In response to Jnco904
its not hard...but i run most os things from run on the start menu tho...^_^ takes too long to dig it up anywhere else

ps.. xp will run on just about anything:D just very very slowly...i think im pretty much at the bottom end of the what xp will run on pool...for my desktop machine anyways..
In response to Codesterz
You DO know that "XP" can be optimized to act/look/perform like Windoze 98? All you have to do is change the settings like, no stupid custom window colors, back grounds etc...
In response to Jnco904
Jnco904 wrote:
Eventually, I'm going to use Linux(or is it Unix) on another computer until I'm confident in my abilities. Then, if all goes well and I like Linux, I'll put it on my current pc(assuming it's still good at that time). Maybe then I'll try to impose my new OS on the family. :D

i think its funny when ppl say they hate windows...except for in your case, because you are actually going to attempt linux.

but doesnt it aggravate you when someone says m$ this m$ that, they suck linux is better...when theyve obviously never even seen linux? they dont know what their getting into...theres a reason windows is THE best os family in the world..sure linux is good...but..
1. hardware compatibity, unless its strictly for the mac, itll run on a windows machine..even then depending on what it is itll run on both if not windows only
2. driver compatibility, see #1
3. easy to use, period
4. a heck of a lot easier to secure
5. security...a well-secured windows machine will beat an unsecured linux machine anyday..
We had assumed someone got into your account. After seeing your byond.com/people page? Woo! We thought you went crazy for a second -_-

I assume you've gotten control of your account and changed your PW?
In response to Jerico2day
Wow, people DO buy Microsoft's blather!

Concerning hardware compatibility, Linux is compatible with quite a few more systems types than windows. Linux can even run on processor types other than the x86's.

Considerind drivers, in most cases there's no reason to even bring that up. Unfortunately, some modem and NIC(network card) companies decide to not release drivers and to not give support for people trying to create their own. There aren't very many though.

Easy to use, period? You install a nice Linux distro(eg, RedHat), and tell it to boot up in graphical mode, it'll be just as easy to use as windows.

Windows is a heck of a lot easier to secure? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh man! Never laughed that hard in a long time. You install Linux, you choose the nice "High" setting for the firewall in the installation(which IS the default, and you may not even get prompted about it), and you won't have any problems. Unlike windows, *cough*Outlook Express*, *cough*Blaster Virus*cough*, etc.

A well secured windows machine will beat an unsecured linux machine any day? A well secured linux machine will beat an unsecured windows machine any day. A well secured anything will beat an unsecured anything else, hands down. The difference is, with Linux, good security is the default. You don't have to do anything special, it IS secured, unless of course you go running around disabling firewalls and starting up unneeded services(a la Microsoft Windows) for no particular reason. The people who need "ease of use", shouldn't be expected to go around buying/downloading and installing firewalls, virus scanners, not use Outlook Express, and configure everything properly, because they won't.

The reason Windows is the "most widely used" OS in the world is simple. IBM created the PC believing it would be just a fad. They chose to Microsoft's MS-DOS with their computers because they didn't expect the PC to take off. It did. The only reason Microsoft Windows is so widely used it because OEMs(the guys that sell you the pre-built computers) install it by default.
In response to Ease
256MB is fine unless you're off to compile some huge programs, run some 3D development software, or play top of the line games with all their fancy options checked on.
In response to Codesterz
Time for some good'ol fashion argueing. When a virus protector is up your using some of your RAM and CPU. It causes the PC to run a little slower. When you have a PC with only 80MB RAM you need as much of it as you can get. I have a quick question. What is your opinion on WindowXP. My opnion is I hate it. When I get a new PC I'll get rid of XP and replace with 98. XP uses to much graphics and I prefer the look of the original Windows.

With 80MBs of RAM I can see why you'd hate Windows XP :P. I'd hate it too with that little to spare. On my 2.66ghz machine with 512MBs of RAM and a 120GB hard drive though Windows XP runs great. I disabled all the stupid colorful GUI features and have set up the nice classic grey look with some pale blue background for the desktop :). Windows XP is the most stable and compatible version I have used and despite people have been whineing about DOS support I've been able to get all my DOS games to run fine. I can even play Ultima VI now! I didn't even need to use any special copatibility settings it just ran fine. This is pretty cool since I haven't been able to play it since I stopped using Win 3.1 :P.

So I think WindowsXP is a great OS if you have the system to run it well. I don't can't stand using Linux though as the GNOME GUI runs incredibly slow compared to how well Win XP runs on the same machine and any graphical applications crawl also. So if I do anything in Linux it's from the command prompt which I'm still not very familiar with :P. But it's good for hosting stuff.
In response to Theodis
Maybe try using KDE.
In response to Jon88
Easy to use, period? You install a nice Linux distro(eg, RedHat), and tell it to boot up in graphical mode, it'll be just as easy to use as windows.

