ID:275381

Oh crud, I was hacked while I was during school. This hacker revealed my address, deleted my hub entries with no back-ups, and mass paged nasty and mean messages to my list.
Time to lock all my doors.
*raises an eyebrow*

and how, pray-tell, did he get into your hub entries just by knowing your address? (considering hub entries are not on your local machine)
In response to digitalmouse
I had my address already in there preset and he deleted my hub entries that I had entered. He put it so it showed my address and deleted the entries.
In response to Thief Jack
I would guess that you weren't hacked, per se; more likely someone got hold of your BYOND password and caused as much trouble on your BYOND account as they could.
In response to Crispy
If the password is saved to the internet explorer auto-complete (Which most people seem to do) then someone using that BlackIce* or what ever it's called could get it. I wouldn't call them a hacker, but yeah.

*I can't remember the name, but I remember it sounds like a beer that someone would drink to look cool.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
If the password is saved to the internet explorer auto-complete (Which most people seem to do)

Autocomplete=EVIL. I keep trying to convince people of that fact, but they never listen. =P

then someone using that BlackIce* or what ever it's called could get it.

Isn't BlackIce a firewall? =) I assume you're referring to a backdoor program, like BackOrifice or something.

It's possible, sure, but I can think of a lot of things a hacker bent on causing chaos and destruction could do that are more effective than screwing with somebody's account on a website. =P
In response to Crispy
That's my point. A hacker would have much more efficient techniques, but given the circumstances it is probably a one trick pony.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
DarkView wrote:
then someone using that BlackIce* or what ever it's called could get it.

Heh, you shouldn't have left out his footnote:

*I can't remember the name, but I remember it sounds like a beer that someone would drink to look cool.

Isn't BlackIce a firewall? =) I assume you're referring to a backdoor program, like BackOrifice or something.

There's a joke in there somewhere ;P
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
> Isn't BlackIce a firewall? =) I assume you're referring to a backdoor program, like BackOrifice or something.

There's a joke in there somewhere ;P

Actually there is a program called BackOrifice, a program designed to give complete access and control to anothers computer- right down to moving the mouse and opening/closing the CD drive (great party trick!). The hard task is getting the program onto the target system and keeping it hidden from anti-virus and firewall programs (most can detect BO easily now-a-days, so it is mostly used as an exersize in remote system control). One of its useable functions is to maintain/control remote computers, similar to other programs like VNC or TinyVNC (look them up on the net). The name is a play on words for Microsoft's BackOffice system management software.

I do agree that it is likely someone retrieved your BYOND account data somehow. Better luck next time! Try installing a decent firewall program like Sygate Personal Firwall (http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm), and AVG antivirus software (www.grisoft.com)- both free. As long as you keep them up-to-date, you should have no problems...

And don't forget weekly backups! :p
Ah, I didn't mean to dispute the validity of said program, but rather that it struck me very funny that DarkView said that the program he had in mind sounded like the name of a beer, and the program "BackOrifice" was mentioned in response...

Not the type of beverage I'd be likely to partake in...lol

But, I will concede that joke, as it was very lowbrow and not entirely appropriate around here...lol (Too late!)
In response to DarkView
Who has a black orifice?

I doubt he is a hacker, but I will tell you one thing..These false accusation posts need to stop...its getting annoying.

Oh BTW, its smirinof ice (12% by volume, spelling?)
I hate firewalls and anti virus things. To me there just a wiaste of space. I need as much space as I can get so I can keep downloading movies, MP3's, Games, and episodes. I just downloaded The Mtrix Revolutions yesterday. It was a 600MB file. Took about 2 and a half hours. I'll be burning on to a VCD and watching it on my Mom's boyfriend's Big screen TV and sweet surround sound system. Even though I already saw it at the movies once.
In response to Codesterz
I hate firewalls and anti virus things. To me there just a wiaste of space. I need as much space as I can get so I can keep downloading movies, MP3's, Games, and episodes. I just downloaded The Mtrix Revolutions yesterday. It was a 600MB file. Took about 2 and a half hours. I'll be burning on to a VCD and watching it on my Mom's boyfriend's Big screen TV and sweet surround sound system. Even though I already saw it at the movies once.

