ID:275855

-People call each other noob. It's not even an insult anymore.
-People are insulted by noob.
-Immaturity(Swearing, name calling, etc.)
-Amount of lag.
-Stupid hosts, who ban you for calling thier friend a "noob".
-Zeta rips.(Nothing is wrong with DBZ Games, just rips.)
-Hacking/fake hack threats.
-Key stealing

You know what? There's no way to stop this. BYOND is dead in what I estimate about 7 years.

Why did I post this if you know it? No reason why.
Shutup you stupid noob, goto hell, LAG, im gunna ban you, after I make a zeta rip, then ill hack you, and steal your key.
Merciless Warrior wrote:

New game rule. Calling someone "noob" is a ban-able offense.

New game rule. Being insulted by being called "noob" is a ban-able offense.

New game rule. Swearing is a ban-able offense.

-Amount of lag.

Get a better host. :P

They're supposed to. Calling someone "noob" is a ban-able offense.

Stay out of the unpublished section. :P

Ignore them. This place is full of morons who make stupid threats. And don't be a moron and accept e-mail attachments from them after they do.

-Key stealing

Don't give out your password, don't let friends use your key, and don't log in anywhere that isn't from a secure.dantom.com sever.

Seriously though, each game has its own crowd. Maybe you should find some different games.
Merciless Warrior wrote:

Than why is it a problem if it isn't an insult?

I'm confused here. Didn't you just say it's not an insult?

This can be dealt with by admins(if there are some) and if it's not, ignore it or leave. It obviously isn't a good place to be if it attracts immature people.

-Amount of lag.

Uhhh, this is a problem on the part of hosts, not BYOND(or bad coding(still not a problem of BYOND))

Than why play that game?

Yes.

If it's fake why bother with it?

-Key stealing

Does this happen much? I wouldn't know.

You know what? There's no way to stop this. BYOND is dead in what I estimate about 7 years.

Pretty specific.

Why did I post this if you know it? No reason why.

I don't see your problems being much of a problem with BYOND.. sure they make it a bit unattractive but just leave whatever place has it.
In response to Foomer
To make a long story short, good games, stupid players.
In response to Merciless Warrior
Ban them :P

Or better yet, advertise outside the BYOND community, instead of through the BYOND community.
In response to Jermman
As... Sarcastic as this was meant to be... I don't think many are going to interpret this as such. (You should have mentioned hosting the zeta rip on your 56k. ;P)
Merciless Warrior wrote:

Have you ever looked at the other game development kits out therer? Maybe you should read The BYONDscape mission statement. I don't think I can say it as well as the article does. However, let me explain:

The average game development kit sucks. It allows you to change your goblin's name, his strength, and even (only in the "advanced" ones!) his sprite! And that's it. No game development kit even comes close to the capabilities of DM. Additionally, most game development kits and their communities are completely dead. BYOND, on the other hand, is alive and well.

Do you know how thankful some of those dead ones would be to have even a zeta rip? No? Well, if you stay on BYOND, you won't have to find out.

That's why BYOND won't die in 7 years: excluding programming languages such as C++, it's the best one out there.
BYOND is evolving. Most of the people that use the internet in general are morons.

For the most part, the developers are a steady crowd of nice people. How often do you see someone being called "noob" on the forums?

Secondly, if it's not an insult, why is it a problem? If it's said intending to insult someone, then it's an insult.

Game creators can ban people for whatever reason they want, get over it and try not to make them mad.

Rips are slowing down. Feel lucky you weren't here when they were really bad. (And not filtered from the hub.)

Hacking doesn't happen that often, and hacking isn't unique to the BYOND portion of the internet.

Key stealing is a product of stupidity.

Though BYOND isn't quite perfect, it isn't all that laggy. Usually the hosts themselves are the problem.

BYOND isn't widespread hated across the internet because of this reason. Other game creation communities laugh at it because of it's "Poor graphical capabilities". A game doesn't need to have particle effects to be good.

I'd be proud if BYOND lasted another seven years, how many game creation programs remain free and populated for five years, nonetheless seven, or thirteen?

I think Megazeux is the only community that stuck around for any length of time. RPGMaker communities get bloated and die pretty quickly, I know, as I've been there for the birth and death of a few of them.

Now then, as for BYOND, this place has some of the smartest people I've ever met, and few of the dumbest. This community is great, and does need a few morons to be kicked out of it, but it's going pretty well so far. If only some people would help support Dantom.

They're doing all of this for us with money out of their own pockets.

Here's why I like BYOND:

- It's not really graphically advanced, meaning most people who can't program don't stick around.

- It's free and aims to stay that way.

- There is a large community of intelligent, mature people who can spell properly.

- It allows people to program and host their own online game, something I'd wanted to do since I was young.

- Trolls are taken care of, and not left to ruin the experience for everyone else.

- Original games. (There aren't a lot, but you just have to dig around the hub.)
Just stay away from those communities, not all BYOND communities are like that.

BYOND is just getting better. It won't be chuck full of these annoying communities forevor.
Don't forget how rude everyone is, and how everyone above you treats you like you're worthless and useless.

Then all of the trolls, (Some think me, but screw them. :P) Mertek, garthor, plenty of others. Oh, not to name names...wait, nevermind. :P
In response to Wizkidd0123
Yeah, it won't die. Everyone will just leave. >.>
In response to Kaga-Kami
Funny how things work, isn't it?
In response to Wizkidd0123
Heh, Guggems found the same link page leading to DUNG I did! I just wish I'd have actually entered the link. The links on that page were: OHRRPGCE, DUNG, and RPG Toolkit. I wish I'd have followed the DUNG link rather than the OHRRPGCE...
In response to Kunark
No, not at all.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Heh, Guggems found the same link page leading to DUNG I did! I just wish I'd have actually entered the link. The links on that page were: OHRRPGCE, DUNG, and RPG Toolkit. I wish I'd have followed the DUNG link rather than the OHRRPGCE...

....I've used OHRRPGCE...that's how I came to Byond and icon work. >.>
BYOND isn't a community it's a programming language and thus none of the issues are even applicable :P.
In response to Artekia
I think opinions could be a problem too. Or how someone interperets what someone else is saying. That's most likely why there is all of the fighting, people believe in one thing and then try to force it down on someone else. Multiply this by how many people are on byond, and you see why there are so many problems. :P

See how many people decided to post to warrior here and declare what they thought by answering his posts in a qoute? That's what i'm talking about.
In response to Kaga-Kami
I've used almost everything out there, Java, C, C++, VB, QB, Python, Ruby, RPG Maker 95, 2000, 2003, and XP, RPG Toolkit, Hephaestus, Clickplay, OHRRPGCE, RPG Toolkit 2, Fury, Fury 2, Game Maker, TNGF, Verge engine, Verge Engine 2, the demo to Acid Pulse, DCGames, Megazeux, ZZT, AGCS, and innumerable other languages/tools. Most of them I got into for less than a month each, while trying to find out what they are capable of. BYOND is the best, easiest, and most advanced. (Save C++, but that'll change. ;P (kidding))
In response to Theodis
There is such a thing as the BYOND community... I think that's what he was pointing out. A lot of people hate utilities and languages because of the community of people that seem to grow up around them.
Page: 1 2 3 4