ID:259460

I'm trying to setup a subscription system for the ShapeShifter beta test. That way when the test is over, I can cancel the subscriptions or delete the hub entry and I can be sure there aren't any buggy beta versions still in use. I'm not planning to charge anything and I'd like people to get immediate access, so that rules out pay subscriptions, invitation, and donation. Any way I can do this, or should I look into some alternate method to accomplish my goal?
Im not sure if this works, but you could try making it subscription and make the price 0.

Just a thought.

-Rcet
In response to Rcet
Rcet wrote:
Im not sure if this works, but you could try making it subscription and make the price 0.

Yep, already tried it. I just get a message saying I need to set a price or set it to invitation. I also messed around with channel membership but ran into the same problem when trying to grant channel membership (and associated passport access) for free.

Thanks for the suggestion though. ;-)
Air Mapster wrote:
I'm trying to setup a subscription system for the ShapeShifter beta test. That way when the test is over, I can cancel the subscriptions or delete the hub entry and I can be sure there aren't any buggy beta versions still in use.

I don't think you can get exactly what you want...I doubt there is a way to stop games from functioning once they are downloaded, subscription or no subscription, hub entry deleted or not.

Whatever approach you take you can end up with old buggy games out there.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that! Maybe we need a self-detonating option on game installations.

--Dan
In response to Dan
Dan wrote:
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that! Maybe we need a self-detonating option on game installations.

If it were time-bombed or something that might be interesting.

I'd want to avoid being able to disable games by removing a subscription/hub entry, due to potential for abuse. People pay for a downloadable game, say, then the creator gets huffy and sends out a self destruct command -- that would be bad.