ID:268228

How do I delete my damn key I dont know how to!?!?!?!?
As far as I know, you can't.
You can't. All you can do is just not use it any more. =)

You can "delete" it from Dream Seeker's configuration (so it won't log in with it any more until you retrieve it again), but the key will still exist. (Deleting key.txt will remove all of Dream Seeker's key information. You'll have to retrieve all the keys that you still want, though, assuming there are any.)
On that subject, could anyone enlighten me as to why one can't delete keys?
To free it up for other's to use one day. I have some keys that I don't use which I would like to free up. No one knows me on them, and I haven't used them in, like, forever. I've asked about key deletion before with no response.

~X
In response to Enigmaster2002
Possibly to guard against the possibility of impersonation and such. Although it would definitely be handy to be able to delete keys; maybe it could be possible if nobody has logged into it for 6-12 months or so?
In response to Crispy
6-12 months doesn't solve long vacations.

Also, if that person had dimes, they'd be lost too.

~~> Dragon Lord
In response to Unknown Person
What kinda crazy man could survive that long without BYOND's chocolately goodness?

If I had to spend any more than a week without a computer to play games/code, I'd have to go steal one.
In response to Xooxer
It seems to be impossible to delete a key. Though, if you want, you can give it to your friend or something, just change the password and tell him the new one. That will do it. Technically then, its being put into good use if you wont.
Preventing fraud/impersonation is the best answer. If they do ever add key deleting, I would strongly, strongly, strongly recommend that they have a period of time after an account is deleted before the name is actually "freed up"... 3 months or even 6 or 12 months would not be too long, in my mind. Look at how many people make lookalike keys just to be cute or clever as it is.

Actually, at the end of the day, I would just not recommend they allow key deleting. There's just too many bad scenarios that could come out of it.
Enigmaster2002 wrote:
What kinda crazy man could survive that long without BYOND's chocolately goodness?

A person with a life out of computers.

If I had to spend any more than a week without a computer to play games/code, I'd have to go steal one.

Well, that's you. ^_^'

~~> Dragon Lord
sorry to go off topic but can we reformat keys?
In response to The Black Dragon
Do you even know what reformat means?
In response to Hedgemistress
True, but they could make a huge thing to make sure the person wants to delete thier key, for example, heres a procedure
1) Make them enter key name, password, and email.
2) Send email confermation
3) Make them input a number if confirmed.
4) Make them confirm in email AGAIN
5) Input anthother number if confirmed.
6) Repeat again.
7) Wait a month before deleteing key, just incase they were frawed.
8A) If they log in with the key during that peroid, make DS say every 10 seconds, Your key will be deleted in X days, X hours, and X minutes.
8B) If you dont want to do 8A, do this: If they log on with the key while in the month period, end the period and make the person do it again, if they really want it to be done.
In response to Garthor
Maybe not reformat, but in AOL Instant Messenger there's an option called Format Screen Name which lets you change the capitalization and spacing in your name, but not really change the spelling. Maybe he meant something like that for keynames. Keynames do consider variations of capitalization of a same word (Word, WORD) to be the same, right?