ID:278517

As you likely all know, when making a game for BYOND, you type the code in to create all the physics etc. And also to define all of the turfs; and when it comes down to making the map that your players will explore, you make a .dmm file and ... make the map using a graphical interface.

I'm currently looking at branching out to make a basic Android game or two.
I'm sort of familiar with basic App Development and basic Javascript.
But I'm thoroughly confused about map making...
What do I need to do to make a map for Android?
Whatever you want. Make it a bitmap, make it an XML file, make it a plaintext file -- that's the beauty of it, you can make your own file format that you interpret. Otherwise, there are other file formats/editors like this one (and here's a convenient list of other things that I didn't check).
In response to DivineTraveller
I should possibly read more of the resources you kindly pointed me to; it certainly does look helpful.

How would something such as Mappy Editor work, in regards to any potential Android project?
e.g. With BYOND I click on the DMM file and point and click.

With something like Mappy Editor, would I do the same and then... what? Does it output a java file? Or do I include it as a library in my Eclipse project?

I guess a simpler way of asking this would be:

How would the process differ from BYOND?

P.S. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as lazy for not researching it myself. But I have made an earnest attempt at doing so. But because BYOND is pretty much all I actually know, I find it far simpler to learn in contrast to BYOND. Thus a fellow BYOND-er explaining it in BYOND terms would go "BEYOND" being helpful. BYOND.
In response to Saucepan Man
Saucepan Man wrote:
I should possibly read more of the resources you kindly pointed me to; it certainly does look helpful.

How would something such as Mappy Editor work, in regards to any potential Android project?
e.g. With BYOND I click on the DMM file and point and click.

I believe it works similar to BYOND, point and click to set up tile-sets. I've never really used it, but it looked similar.

With something like Mappy Editor, would I do the same and then... what? Does it output a java file? Or do I include it as a library in my Eclipse project?

I guess a simpler way of asking this would be:

How would the process differ from BYOND?

Instead of BYOND loading your maps for you, you will have a file (just think of it as a plain-text file, just like BYONDs maps) to load, parse, and display. You just put it in the root directory of your eclipse project, or in some include/ directory (you'd have to set that up yourself though), load it via an InputStream, and parse it based on how you set the file up. If you want to look at a simple way to do it, I set up something simple here -- it's an unfinished file format, but it should show the general idea. From there, I would load it, parse the individual tiles (represented by a and b), and then create the tiles and put them into a 2d array, and then display it on a canvas (using a double-nested for() loop to get the respective tiles).

P.S. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as lazy for not researching it myself. But I have made an earnest attempt at doing so. But because BYOND is pretty much all I actually know, I find it far simpler to learn in contrast to BYOND. Thus a fellow BYOND-er explaining it in BYOND terms would go "BEYOND" being helpful. BYOND.
In response to DivineTraveller
Love you.