ID:259516

While i was sitting in Culvurs, eating my french fries and chicken I though of a great idea(Or @ Least I Think It Is).

Why not make a "BYOND Camp" during a week the summer(though this summer wouldn't work 'cuz most people have already planned it).

Below Are Some Ideas I Thought Of/Reasons For The Camp...

1.BYONDers could meet Dan and Tom and ask them questions about BYOND.

2.BYONDers could meet other BYONDers and they could help each other with code.

3. A cost for preticipation, like say $50(You could add an additional $15 if you wanted a Blue Book, Discount Baby :Þ)

4. Dan and Tom could show us some ideas they have for BYOND in the future, and let us test some samples.

5.It would have to be like a week(over-night) because BYOND is all around the country.

6.You could host it at like a local colledge or something with a Computer lab, and dorms.

7. Thats all I've thought of so far, but if an other BYONDers have suggestions please reply.

[p.s. Rember this would have to be in summer, for obvious reasons, and in the later part of July, because most summer camps are during June so that would allow more peeps to come]

Shun Di, Out

2.BYONDers could meet other BYONDers and they could help each other with code(or for me, I'd like to pop Rae in the mouth, :Þ)

Lol that'd be the day, but sure ill let you try.. and ide go to this camp sooooooo fast just to meet some BYONDers "and get even with some to" ^_^
In response to RaeKwon
LoL Rae fat chance.

Shun Di, Out
In response to Shun Di
Shun Di wrote:
LoL Rae fat chance.

Shun Di, Out

wtf?
Shun Di wrote:
While i was sitting in Culvurs, eating my french fries and chicken I though of a great idea(Or @ Least I Think It Is).

Why not make a "BYOND Camp" during the summer(though this summer wouldn't work 'cuz most people have already planned it).

Below Are Some Ideas I Thought Of/Reasons For The Camp...

1.BYONDers could meet Dan and Tom and ask them questions about BYOND.

All summer long? I'm not sure Dan or Tom would want to spend all summer with a lot of the player types BYOND currently has to offer. Besides, that would mean a whole summer without updates to BYOND - not to mention a whole summer without a life for Dan and Tom.

2.BYONDers could meet other BYONDers and they could help each other with code(or for me, I'd like to pop Rae in the mouth, :Þ)

Oh wonderful. "Oh look, it's Foomer, lets kill him!"

3. A cost for preticipation, like say $50(You could add an additional $15 if you wanted a Blue Book, Discount Baby :Þ)

$50 a day maybe. I don't think Dan and Tom would be willing to sacrifice that much time for you otherwise.

4. Dan and Tom could show us some ideas they have for BYOND in the future, and let us test some samples.

They already do that. You read the forums for ideas for BYOND in the future, and you download betas for some samples.

5.It would have to be like a week(over-night) because BYOND is all around the country.

$350 for the stay (not to mention they won't buy your food, bed, clothes, or take care of you physically), a few hundred more for plain tickets...

6.You could host it at like a local colledge or something with a Computer lab, and dorms.

Ouch, how much does it cost to rent a college? Add another $200 to each campee's fee.

7. Thats all I've thought of so far, but if an other BYONDers have suggestions please reply.

I wouldn't go. For whatever reason, I'm too well known in the community, and too well hated by enough people that I'd be going as an alter-ego. Besides, most of the people I'm aquainted with on BYOND are scum :o) (With a few acceptions, most of whom are on my pager list.)

[p.s. Rember this would have to be in summer, for obvious reasons, and in the later part of July, because most summer camps are during June so that would allow more peeps to come]
In response to Foomer
Sorry I Was Thinkin In My Mind Only A Week.
Ill Edit It.

Shun Di Out
Shun Di wrote:
2.BYONDers could meet other BYONDers and they could help
each other with code(or for me, I'd like to pop Rae in
the mouth, :Þ)

<font face="Arial, Helvetica">You just threw away any decent chance of people seriously considering your idea by printing those words. I don't think it would be worth going just to see a bunch of kids fighting... I could walk down to the local school or pub for that...

Besides, one point for the gathering would be to exchange ideas not insurance company addresses. Plus, I don't think DanTom (or anyone else of adult status in the BYOND community) would care to spend their time plaing babysitter or chaperone people.

I, for one, would not tolerate it and would happily kick out those who decide to start fights. I am there to learn, not to referee...</font>

<font face="Arial, Helvetica">Costs for decent 'participation' would realistically be about the same as a typical convention would be - anywhere from $50 to $250 per day per person, depending on where the gathering was held. This may cover the costs of the building you meet in, electricity, Dan and Tom's time, and network usage, but probably does not include hotel and meal costs.</font>

6.You could host it at like a local colledge or something
with a Computer lab, and dorms.

<font face="Arial, Helvetica">That is a good idea, and one worth looking into. Several community colleges in the US have provided cheap convention services in the past. There is also the possibility of hotel/motel conference rooms (might be more expensive than the college idea, but more available depending on the location), or even a BYOND member hosting the gathering in their own home (riskier, but far cheaper).

