ID:276196

Bit Torrent used to always work for me, and now it works on nothing. Is there anywhere to test to see if my bit torrent works, or I'm just an unlucky SoB who can't find a working download? :/
Ol' Yeller wrote:
Bit Torrent used to always work for me, and now it works on nothing. Is there anywhere to test to see if my bit torrent works, or I'm just an unlucky SoB who can't find a working download? :/

I suspect the latter. Finding a download in the first place with BitTorrent is something of a miracle. Whoever invented the idea was a moron. "Hey, let's make a file sharing system where you need to set up complicated trackers to share anything, and then not tell anyone how to do it, so the few people who figure it out can make their few downloads totally inaccessible through ads and registration!"

Lummox JR
Try getting Azureus. And for those looking for torrent files, check out www.torrentreactor.com .
In response to Lummox JR
I heard that Microsoft is developing its own bittorrent network to allow people to download stuff from them. Oh yes for your bittorrent searches try http://isohunt.com
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I suspect the latter. Finding a download in the first place with BitTorrent is something of a miracle. Whoever invented the idea was a moron. "Hey, let's make a file sharing system where you need to set up complicated trackers to share anything, and then not tell anyone how to do it, so the few people who figure it out can make their few downloads totally inaccessible through ads and registration!"

Lummox JR

They have trackerless torrents now. :) I haven't used one yet myself, so I'm not sure how well they work.
In response to Jon88
i use bit comet, and in the interface it has links to torrent sites, there was a really good one where you can find anything called suprnova.org but its down :(
torrentspy.com
In response to Jermman
exeemlite.com
http://a.scarywater.net

~>Jiskuha
In response to Yellowmc
I think Blizzard did something like that as well. I remember downloading a patch for something and having to install what was basically BitTorrent with a different skin.
In response to Lummox JR
I think it's a great idea. It just needs to mature and become a bit more user-friendly, is all.

There's also no reason why a site can't host both BitTorrent and non-BitTorrent downloads of the same file. Those with BT can take advantage of it; those without can revert to ordinary downloads. Everyone wins. =)
In response to Crispy
Well, the problem is that if a tracker goes down, so do thousands of torrents. I am constantly running into torrent files with shutdown trackers. Back when bittorrent was not well known, almost all of the trackers where alive, very rarely did I find a file that could not download. No it is as bad as any other p2p network with dead downloads. I miss the golden days when filesharing was done by the smart people, and the stupid people didn't know about it. And the government didn't care, much.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
nova was shut down. use torrentspy.com
In response to Jermman
yep user www.torrentspy.com, www.torrentbox.com, www.bi-torrent.com
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
I think Blizzard did something like that as well. I remember downloading a patch for something and having to install what was basically BitTorrent with a different skin.

Unfortunately it's basically never worked.

Blizzard is the odd bird that makes great games with great technology...but can't make a website or release system work to save their lives.

I have to download WoW updates by going to GameSpot (where I have a paid account). Blizzard's own updater is practically useless for me.
In response to Lummox JR
i've rarely had trouble with bit-torrent over the last year. i often use the torrent sites mentioned here, as well as PirateBay. if it were not for bit-torrent, i would not have been able to watch the Enterprise series in it's entirety, in English, from my home in Germany. i personally find it the best of the file-sharing systems to-date.
In response to digitalmouse
I prefer FTP or something with similar ease. ;)
But, Bit-Torrent is good, when it works...
In response to Ol' Yeller
use Shareaza it can be used for:

Bittorrent Downloads
Gnutella Network 1 FTP
Gnutella Network 2 FTP
Edonkey2000

Ps:its also open source for those interested

you should really check it out it makes downloading easiyer

Link:: http://www.shareaza.com/
In response to Talbain
Although a standalone BT client will almost always yeild better speeds.