playstation 3.
360 has you at a 'Pay For Play' system with XboxLive Subscription.
Playstation 3 however, is (for the most part) Free.

Multipurpose = Playstation 3.
The ability to swap HDD with a simple Laptop HDD means more space completely. The 360 goes by PreSet sizes and the Playstation 3 allows any size as long as the HDD fits the format.
Also, the Playstation 3 allows for Installation of Operating Systems, allowing one to even have the ability to Emulate a X Box 360 on a Playstation 3, whereas the 360 fails completely for any other purpose except Movies, Music, Games, Communication.

Known Errors = 360.
Maybe errors from the start. Microsoft was foolish to ship the 360 off way too early without further tests and bug hunting. This isn't a good category to win in. The Playstation 3 by far has fewer known errors which is important for ones who don't know how to handle such errors without spending even more money for your system to be sent away, then wait, then receive a refurbished system that could potentially have the same exact error.

Stability = Playstation 3.
With it's higher power (yes, this causes somewhat more voltage than the 360 which is a downside) the Playstation 3 packs a stronger punch than the 360. Now, I haven't tried all games on both systems but every game on the Playstation 3, I've tried on the 360 as well. I was more impressed with the PS3 which is probably the System Hardware and BlueRay that made it so.

Pretty much...
If I had to give it a scale from 1/10...
X Box 360 = 7/10
Playstation 3 = 8.5/10

Neither impress me to where I would spend $300 or so the second I get it.
But, The Playstation 3 is the underdog in this competition due to Release Date and the competition is still going on so I cannot say neither system is better.
I'm going by Current Standings, and by equal personal experience with both systems along with a unbiased opinion.
In response to Acebloke
I played about half way through Fallout 3 and got bored. It is an American RPG 100%. Like Oblivion and Mirrowind, it just didn't keep my interest. Fallout 3 was basically the same game as Oblivion with a new setting and story.

I bought Borderlands over the weekend and got to level 22. Although the world is very similar to Fallout 3, the gameplay is absolutely nothing like it. Borderlands is a first person Diablo. The loot even spills out of the enemies when you kill them. The dialog is sparse to none, no bartering, true FPS gameplay, randomly generated weapons with a lot of stat modifiers, and I could go on with the differences but I wont. I can tell this is something that we will not agree on, but they are very different games. The only thing I can see that is similar is the world and story outline. But that is just one small aspect of Borderlands(but a big part of Fallout 3).
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Are you joking me with the multimedia support? Not only can I stream tons of stuff to my Xbox from my PC, but the Xbox 360 has played everything I have thrown at it burnt to a disk or copied to a flash drive as far as "media" goes.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Also, the Playstation 3 allows for Installation of Operating Systems, allowing one to even have the ability to Emulate a X Box 360 on a Playstation 3, whereas the 360 fails completely for any other purpose except Movies, Music, Games, Communication.

This is only true for the original console. The PS3 slim had Linux support removed.
1) I don't know if you're being purposely ignorant or not, but you can download the PS3 firmware on your computer, as well as your PS3.

2) Since when do people use their phone when they sleep?

EDIT: Also, you ignored my point about having someone download it and burn it to a CD for you.
In response to Jeff8500
Unless your being ignorant to be funny, please stop. Downloading firmware then burning it to a CD to put in your PS3 TO INSTALL would obfuscate the process heavily, and make it take even longer.
Ham Doctor wrote:
Are you joking me with the multimedia support? Not only can I stream tons of stuff to my Xbox from my PC, but the Xbox 360 has played everything I have thrown at it burnt to a disk or copied to a flash drive as far as "media" goes.

Playstation 3 does the exact same thing you are saying and more.
Like previously mentioned, BlueRay is x10 greater than DVD.
X Box 360 has no BlueRay support.
Meaning Playstation 3 Media (BlueRay) is x10 greater than X Box 360 Media (DVD).

Also, I have found in experience that Playstation 3 comes with more file support at start than the 360 does.
I don't know about HD TV support since I've never tried the Playstation 3. But I will admit, from what I've seen in the X Box 360, it is neat.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:

This is only true for the original console. The PS3 slim had Linux support removed.

Aww, when did this happen.
Does that mean WinXP, 98, 95 support is also removed from newer consoles?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6