In general, the idea is a nice one, and one that I am willing to support and maybe try to attend (although probably remotely from this side of the world). But there is a lot of planning to be done before anything serious can be considered...</font>
In response to digitalmouse
This whole idea sort of reminds me of Everquest Fanfares, if you replace all the people who attend those with the green little slimey things from gremlins.

Considering the larger part of the BYOND community, this would not be feasible. Then again, if the larger part of the community gets upset if they have to spend $0.40 on a game or so, then I doubt that they would attend something like this anyways.

Although it would give me something to do. I happen to be in California, in the very city where Dan and Tom live(if I remember correctly) for up to a month starting June.

Alathon
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Besides, most of the people I'm aquainted with on BYOND are scum :o) (With a few acceptions, most of whom are on my pager list.)

...I'm on your pager list...right?
As it stands now I'm not sure this is workable, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

My only problem is, given the recent changes in airport security (to the worse, I think), I'd rather avoid flying anywhere at all until the worst of the morons (read: Norman Mineta) get rooted out and they start doing things right.

Flying was enough of a hassle for me when I took a business trip last year. Not the security, but everything else; it was my first time flying anywhere and I was quite nervous at first. I wouldn't feel any less safe on a plane for all that's happened since then, but it's a matter of tallying up annoyances to see whether it's worth it to deal with them. At least ticket price is probably much less of an issue than it was last year. (Of course, since it was a business trip I didn't pick up the tab on that.)

I think it'd be fun to have a sort of BYOND convention like that--and there's few communities I'd say that about, but this one would definitely work. (The price involved to participate would have a beneficial effect of weeding out most or all of the DBZers, too.) I'm not sure what we'd do for a whole week besides ooh and ahh and eeeww at each other's source code--to whatever extent anyone would show it--but hey, it sounds like a good time.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
(The price involved to participate would have a
beneficial effect of weeding out most or all of the
DBZers, too.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">True - not many of these kids are gonna convince mom and dad to fork over large sums of cash just for a road trip to meet people they only know from an online forum.

Also, since the theme of this 'camp' would most likely be programming focused, that alone would filter a majority of the 'script kiddies' or the cut-n-paste crowd. I think we would end up with a core group of interested veteran and newbie programmers...</font>

I'm not sure what we'd do for a whole week besides ooh
and ahh and eeeww at each other's source code--to
whatever extent anyone would show it--but hey, it sounds
like a good time.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">If this was kept to a focused weekend, alot could be accomplished in 2-3 days. Throw in a evening cook-out or party, and could it actually be enjoyable!</font>
What would BYOND do without my brain :Þ

Shun Di, Out
I don't think this would be a good idea for real life... but it might be cool for someone to make a program that you can chat with BYONDcamp admins (or whatever you want to call um) to learn about BYOND... I don't think Dantom would have enough time for even attending that though, as it is.
In response to Kunark
If Dan has time to goto somones Career day, he'd proably have time 4 this, and about a BYOND game... that would be pretty stupid.

Shun Di, Out
In response to Shun Di
Shun Di wrote:

<font face="Arial, Helvetica">Ok 'brain': since you started this, how about beginning some work towards this goal? Find out where everybody is at; look for a central location where everybody can get to; come up with some venue locations that are possible (hotels, colleges, someones home); what dates would be good; what costs will there be; draw up some ideas for at least a 2-3 day camp (what will be talked about? tutorials? discussion groups? previews?); etc. etc. etc...</font> :p
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! LoL Will You Help Me.

Shun Di, Out
[EDIT] Whats Or AIM S/N
In response to Shun Di
Shun Di wrote:

Shun Di, Out

There are such a wide array of insults that can spawn from that statement, so please avoid using it in the future. ;)

- Malver
LoW has a plan to shoot us all.....

And, I wouldnt go to some coding tutorial crap. I would rather have fun! I wanna fight Rcet hand to hand...can't let him sneak in that bo though :P. Just kidding, I really want to go and have a good time. Not to program.... Maybe we could have a BYOND dance and party. Then we'd go out to fun places and resturants (mainly Hooters). But not to program. Not EVER to program. :)
In response to Shun Di
I didn't say a BYOND game, I said a program. For chat with BYONDcamp admins or Dantom.
In response to Shun Di
Shun Di wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! LoL Will You Help Me.
[EDIT] Whats Or AIM S/N

<font face="Arial, Helvetica">If you are referring to me, I could help, but it would be damn expensive with phone calls from Germany to the U.S. (where this event would be held I would imagine) for me to make all the arrangements, or even just to see who would be interested (I suppose that part could be done via IM services and email...).

I can help in looking up info on the 'net for places to stay and meet, their costs, train/plane fares, etc.

ICQ: 115534214 (though I'm rarely on anymore these days)
email: [email protected] (best best)

A very important issue is this: would DanTom even want to attend such a camp? It would be a bit silly if all this was planned and the 'guests of honor' did not even show up! :)

So, HEY DANTOM! What are your thoughts on the subject????</font>
Page: 1 2 3 4