ID:265196

Has anyone considered making a world that uses a technique for maps like FF7 used (Everywhere but the Mini-Games and the World Map).
Like a .png world, filled with objects that are the opacity, density, ect. I'm guessing the resources would be rather large after a while and it wouldnt be the most efficient system, but it could make for some really nice looking worlds.
I can make a 3200x3200 pixel (Aka, 100x100 tile) png file thats as low as 150k. So a 100x100x5 map wouldnt be that huge.
Also, if it was a solo-player game it wouldnt be too bad. 10 meg rsc downloads for a BYOND game wouldnt be bad as far as Im concerned, as long as its a decent game.
-DogMan
Dog Man wrote:
Has anyone considered making a world that uses a technique for maps like FF7 used (Everywhere but the Mini-Games and the World Map).
Like a .png world, filled with objects that are the opacity, density, ect. I'm guessing the resources would be rather large after a while and it wouldnt be the most efficient system, but it could make for some really nice looking worlds.
I can make a 3200x3200 pixel (Aka, 100x100 tile) png file thats as low as 150k. So a 100x100x5 map wouldnt be that huge.
Also, if it was a solo-player game it wouldnt be too bad. 10 meg rsc downloads for a BYOND game wouldnt be bad as far as Im concerned, as long as its a decent game.
-DogMan

It's a neat idea. It would probably work well with pixel movement, hide the tile based movement as much as possible : ). I don't like games with large downloads, but if I knew it was a deent game, then it would be worth it.
You could even use Gughunter's library for handling large turfs.
In response to OneFishDown
Bah, large downloads don't scare me....I have cable :D
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:
Bah, large downloads don't scare me....I have cable :D

Yes, and I have 56k. Go ahead, rub it in some more =P
Haha i have cable too!
In response to Mrhat99au
My PC says my Modem is ISDN and my modem says my modem is ADSL.
I had (and still frequently use) 56k for 6 years. I had the kind that would randomly drop you _whenever_, which means right in the middle of fighting that 40,000 hp 300 damage per hit mega-monster in a ROM2.4 mud, you would get dropped while "tanking". I know how it feels.

I'm thankful for my cable. If you ever have the chance to upgrade, don't think twice about the money cost.
Actually Dog Man there is a good chance that everything in my game EXCEPT the mobs are going to be pre-rendered in 3D programs such as Bryce, Lightwave, etc. My first issue I have dealt with besides the masking problems of shrinking objects down so small is how I'm going to "cut" edges out of large .png turfs for realistic shores. Today I sat down and actually tried to render my entire Island Maps but thought it was a bit overkill. But hey, I am usually lurking in Newbie Central so what do I know? ;)

Hepitank