ID:260538

(Well, if this is already possible, I'm gonna look like an idiot, but that's a risk of suggestion...)

Anyways, it'd be cool if it would be possible to look at two different sections of the code, or two different files side by side in the window. Right now, you could only obtain a similar effect by opening the two code files externally and then resizing the windows so that they're roughly next to eachother and then clicking back and forth.

Anyways, I think two frames would be great, for bug finding, and when you need two parts of code that belong in two different sections to work closely together. (Such as a mob and a turf or something like that) Flipping back and forth is annoying.

Anyways, just throwing the idea out there. Sorry if it's an old one or anything.
I don't think all of the Top Benefactors agree with you. :)
In response to Flame Sage
Well, if they want to reply, that'd be great.
In response to Chessmaster_19

What they should have is little tabs along the top of the screen of every file you have open.
I agree because sometimes you need to reference another part of the code to properly code whatever new thing your making.
In response to Obs
That idea...Is great.
In response to Obs
You already have your files on the left side, so there isn't much point in having them on the top too.
In response to Obs
That's called an MDI -- multiple document interface -- and has been discussed before. Short of a somewhat-extensive rewrite of Dream Maker's front end, that probably won't happen any time soon. You can, however, use the Window menu to select any of the open files.
I'd rather a vertical splitter if the truth be told.
I agree. If it's not done in regular BYOND, perhaps it can be done in the DMIDE Crashed is making. *points in Crashed's general direction*
Meh, multiple windows aren't terribly useful.

What would be really nice is automatic code completion, and being able to see variables as you are typing a datatype.

But I didn't mention that because it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. Multiple windows is more likely.
In response to Obs
Maybe something like a window that follows you down as you scroll it. You could put notes in it, it wouldn't actually compile, but it would be a separate pane I guess. You could use it to hold random code snippets that are widely used.
I like the idea of having two text windows open at once to do editing. It's annoying to flip back and forth between code. Seeing two code files at once would make things a lot easier.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
I agree. If it's not done in regular BYOND, perhaps it can be done in the DMIDE Crashed is making. *points in Crashed's general direction*

I wish he would hurry up and release it, Linux users need a good IDE.
In response to Tiberath
That was my original thought, but the horizontal one actually looked a little better. But it probably depends on screen resolution and size, ect. Either would be cool
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
Meh, multiple windows aren't terribly useful.

What would be really nice is automatic code completion, and being able to see variables as you are typing a datatype.

But I didn't mention that because it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. Multiple windows is more likely.

Well, to your first comment, I would say that they would be "terribly useful" to some people. Maybe you're not that kind of coder that would use one, but I believe that many people would. Here's an easy example: Topic() procs and Browser interface.
Both the form you're designing and the Topic() proc need to be closely related. You need the Topic() proc to directly parallel the form, yet the two are rarely placed near each other in the code (Since a Topic() like atom, client, or mob is probably used many different ways) so currently, alot of switching back and forth is often needed. To be able to simultaneosly view the two procedures would be amazing, at least in my opinion.

In response to Kaioken
True, and the top part wasn't really a part of the original suggestion, but it would help make easier access to the specific files you're dealing with, and not have to look for the right file out of a fairly lengthly list of code, icons, maps, scripts, ect. Don't get me wrong, everything is sorted quite well in the project, but it's still a little slow, and I often have to pause to remember exactly what file the code I was just working on was in.
In response to Chessmaster_19
You shouldn't have to view the code of two procs at the same time. They should be independent. You only care about inputs and outputs.
I often open a notepad and toss something into it to refer to while working elsewhere. It works pretty well for me since DM doesn't have MDI. I'd probably still do it even with MDI because I can stick a lot of proc declarations in a notepad window. I don't often work on 2 sections of code at 1 time but sometimes I do and MDI would help there.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
You shouldn't have to view the code of two procs at the same time. They should be independent. You only care about inputs and outputs.

I work with separate pieces of code all the time.

My structure says my mob variables and what not are in one file, ny NPC's and their stuff is in another, my interface code is in a third, general world procs are in a fourth and client control is in a fifth. I'm constantly bouncing back and fourth between one, two even three or more blocks of code at once.

The bigger projects get, the more organised they need to be. Organisation is more important than ease of editing, you can't edit a proc if you can't find it. Personally, having a vertical splitter to view two or more segments of code at once would be very handy.
Page: 1 2