Even with a graphical mode Linux doesn't even come close to having an intuitive interface like Windows especially the later version of windows. Back when I first started using windows in '94 it took me no longer than a day to figure out how to handle the interface and get what I want accomplished. That was my first experiance with a computer with a real OS(previous to that I was using an ancient TI computer I got from relatives that was quite dated even for that time). I've fiddled with Linux for a few days(spread out!) and still can't figure how to do basic tasks like setting BYOND up so I do have to reinstall it everytime I open a new command prompt.

I don't see where in the world you get the idea Linux is as simple as windows because that isn't even close to true at least for me.

Windows is a heck of a lot easier to secure? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh man! Never laughed that hard in a long time. You install Linux, you choose the nice "High" setting for the firewall in the installation(which IS the default, and you may not even get prompted about it), and you won't have any problems. Unlike windows, *cough*Outlook Express*, *cough*Blaster Virus*cough*, etc.

I've actually never had a problem with security. Most problems can be avoided with common sense. But the big issue is that most viruses are programmed to attack a windows system not Linux since the majority of people use Windows. If it were the other way around I'm sure you'd end up with plenty more viruses for Linux.

The people who need "ease of use", shouldn't be expected to go around buying/downloading and installing firewalls, virus scanners, not use Outlook Express, and configure everything properly, because they won't.

It's easy to secure Outlook Express. Just disable HTML which never should be used in email anyway and you'll never have a problem with email viruses unless you're stupid enough to run something like coolgame.exe which happins to be only 2k in size.

The reason Windows is the "most widely used" OS in the world is simple. IBM created the PC believing it would be just a fad. They chose to Microsoft's MS-DOS with their computers because they didn't expect the PC to take off. It did. The only reason Microsoft Windows is so widely used it because OEMs(the guys that sell you the pre-built computers) install it by default.

The only reason I'm using it is because all the games I want to play are for it. If everyone made all the cool games for Linux I'd probably use that. But since most of the money is in developing games for Windows I don't think developers are going to change with the exception of a few Linux ports but they tend to only be ports and not games originally intended for Linux.

Windows has always worked great for me. It's just as powerful as I need it to be. I can easily use it and all the applications/games I use are for it. Whether or not it's because of shady buisness tactics is irrelevant it's still my OS of choice since it works for me.
In response to Jon88
The only reason Microsoft Windows is so widely used it because OEMs(the guys that sell you the pre-built computers) install it by default.

I *BEGIN OBVIOUS LIE* hate to nitpick *END OBVIOUS LIE*, but OEM is the Original Equipment Manufacturer. I bought my computer pre-built at Best Buy, and Best Buy sure as heck didn't manufacture it. :P
In response to Hedgemistress
The people who need "ease of use", shouldn't be expected to go around buying/downloading and installing firewalls, virus scanners, not use Outlook Express, and configure everything properly, because they won't.

They won't? I guess i don't *need* ease of use but i'm not lazy enough to keep my *WINDOWS* system unsecure...

You talk about me buying into the ms blater? I think you're buying into the linux propoganda, to think linux is impenetrable with viruses? or impenetrable from hackers?

I'd be much more comfortable with a secured windows machine, instead of a secured linux machine, because i know itll be configured correctly, without having to have a degree or at the very least years of linux experience, which was the point i was trying to get at earlier

as for drivers, the point i was making... er..heres an example.. i have a wifi card, the driver didnt come preinstalled on either my xp install or my linux distro.. downloaded it for xp, installed it, xp took care of the rest by installing the specific driver that the installer unpacked, the linux version was a different story, and if you use linux youll know why, even the faq @ mandrake.com stated it's one of the most difficult aspects of linux, i tried to read the multiple page faq on how to do it...and to this day my linux distro is just taking up space on the 5gig partition of my laptop...i load it up to play the games that came with the distro...that's it:D

Call me stupid for not knowing how to install a linux driver, it might even be very intuitive for you, but when i can install a windows driver in 5 seconds, and cant install a linux driver after one hour, its pretty obvious which one wins in that field..

**after thinking about it, i realized you were talking about driver support, i meant installing (and finding) drivers
Jerico2day babbled:
3. easy to use, period

Try using MacOS X for a while, or the latest KDE or Gnome interface for linux- just as easy as Windows, and in many cases more intuitive. But if you are not open-minded enough to understand any possiblity of a user interface beyond Windows, then you will find it confusing at first. I use all thress major platforms on nearly a daily basis (and in two languages)- they all have their good and bad points, but I favor the Mac and Linux desktops... just easier to work with.

> 4. a heck of a lot easier to secure
5. security...a well-secured windows machine will beat an unsecured linux machine anyday..

pfft. your last point was pointless... any secured machine will beat an unsecured machine- duh! that is like saying your car is better than my car because you lock the doors and I don't. A secured Linux box (heck, even a secured MacOSX box) is far safer than a secured Windows box. case -in-point: microsoft has finally gotten around to patching up three major "critical" holes in Internet Explorer.. holes that have been known to them for atleast six months! when a hole is found in a linux distro, it's usually patched in a matter of days, hardly ever more than a week.
In response to digitalmouse
Was there ven a topic here or what? oh wait thats right some guy was just saying he had been hacked then 87326537860 other messages popped up lol

-Chance-
Jerico2day wrote:
They won't? I guess i don't *need* ease of use but i'm not lazy enough to keep my *WINDOWS* system unsecure...