I'm not going to bother with my piracy rant since I don't think you actually seem to care about anyone but yourself. But you should probably be more concerned about viruses since most of them are usually tagged along with pirated stuff.
In response to Theodis
Personally this is the only movie I have downloaded onto this PC. Once I have a PC that is worth proctecting I'll care. But I'm using a friggin IBM PC 330 here. It's a peice of crap just ready to be shot. And my compaq presario ain't to good either.
In response to Codesterz
Codesterz wrote:
I hate firewalls and anti virus things. To me there just a wiaste of space. I need as much space as I can get so I can keep downloading movies, MP3's, Games, and episodes.

cool- then don't come crying when something bad happens to your system! :p

And a little secret: you could remove several Windows programs (like the games for example, and Outlook Express), giving you plenty of room to install things to protect your precious downloads.
In response to Codesterz
Codesterz wrote:

Wow, mp3's, games, episodes... how much of that stuff is actually legal? Have you at leasted tried to install a Spyware remover and checked to see if someone is watching your computer through browser hijacks and simple script hacks trying to find illegal software?
Time for some good'ol fashion argueing. When a virus protector is up your using some of your RAM and CPU. It causes the PC to run a little slower. When you have a PC with only 80MB RAM you need as much of it as you can get. I have a quick question. What is your opinion on WindowXP. My opnion is I hate it. When I get a new PC I'll get rid of XP and replace with 98. XP uses to much graphics and I prefer the look of the original Windows.
In response to Codesterz
Codesterz wrote:
80MB RAM

How can you live with that??? I have 256MB and I still find that's not enough!

~Ease~
In response to Codesterz
Codesterz wrote:
Time for some good'ol fashion argueing. When a virus protector is up your using some of your RAM and CPU. It causes the PC to run a little slower. When you have a PC with only 80MB RAM you need as much of it as you can get. I have a quick question. What is your opinion on WindowXP. My opnion is I hate it. When I get a new PC I'll get rid of XP and replace with 98. XP uses to much graphics and I prefer the look of the original Windows.

hehe..ur a funny guy...personally..i love xp..and it can easily be made to look like 'original windows', unless ur talking about 3.1 or earlier:p As for resources..takes a hell of a lot...but thats why i run 98se when i wanna play games, and disconnect myself from my network, and i run xp pro when im developing, internet stuff, or multiplayer games...

xp runs slowly on my hp pavilion..but only because i havent recieved my shipment of ram yet... right now its running 64megs... however, on my 1.7ghz 256ram, radeon m 8500 laptop, runs great...can even play gta3 at near full speed.. runs a little better in 98

on a side note...its not the graphics that slow xp down...all the graphic extras can be turned off...the problem is with the services..however most of the uneccessary ones can be turned off as well... as for added features that i use and the reason i will never go back to 98se..
1. Hibernation = saving ram to disk and shutting off..when turned back on ram is loaded back and you can continue where you left off instantly when the ram is loaded..total time on my cpu.. shutting down or turning on 20 sec
2. Nearly never crashes.. total uptime..including hibernations = 15 days
without hibernations = 7
3. Better menu system..makes dev time faster, im impatiant
3a. includes nicer start menu
3a. thumbnails!!
4. easier networking
5. users/password = harder to hack..98 lacks tremendously on its user system

theres prolly more..
In response to Codesterz
Doesn't XP require 128MB of RAM? I use XP and hate it. I think it's ridiculous to have all of that un-needed stuff wasting memory. Also, some of the system stuff has been moved around and I don't use it enough to memorize where it is, so it takes about 20 minutes for me to start scandisk. :)

Eventually, I'm going to use Linux(or is it Unix) on another computer until I'm confident in my abilities. Then, if all goes well and I like Linux, I'll put it on my current pc(assuming it's still good at that time). Maybe then I'll try to impose my new OS on the family. :D
Page: 1 2