ID:151268

I am considering a post apocalypse game and i am trying to figure out all the systems possible i could add. i am considering adding these systems and i am wounding if their are any other the community would suggests

Core sytems(game play)
search system
farming system(slow tho)
fishing system
plant system(alchemy)
hunger system
crafting system
Ham Raido system(ooc chat)
minor core systems
forge/smithing system
salvage system
house building system
weather system
combat system/weapon system
must have also
skill system
trible system
lock+lock picking system
Major features
vehice system
electronic system
boat system
chemisty system
zombie system
job system
I would suggest scrapping the hunger system. IMO there is a line you don't cross, between fun realistic systems and so real its annoying like in real life. Ive never seen a hunger system be fun, they only bring unnecessary anxiety of when you will have to trudge back from your adventure to eat some food. And at some point the player becomes so wealthy that food is easy to come by, making the meter just plain obnoxious.
You're doing this backwards. Work on the basics of the game. Only the most basic systems. The stuff that is requires for gameplay. Then work from there to see what is feasible, practical, and enjoyable. Don't come up with an exhaustive list of what you can do first.
yea i am sure this is what i want and i will work on the structure of the system when i get to them

I believe since it is a survival game you should have to eat but it would be a slow cooldown
In response to Zelda123
I have to agree with eating, however I would structure the entire mechanic as such.

You have the main score of Stamina. Stamina is the main score that is slowly reduced by time, strenuous activities, taking damage, ect. It is replenished by eating and resting, however the more of one you do, the less effective it becomes until you do as much of the other.
- i.e.) Each time you eat, the next time you do becomes less effective until you rest, and vice versa, the more you sleep, the less effective it becomes in replenishing Stamina until you eat. Doing both actions interchangeably will maximize Stamina replenishment.

Another thing you'll need is a Fatigue score. Fatigue is the maximum stamina you can spend at one time. Doing strenuous actions reduces your fatigue quickly, once you're out of fatigue, you have to rest, no matter how much stamina you have. Nothing but time can replenish Fatigue, but it replenishes much faster than Stamina.

With this mechanical setup, you can keep food as an essential resource, but nothing game breaking. Water of course needs to be mixed in with this system as well, because water IS an essential resource for any survival game. This also limits players in a very realistic way. You can't run 20 miles in one go, however if you jog for a few hours, you can arrive there in decent time.

The hardest thing in developing a survival game is determining where the draw the line between making it realistic and keeping the game aspects. There's no "Golden Point" on this scale, so you have to be very careful with these style games. However if it's done properly, you can find yourself sitting on something very popular.
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
You have the main score of Stamina. Stamina is the main score that is slowly reduced by time, strenuous activities, taking damage, ect. It is replenished by eating and resting,
Another thing you'll need is a Fatigue score. Fatigue is the maximum stamina you can spend at one time. Doing strenuous actions reduces your fatigue quickly, once you're out of fatigue, you have to rest, no matter how much stamina you have.

A little off-topic, but I wanted to point out that this is the system that Harvest Moon uses. :p
In response to Unwanted4Murder
It's also a realistic system. When you don't eat for an extended period of time in real life, you don't just die. Your body starts feeding off of itself.

On another note, one can live without food for nearly a month(many a suicide-by-starvation have proved this), though the weaker you get, the more likely it is that something else may kill you... Disease, organ failure, accident due to mental instability(caused by high levels of stress, physical or mental- most suicide-by-starvation practitioners have gone into psychotic states, many even hallucinating).

Also, I eat once per day and usually nothing more filling than ramen noodles. I weigh at 160 and seem to be fairly healthy.
In response to Medicator
Medicator wrote:
Also, I eat once per day and usually nothing more filling than ramen noodles. I weigh at 160 and seem to be fairly healthy.

I hope you take nutrient supplements. Instant ramen is one of the most nutrient devoid foods you could possibly eat.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
A little off-topic, but I wanted to point out that this is the system that Harvest Moon uses. :p

Interesting. It must be a system that works. I've never played any of the Harvest Moon games, so I'm unsure how fluently it manages. Also, apologies if my post seemed slightly off topic, I just had an Idea that had to be forced through an outlet. When I have moments like that, If I don't write it down or tell someone, I feel like I'm about to explode.