In response to RaZz84
RaZz84 wrote:
I did not said i like this thing , just that i understand the BYOND team.......
And again fangames are great things , they show how appreciate is a movie/game/manga/anime/etc...

PS :
But i think this started from too muck RIPping left and right ,so, they said : " we can`t stop ripped and copyR games but we won`t publicitize (think that`s the english word...?) these games ".
And again i say : WE LOVE GOOD FANGAMES ( but can`t at least modify the RIPs ? seriously! and mybee asy the copyR-er if you can do it ?-lame chances ,i know...)

PS2:
The advantages ( even if small as fleas) is that will allow to see new games/storyes/graphs/etc...(mybee)
The desadvantages ( big as the dog who has fleas...) is that we`ll see damn few games (whitch may be original ...but probably damn lame story/graphs/etc....:/ ).....:(

What in the heck are you talking about. o_O
In response to RaZz84
Fan-games are no more or less "great" conceptually than any other fan-work, like AMVs or fan-fictions. Some creators/publishers (Bandai in particular come to mind) actually really don't like these works. Hence BYOND has had to forward copyright notices to game creators in the past.

Even if you put "ripping" to one side, there's a pretty major bias in our current listings. Importantly, you can continue to love good fan-games, they'll still be there.

You're correct with the advantages, there's no maybe about it though. As they've got the test site running, they've been able to see the effect the changes have on visibility for these more creative games with novel storylines. The effect is good, basically, very good.

Your disadvantage isn't really true, though. You'll still see those games, you just won't see them by default. Or put simply, you'll need to look for them a little. Just like you would with flash games, new console and PC games would wanted to buy etc. As most of the fan-games are actually promoted by personal recommendation (a guy tells another guy about a cool new fan-game), this isn't such a bad thing.
In response to Stephen001
Hence BYOND has had to forward copyright notices

Can you name games/people that this has happened to? I'm just interested.
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:
Hence BYOND has had to forward copyright notices

Can you name games/people that this has happened to? I'm just interested.

DMU (Duel Monsters Unlimited) got a C&D from Konami, iirc
In response to DarkCampainger
Wow...Konami was just jealous that a way better game could be made with their icons.
In response to DarkCampainger
Funny that it got remade. And yeah, I recall that. Who actually got ahold of that letter? Was Tom given it, or the games owner?
In response to CauTi0N
CauTi0N wrote:
Funny that it got remade. And yeah, I recall that. Who actually got ahold of that letter? Was Tom given it, or the games owner?

Tom. And he passed it to UD (Unknown Duelist).

They never pursued it, so UD made a new hub after hosting it from the forums for about a month.

And honestly, I'm a bit :S myself.

I mean okay, I get it now, Fangames won't be FEATURED normally.

But would there be exceptions for EXTREMELY exceptional cases if a valid question.
In response to Latoma
Hopefully, there will be a section for fan-games.
If I understood what I read, this'll be the death of byond. The players have decided what they want to play, and its fan-games. By trying to force them to play what "you" want them to play, they'll just all leave.
In response to Dragonn
If they're extremely lazy.
In response to Dragonn
ignore my post I don't know what I'm talking about
In response to Dragonn
Dragonn wrote:
If I understood what I read, this'll be the death of byond. The players have decided what they want to play, and its fan-games. By trying to force them to play what "you" want them to play, they'll just all leave.

No one is forcing you to play anything. The anime hubs will remain, just hidden from the search. It's not that big of a deal, games that are not made with BYOND do quite well without a "hub". The authors have to go out and advertise their game, we are actually lucky.
In response to Dragonn
Dragonn wrote:

On the contrary, being unappealing to serious developers is what could eventually lead to BYOND's demise. This update will stand to prevent that.

Anyway, fangames will still continue to get players because they're fangames.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
I believe you can still get a Member to submit your Hub for approval.

I don't think I saw this option anywhere in the beta. It MAY be possible for a BYOND Member who is also a helper on your hub entry to submit it for approval, but AFAIK it's not possible for random BYOND Members to submit games for approval. (I think this is cool because it became pretty annoying at times with the random members submitting (fan) games to BYOND RPG; grow up already!)

Moderators can manually change the status of games so I guess you could still do it if you write an e-mail / forum post but I'm not too sure what the policy will be on this. I think that ultimately this restriction will be a blessing in disguise since it will make people think twice before considering to submit their games for approval which should bump up the quality a notch.

As for fan games: basically they're pushed down a notch in favor of showcasing original content. I think this is to be expected since BYOND has a large quantity of fan games already.

The only thing that should affect the search is the order in which entries are shown. Only suppressed hub entries aren't visible in search.

I think that people are overreacting about this change. The only ones really affected by all of this are the "serial submitters". Try to keep in mind the BYOND Hub is a luxury.
I disagree with this decision, I don't think it's the right thing at all. We play the Fan games and RIP games may suck, but they're partially entertaining!
In response to Android Data
Thing is, the topic of a rip is quite an iffy one. How do you verify the original programmer? How will BYOND know if X or Y coded it, if their old hub entries are gone?

eg. Finale is a game coded by Dragonn, but diverted to Phoenix which was then handed over to another developer. Yet, Finale was recontinued.

How would BYOND know which one was the rip?

Now as for the hub being a member only feature.. Kind of harsh, considering a large majority of games on BYOND especially fan games have no profit at all and are majorly lacking in advertising capabilities.

I am all for making things easier for people who produce their own original / influenced content, but why should it be done at the expense of the rest of us?

Also, getting members to publish it for us could basically result in lesser guilds being formed. One member account shared between multiple developers to reduce costs. Thus, BYOND would probably suffer a drop in membership rates.

Well, I doubt anyone on here gives a ****, especially the higher ups, seeing as I've been banned from BYOND about 7 times I believe.. But that's my two cents.
Page: 1 2