ID:274588

While I won't be able to contribute directly to any talk of the new Star Wars (I'm not seeing it until at least DVD--sorry Lucas, you screwed up with that last one), I saw this link today. The guy makes a really interesting argument that Vader and the Empire were the good guys, while the Rebels were the bad guys.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/ 000/001/248ipzbt.asp

Then there's always this fun article from a few years ago about the Luke Side of the Force. Makes sense to me, but then I'm not sure how it fits in with the prequels.

http://www.brunching.com/features/feature-lukeside.html
(minor language warning)
Well, I guess everyone in the Star Wars universe will just have to do the space conquest thing. Whoever conquers the most wins. Personally, if it were up to me I'd swipe a high-end hyperdrive ship and head strait to the next universe.

And if I happened to encounter one of those Star Treck ships, I'd happily spend the rest of eternity in their holodeck. I never could understand why the star treck people don't just set the ship to warp eight in one direction and have everyone hop into the holodeck and live out the rest of their lives on clear-water beaches being served by bikini-clad young women bearing fruit smoothies.

Gotta love technology. Who cares about the rebels.
Air Mapster wrote:
While I won't be able to contribute directly to any talk of the new Star Wars (I'm not seeing it until at least DVD--sorry Lucas, you screwed up with that last one), I saw this link today. The guy makes a really interesting argument that Vader and the Empire were the good guys, while the Rebels were the bad guys.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/ 000/001/248ipzbt.asp

The point in question is that Senator Palpatine is clearly lying in Episode I. The Republic is dysfunctional, granted, but that doesn't mean Senator Palpatine wants to make it function for the better -- he just wants the power, and he uses the Dark Side to get it.

It's obviously a flawed argument on both sides of the spectrum, but that's because it's just a movie. Why doesn't that guy find something better to do with his Wednesdays? =P

That was a fun read! Though I think the article was intended mostly tongue-in-cheek. In addition to putting a huge spin on some of the examples he cites, he also omits a few details that reveal more about the Empire's character. (Two that come readily to mind: the Empire tortures Rebels in at least two of the movies, which is, at the very least, not something to be undertaken lightly; and despite the movies' evidence that alien races can hold their own very well in an open market, the supposedly "meritocratic" Imperial Academy seems to be humans-only -- but then, maybe that's just to avoid the logistical problems of building a helmet for Hammerhead).

Anyway, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Episode III includes some scenes that make the Rebel cause far more appealing.
In response to Gughunter
Ahh I wanna die in front of luke and get a ghost body......