ID:265488

So, I type this while I'm patching up W3 (Warcraft 3).

Anyways, Nadold is a mystical town set on the side of one of the world's biggest continent, Norsem. It's a small town surrounded by vast forests, and enchanting lakes which can daze the viewer into an ever-lasting dream.

Well, anyways, enough of the cheesy story crud. You'd be able to be a hunter, a magician, a farmer, a miner, a fisherman, or just about anything. The catch is, you have to work together with the rest of the members of the village to live. Except for magicians, villagers should fear them (and want to kill them).

The game will have a permadeath battlesystem, so going out to hunt is not ideal. Although going on a hunt and bringing back a unicorn could feed the whole village for weeks (game weeks) and give you some nice unicorn fur to make clothes out of. Or, it could just kill your friend (or the whole village, for that matter).

It's either you rely on the hunters, or the farmers/fishermen. They get their food easily, but it won't really feed them much. Fishermen have the chance of getting things such as mermaids and treasure chests during their fishing, but rarely.

The miners, on the other hand will get the escential metals and ore to build spears, knives, daggers, arrows, hammers, pickaxes, and even swords. Miners can come across gold and make a huge profit out of it, so mining is very proftiable. Except, miners have the chance of the mine caving in, or a vampire bat coming to "thuck their bluuuth". If the mine caves in, you're screwed unless you built yourself a ladder to the surface.

The carpenters, they'd probably want to go along with hunters when they go on their food hunts. The carpenters supply the wood, and use it to make houses, chairs, tables, and many other things for the village. But, the thing that sucks is: If the carpents mow down all the trees in the area, the farmers are out of seeds, and the hunters have killed every animal in the forest...you'll have to move and make a new town. Of course, you could start a new village before that, but it'd be kind of hard with no people.

The magicians, they're very lonely people, who have their own little town, Kelston. They live there, learning to only accept eachother. Magicians learn spells, but it's very hard to do. They must adventure into forests, and collect parts of magical animals, such as the horn of a unicorn, the fang of a vampire, or a scale of a dragon. Combining different magical ingredients will create different spells. Magicians can also brew up potions for use in battle, such as a "pepper potion" to blind the enemy, or a "smoke potion" to smoke up the area for an escape.

Yeah, more to come soon.
YES. A game where economy is the main way of playing.
PLEASE GOD YES.

But don't put too much emphasis on having a flashy battle system, and PvP should only be by consent of both players, duel style (no different from normal combat, but with a countdown or something).
Work on all forms of economy from the outset. First, basic systems of all of them, then add a bit to one, then a new feature for another, so that however you want to play, you can do it straight away (IAPAID...RI).
That sounds very interesting, and I wish to play it if you decide to create it. Sounds very interesting...very!
In response to Hazman
Well, I wanted to make the battlesystem different, so I'm planning on making it Morrowind-ish with Loduwjik's Keystate. The only way I want to make it possible to kill someone, is if they're a possible threat (like a magician). Like, say, a magician could be attempting to take over a small town with fire magic, and accidently start a forest fire. Thus, he kills himself and the small town.
Sounds very interesting. Of course, the trick for such projects is making it work; it seems from these notes that you're not attempting to tie it to a strictly closed economy system, nor tying it to absolute realism, both of which limitations would make the task harder. One point of advice I'd have would be to avoid binding players together too tightly into a single community; make sure that given a reasonable amount of effort players can feasibly branch out and set up their own sub-settlements. Players should be encouraged (even almost required) to cooperate to at least some degree, but not necessarily cooperate with everybody all the time. Isolation is one of the best defenses against grief players, and I think you'd have an easier time letting smaller groups of players band together and run their own concerns rather than trying to have everybody belong to one communal settlement.
In response to Leftley
you'll have to move and make a new town. Of course, you could start a new village before that, but it'd be kind of hard with no people.

Yeah, you probably missed it though, seeing as I was rambling and all...
In response to Hazman
Hazman wrote:
PLEASE GOD YES.

But don't put too much emphasis on having a flashy battle system, and PvP should only be by consent of both players, duel style (no different from normal combat, but with a countdown or something).

Yeah, great. Another Runescape. Gag me with a spoon!
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
Hazman wrote:
PLEASE GOD YES.

Yeah, great. Another Runescape. Gag me with a spoon!

*gets the big wooden spoon and shoves it down PH's throat*

Done :D
In response to Echtolion
Obviously I didn't mean ' like Runescape, which we all know and love'. Runescape has flaws. Lots of them. I don't get why it's so popular. I was going to find out, so I subscribed a new account, went to log onto a server and WHOOPS! before I've even logged onto a game their stupid server select page has crashed Firefox! Great! Now I remember why I hate it.
Runescape needs more player cooperation. There is no real feeling of community - the whole playerbase is powergaming. What you need is a system where players have a 'sociality' level. As players do more sociable things, it builds up. Sociable things include charging less for stuff, making friends, helping people out etc.
I needs to be like a positive x-squared graph (can't think of the word) - as x becomes higher, x squared becomes exponentially higher. A sociable player builds up their sociality level faster than a new person, who needs to 'prove' himself as trustworthy.
However, a player who takes advantage of other people loses this sociality level, thus losing, or even reversing, any benefits you decide to give to sociable people.
In response to Hazman
Yeah, and let the annoyingly-friendly happy, smiley guy powerlevel to level 2 million.

I can imagine if that caught on it'd get pretty annoying.

Pwr-gamr01264: HI
Joe Newbie: Hello!
Pwr-gamr01264: ^_^ =) FRIENDS LETS BE FRIENDS!!!!
Joe Newbie: Um, okay, I guess! :)
Pwr-gamr01264: OMG I LOVE YOU MARRY ME!!!
Joe Newbie: Woah! Get away from me!
*Pwr-gamr01264 has gained a level!*

:P
In response to Hazman
That goes completely against one of my primary gaming rules: synthesizing and quantifying roleplay. A community should be built on real interaction between players, not by forced interaction by the game. Forum trolls are often motivated by their post number rather than by their actual contributions to the community. Newsflash: If you count your posts, you are probably part forum troll. I have no clue what my count is (or how I'd find it), nor do I care. Forcing social interaction makes worse players play your game - *allowing* and *encouraging* social interaction, without making it a part of programmed gameplay, is what attracts good players and makes a game fun and memorable.

Anybody who played Ensya knows pretty much what I mean. It was 90% community, 10% gameplay, and it is still one of the most memorable games for me on BYOND.
Sounds pretty great. It'd be good to have a game on BYOND that you have to rely on other players to form a community. Survival was a pretty good game, although a single player could amass tons of resources and just build his own huge castle by himself. Or become a powerful bandit killing whoever he wishes (me >_>).
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
I have no clue what my count is (or how I'd find it)

'Found ~200 matches for author:piratehead'

There, now you are part troll :P

Though I'm guessing if you remember Ensya, it was under older keys :)