ID:260920

Actually I like the new design that Byond Staff Team are working on, but after read some new's updates I didn't like the change at all:

- Fan Games won't be shown (No offense, but almost 80% Games on BYOND are Fan Games, the - games - that BYOND considers original are dead or never played).

- RIP Games won't be shown on HUB (I remember bad old times, where the Search Button didn't show any game not published by a Byond Member, I was happy sometime ago because they were shown now. If people wrote a lot of comments on BYOND FrontPage's Thread just for get more people, why do we have to hide again the Games that are always played? A new player won't be putting on the Search Options (Show Un-Published Game, ect) like what we did before.

No offense, I like the Updates, they're cool, but I think it's not fair for BYOND Community removing again the Non-Published Games or RIP Games from Search, basically we all RIP'ed ideas, sprites, or just the game options from other games. BYOND had a lot of Pokemon Games Published on HUB (Pokemon Centire Online), will we hide those games now?

Please, before changing the Site again, make sure the actual community like the updates. Thank you.
Eternal_Memories wrote:
No offense, I like the Updates, they're cool, but I think it's not fair for BYOND Community removing again the Non-Published Games or RIP Games from Search, basically we all RIP'ed ideas, sprites, or just the game options from other games. BYOND had a lot of Pokemon Games Published on HUB (Pokemon Centire Online), will we hide those games now?

I also would like some clearing up on this. Will games based off of an actual game franchise (Pokemon, Final Fantasy, etc.) be included in the BYOND Staff's definition of "fan games?" Truthfully I would like to keep these games featured since we have some pretty good ones on here that fly under the radar at times.
In response to Mega fart cannon
Even if your game isn't a rip, it won't be featured if it is a fan-game

(From: http://www.byond.com/members/ Journalism?command=view_post&post=106440)

Yes, I'm sure they mean the Pokemon / Dragon Ball / any Anime or Game already make for gameboy, playstation, or anything as fan-game.

This sounds even worse than what it sounded before for non-byond members hearing: "Non Byond Member's Games won't appear on HUB".

Now this message'll probably appear: "You need an original 100% game, with original features, and you also must play $18 for being shown in HUB, and somedays for being approval".

...that's sounds sad x,x

Also:

# To cull out the "rip" problem plaguing BYOND, only Members are allowed to submit their hub entries for search & listing, and those in turn must be approved.

In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
Even if your game isn't a rip, it won't be featured if it is a fan-game

(From: http://www.byond.com/members/ Journalism?command=view_post&post=106440)

Yes, I'm sure they mean the Pokemon / Dragon Ball / any Anime or Game already make for gameboy, playstation, or anything as fan-game.

This sounds even worse than what it sounded before for non-byond members hearing: "Non Byond Member's Games won't appear on HUB".

Now this message'll probably appear: "You need an original 100% game, with original features, and you also must play $18 for being shown in HUB, and somedays for being approval".

...that's sounds sad x,x

Also:

# To cull out the "rip" problem plaguing BYOND, only Members are allowed to submit their hub entries for search & listing, and those in turn must be approved.

Although this stuff is already clear, I am supposed to have some other interview with Tom to go over these site changes for people that don't read the BYOND news or topics regarding the changes and what not. Things like this will be readdressed.
Well, that sucks. I'm nearly finishing work (solo project, yo) on a from-scratch Dragon Ball game. And I've lost my membership on my other account a long time ago.

Ungh.
Fan games will still be listed on the hub, they just wont be "featured." Currently listed fan games will also retain their hub entries, it's just that original games will just be listed first.

As for rips, they've always been filtered to some extent. According to a post by Tom not too long ago, pretty much every decent game on BYOND has been published by someone with a Member account. Taking that into consideration, only Members will be able to submit their games to be listed. Rips and generally bad games will still have hub entries, they just wont be listed at all.
In response to Emasym
Emasym wrote:
Well, that sucks. I'm nearly finishing work (solo project, yo) on a from-scratch Dragon Ball game. And I've lost my membership on my other account a long time ago.

Ungh.
I believe you can still get a Member to submit your Hub for approval.
In response to SuperAntx
Many good games have been made by non-members.. Even some fangames, like I do believe one of the bleach games, los noches or something popular was began by a non-member, before they went member... However I kind of feel they are right about the rips, not even right, its really kind of justified. Fan-games, ehh not so much, besides, once again bleach pops up, one of its fan games, los noches or something to that effect, is one of the most famous games on byond, note that I cannot see the hub atm, and I can only remember what ive seen a month ago. But fan games are played more than Byond origanals, because people feel more comfortable with storylines that they know.

