...then

*XXXX
X*XXX

...and so on.
if we can place horizontal/vertical, why not diagnal? o.o
uhhhhhh what?
With what? Add? Fill?

For adding, it will just be sloppy.
For filling, diagonals mean a bigger square area.
If you mean a Line tool, that would be a welcome feature and I believe it has been suggested before.

The DMM format is open, so it's possible to write an external editor with all of these features, but BYOND still lacks the API to allow an external program to check all of the existing types (and/or get icons) from the code, short of parsing the DM files manually.
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
If you mean a Line tool, that would be a welcome feature and I believe it has been suggested before.

The DMM format is open, so it's possible to write an external editor with all of these features, but BYOND still lacks the API to allow an external program to check all of the existing types (and/or get icons) from the code, short of parsing the DM files manually.
yeah, a line feature.

it'd help because i have a puzzle game in the making and it's annoying clicking each part, when if i want to do straight lines i can just use full x-x
In response to Eternal Desire
It would be nice, but ultimately implementing this means you are taking time away from the implementation of other more useful and important things.

So forget it.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
taking time away from the implementation of other more useful and important things.

more usefull things then a competent map builder? even the rpg maker map builder is 10x more robust then the byond one. I see no reason that byond's map maker shouldnt have the same features as MS Paint
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
more usefull things then a competent map builder? even the rpg maker map builder is 10x more robust then the byond one.

Are you sure you know what "robustness" is? You've probably meant "flexible" here.
Anyway, sure, Dream Maker's map editor isn't perfect, but I'd consider it pretty competent already. There are no major issues with it.

I see no reason that byond's map maker shouldnt have the same features as MS Paint

For one, Paint is a drawing (image editing) program, and is entirely different from a map maker.

Anyway, what Obs was basically implying is that while this would be a nice feature, it isn't very needed or important and therefore should be no a lower priority than other features.
In response to Falacy
People have been making maps for hundreds of years without this feature, I'm sure they will last several hundred years more.

I'd rather see other stuff get implemented, like a setting for move-animations disabled for a client's own mob, while not affecting the animation effect for other players viewing the mob.
In response to Obs
Couldn't you make that mob invisible and attach an image to it that can be seen by everyone in the world except for the mob's client? You would have to manually change it's icon state, etc.
In response to Obs
But then we still have to be tortured to freaking DEATH when we make:

(O = wall, x = ground)

OOOOOOO
OOxxxxO
OxOxxxO
OxxOxxO
OxxxOxO
OxxxxOO
OOOOOOO

Diagonal lines.
In response to Obs
I'm with Falacy and Eternal Desire here, actually. (Never thought I'd see the day. ;-)) A ellipse tool, a line tool, a flood tool, and various brush sizes would all be excellent features for the map editor that could be taken advantage of by competent level designers. It's not a critical feature, but it's very useful; ostensibly more useful than a lot of the esoteric features that are being slipped in on the back end.

I can give a list of less generally-useful features that people might like too, of course. For instance, a "pick" tool which allows you to draw across the map, placing objects randomly; each tile drawn across would choose a random object from the "pick box", with weighting specified in the editor, and place a copy in that tile. The box would also have a "blank" object with user-specifiable weighting in order to allow no object to be chosen for some tiles. The map designer could drag-and-drop objects from the object tree (and/or the Object pane) into the pick box in order to add them to the pick tool's list, then right-click on the object in the pick box to modify the instance data.

This was a beautiful feature in PUDDraft (or was it War2xed?) that I used all the time, although PUDDraft's was tuned specifically to Warcraft II and so it wasn't as customisable.
In response to Kakashi24142
Yes, I suppose there could be some mediocre work around that will be more trouble than it would be worth.
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
I'm with Falacy and Eternal Desire here, actually. (Never thought I'd see the day. ;-)) A ellipse tool, a line tool, a flood tool, and various brush sizes would all be excellent features for the map editor that could be taken advantage of by competent level designers. It's not a critical feature, but it's very useful; ostensibly more useful than a lot of the esoteric features that are being slipped in on the back end.

I can give a list of less generally-useful features that people might like too, of course. For instance, a "pick" tool which allows you to draw across the map, placing objects randomly; each tile drawn across would choose a random object from the "pick box", with weighting specified in the editor, and place a copy in that tile. The box would also have a "blank" object with user-specifiable weighting in order to allow no object to be chosen for some tiles. The map designer could drag-and-drop objects from the object tree (and/or the Object pane) into the pick box in order to add them to the pick tool's list, then right-click on the object in the pick box to modify the instance data.

This was a beautiful feature in PUDDraft (or was it War2xed?) that I used all the time, although PUDDraft's was tuned specifically to Warcraft II and so it wasn't as customisable.

These tools would be great if map making was perfectly analogous to drawing a picture. But it isn't. Good map making usually means the map maker gives consideration to every tile individually, rather than just using mass tools.

And for other stuff like randomized terrain, that's all better done in code.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Are you sure you know what "robustness" is? You've probably meant "flexible" here.

im just gona go ahead and flip that at you, maybe even say you dont know what either of those words mean

For one, Paint is a drawing (image editing) program, and is entirely different from a map maker.

Yea no, theyre almost exactly the same. Look at the rpg maker map maker, it has fill, draws circles, lines rectangles, Pretty much everything MS Paint can do. Even the map maker i made for gold guardians has line and fill tools.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
Yes, I suppose there could be some mediocre work around that will be more trouble than it would be worth.

So, in other words, your reasoning for why you want it is exactly the same as their reasoning for why they want that.

As their request is more likely to be used by more people, I think theirs has higher priority, no?
In response to Jamesburrow
No, because their result doesn't inherently make a BYOND game better.
In response to Obs
Neither does yours. The same end can be achieved with or without the BYOND addition in both scenarios. Just requires more work on the developer.

And FYI, the fact you can think of another feature you want is no reason another feature shouldn't be added.
In response to Jamesburrow
The comparison between the two features was to show the line drawing feature has no merit.
In response to Obs
Except, it does have merit.
There is more than one reason to add it, no reasons not to add it.
Page: 1 2