You talk about me buying into the ms blater? I think you're buying into the linux propoganda, to think linux is impenetrable with viruses? or impenetrable from hackers?

Linux doesn't tend to have all these execute code remotely vulnerabilities like Windows tends to have. Buffer overruns a plenty. Of course, in the MS Blaster case, it really wasn't Microsft's fault. A patch had been available for a long time.

I'd be much more comfortable with a secured windows machine, instead of a secured linux machine, because i know itll be configured correctly, without having to have a degree or at the very least years of linux experience, which was the point i was trying to get at earlier

Why would you need a degree or years of linux experience? With the more popular distributions(eg RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake), it's secure out of the box. Comes with a firewall preconfigured for maximum security. With the user-based file permissions, etc in Linux, if someone ever DID download a virus the worst that could happen is that their personal home directory(sort of like My Documents in Windows) would be blown away. The rest of the computer would be fine. I know Windows XP has "User" accounts and "Administrator" accounts which are pretty much the same, but more damage can still be caused under a "User" account, and most people would use "Administrator" for all their surfing, browsing, etc(mainly because some programs and games refuse to run under a normal "User" account).

as for drivers, the point i was making... er..heres an example.. i have a wifi card, the driver didnt come preinstalled on either my xp install or my linux distro.. downloaded it for xp, installed it, xp took care of the rest by installing the specific driver that the installer unpacked, the linux version was a different story, and if you use linux youll know why, even the faq @ mandrake.com stated it's one of the most difficult aspects of linux, i tried to read the multiple page faq on how to do it...and to this day my linux distro is just taking up space on the 5gig partition of my laptop...i load it up to play the games that came with the distro...that's it:D

Linux has a problem with WiFi cards. The problem is that many WiFi manufacturers don't make Linux drivers for their cards. Lots don't even provide the documentation for anyone else to try and make a driver. Once you DO have a good driver, however, it's generally fairly easy to install.
First you might have to extract the driver from a .tgz file(similar to .zip). Then you may or may not need to compile the driver. Then just copy the driver into the /lib/modules directory and run "modprobe nameofdriver".
Sometimes all you have to do is run modprobe(the distribution may include the driver by default).
Most good hardware companies include a driver disk with drivers for a whole slew of different operating systems, and instructions on how to install them.
Call me stupid for not knowing how to install a linux driver, it might even be very intuitive for you, but when i can install a windows driver in 5 seconds, and cant install a linux driver after one hour, its pretty obvious which one wins in that field..

**after thinking about it, i realized you were talking about driver support, i meant installing (and finding) drivers
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Of course, in the MS Blaster case, it really wasn't Microsft's fault. A patch had been available for a long time.

I read somewhere (a newspaper, I think) that the patch was buggy, and it took Microsoft three tries to get it to work properly. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes an amusing story. =P
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
I read somewhere (a newspaper, I think) that the patch was buggy, and it took Microsoft three tries to get it to work properly. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes an amusing story. =P

I don't really like Microsoft or anything, but you can't laugh at them for that. I mean look how many games get up to 9 patches after they are shipped, it's only natural they will screw up from time to time.
In response to DarkView
But at least they don't take three patches to solve the SAME PROBLEM, and ONLY that problem. =P
In response to Crispy
Yes but think of how infinitely more complicated a low level operating system is!
In response to Exadv1
time kurt2 came into this....

Its hard to belive all this came from 'some one hacked my account' to 'windows is better then mac'

anyway, i dont have any fire walls, i think there a waste of space too. Anyway anyone who hacked into my computer, would find theres nothing to hack :/ anyway, i have windows 2000, burnt, my friend uses **** disks, it stuffed my pc, i cant run games, paint, word... I only have the internet left.

People say that mac computers are easyer to use, but i think windows are more powerful. litmus, or whatever its called, i havnt seen around, but people say its some what good. I still prefere windows.
In response to Kurt2
Kurt2 wrote:
Its hard to belive all this came from 'some one hacked my account' to 'windows is better then mac'

Macs? Who mentioned Macs? It was just an ordinary Microsoft-bashing session. =P

anyway, i dont have any fire walls, i think there a waste of space too.

I use a hardware firewall, that's built into my router. So I get the security benefits without sacrificing any RAM, CPU time, etc. AND I can still host BYOND games, because port forwarding is extremely easy to set up on my router. Nyahhh. =P

Anyway anyone who hacked into my computer, would find theres nothing to hack :/

On the other hand, there's nothing stopping them from using your internet connection to help launch co-ordinated attacks on other computers. (And guess who gets the blame? You guessed it; you do.)
Page: 1 2