On another note, I need some mental help...
In response to Thelavaking
So if I make a game based off Taekwondo... is it a fan-game?
In response to Ganing
Ganing wrote:
So if I make a game based off Taekwondo... is it a fan-game?

:D Yeaaah it is...:P
Jokink ! XD
In response to RaZz84
Well......i`m working to a strange ARPG ! Featuring a world map with cities , mobs (as most rpg) ! The problem is that in the end....the gameplay(actual fighting) , seems to be close to a little fighter 2 and grand chase... crossed with a...mount and blade(i guess....).Next week i need to mail to some of the guys , witch modded lf2 , and ask permision for using their work (with some modifications...).
(JOKE :Question (XD) , my game will be considered a LF2 fangame ? XD)
I 'could' use their work without asking them but ....,no offense , it`s not right ( i would make a hell of a problem to those who used my work without my consent...and i think lots of you would do the same...) ! Plus RIP games may provide troubles to sites witch hosts them (and to the creators of the RIP)so i understand this !
As for fangames : guys , don`t name your games "NARUTO xxyyxxy" name them "NINJA PANTIS" or something....That should solve some of the problems...(naruto it`s copyrighted , but not ninjas and their pantis .) :P :P :P :P

WE LOVE GOOD FANGAMES !
In response to RaZz84
I... don't even know what I just read.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
Neither us , but.....Erm...HAPPY NEW YEARS ? XD
Eternal_Memories wrote:
... basically we all RIP'ed ideas, sprites, or just the game options from other games. BYOND had a lot of Pokemon Games Published on HUB (Pokemon Centire Online), will we hide those games now?

I'm pretty sure every single game ACWraith has made is not ripped. Or Casual Quest, that seems rather original. You can't just put these definitive, open-ended statements up here. There is nothing wrong with being influenced by a game - for example, my game's combat system is stemming from the way Legend of Zelda did their combat system. However, I'm adding to it, making it a bit more my own. Does that mean it's a Legend of Zelda fangame? Not really. Influence is fine, but it's when you actually take the entire story, gameplay, concept, etc. and make that entirely your game that I would claim a fangame and/or rip. As far as sprites - I'm pretty sure I can name quite a few games with original icons (Decadance?), so I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about there. The majority of games use un-original icons, but you can't discount the fact that the quality games on BYOND tend not to. Lastly your game options claim - this is such an open ended topic, I don't know even what you are referring to. Maybe you can clarify how every game "RIP[s] game options from other games."
In response to RaZz84
RaZz84 wrote:
.... (utter [dung])

To the point I understood you post, I can say that there wont be a problem if the gameplay is similar to lf2 or grand chase or just about any other game. But if the general story and idea is taken from something like Naruto, then it's taken as a fangame... Hope that helped you out... It didn't help me... Happy 2011 (Well in 6 hours but who gives a flying [deleted])
In response to Syntty
4hours and 30 min`s.Well ...yeah , i think . What i meant to say is that , as long as you get permision from the creator of the game/universe (naruto/bleach....) then your game should be out of the threat " out with fangame/RIP game".

How i said , i think they try to "get out"-so to say- the fangames/rips because of copyrights issues...`Cause think a little...lots of RPGs are made of the formula D&D .That means they are d&d fangames , right (but without a copyright issue)?
In response to RaZz84
Let's not be pedantic now.
In response to Stephen001
XD ! Tryed to help ! I think......Should i try to confuse ? :P
In response to RaZz84
You (much like BYOND) has to be pragmatic about these things. BYOND wants to be home to the next N+, Minecraft, Iji etc. What it has mostly at the moment is fan-games, games made by fans of a given TV / game / Anime series, which in a lot of cases are pretty well BYOND ports of such series.

The change only really brings BYOND in line with the policies of similar content distributors. Kongregate for instance is unlikely to feature such fan-games smack bang centre of their site, even if they allow them. BYOND is doing much the same.
In response to Stephen001
I did not said i like this thing , just that i understand the BYOND team.......
And again fangames are great things , they show how appreciate is a movie/game/manga/anime/etc...

PS :
But i think this started from too muck RIPping left and right ,so, they said : " we can`t stop ripped and copyR games but we won`t publicitize (think that`s the english word...?) these games ".
And again i say : WE LOVE GOOD FANGAMES ( but can`t at least modify the RIPs ? seriously! and mybee asy the copyR-er if you can do it ?-lame chances ,i know...)

PS2:
The advantages ( even if small as fleas) is that will allow to see new games/storyes/graphs/etc...(mybee)
The desadvantages ( big as the dog who has fleas...) is that we`ll see damn few games (whitch may be original ...but probably damn lame story/graphs/etc....:/ ).....:(
Page: 1 2