ID:268382

Rather than assuming this is a coding problem, I'm curious as to if BYOND has a limit to the number of objs which can exist outside of the players at one time.

For example: Sometimes during games in my game (Duel Monsters Expert) all of the cards will suddenly vanish, but when players use the Surrender verb (which returns all of the cards in view to their respective owners), some of them return to the Deck. This usually happens after a card is put into play outside of the usr, or completely random.

If you need to see any chunks of the code to better locate the problem, just ask. Thank you for reading.
Devourer Of Souls wrote:
Rather than assuming this is a coding problem, I'm curious as to if BYOND has a limit to the number of objs which can exist outside of the players at one time.

I doubt you would reach any such limits with a card game. I have put hundreds of objects on the player's screen before. However, there is an overall limit to the total number of objects in the world, and that is approximately 65,000.

The problem is probably with the code.
In response to Loduwijk
BYOND has no obj limit, I've had people build abzillion objs in my game and it can lag if there are hundreds and you right click but other than that, there isn't a reachable pyshical limit, just a server strain
In response to Wizkidd0123
That is incorrect, as there is a limit. As I said, it is approximately 65,000. Make a test environment and put in the following code, then try it out.
client/verb/test()
var/list/L=list()
for(var/index=1 to 70000)
L+=new/obj

If you run that verb, you will get an error stating that you have exceeded the limit.