ID:260976

Recently I made a Naruto game, submit it for featuring and I was told games can't be featured if they have copyrighted materials without the permission of the legal owner, and I'm just curious: How would I go about doing that? Games like GOA and Final Fight are Naruto based and featured, so there must be a way. Thanks!!

(FUNimation doesn't own Naruto, right?)
GOA is listed, not featured. Technically it's listed as a fangame.

Naruto is not a FUNimation property. I've heard--completely anecdotally--that the rightsholder is more easygoing toward fan material, but take that with a big grain of salt. The reality of the modern copyright world is that even if a work is completely innocuous, and in many cases even when it couldn't be called infringing by any reasonable person, some companies are simply paranoid about protecting their IP. If you make a fangame, you have to live with the knowledge that at any time the company could decide they no longer want to tolerate fangames of any kind and issue a takedown notice.

Considering the glut of Naruto games anyway, you'd be way better off transitioning into a game that has nothing to do with Naruto but still preserves the play elements that you like about it. Then you could develop your own mythos and characters, diverge from the series in ways that are totally your own creation, and still appeal to fans.
In response to Lummox JR
Thank you-- I understand the risk in fangames and the overuse of Naruto games on BYOND, and I promised myself when I started coding that I would never make one but I, for some reason, felt compelled to make this. How can I get my game listed as a fangame/advertised on BYOND's webpage like GOA?
In response to Lummox JR
I actually believe that if given notice, VizMedia would take action on the Naruto games on BYOND, since my friend recently sent an email directly asking for permission to make, and I quote:
"2D MMORPG game directly based on Naruto that will be played by a small community in the thousands"

They promptly replied no, they would not tolerate it.
In response to Nerdy boy
Simply submit it via the hub's options. Either you will have to buy a BYOND membership to submit it or have a friend who is a member submit the game so that it can be reviewed.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
Simply submit it via the hub's options. Either you will have to buy a BYOND membership to submit it or have a friend who is a member submit the game so that it can be reviewed.

The hub has to actually belong to a member key to appear in the slush pile.
In response to Lummox JR
Ah, woops.
In response to El Wookie
I'm sure that they believed that it would be played by Thousands, which is an obvious negative, legally and just the sheer power of BYOND. If he had have been realistic, and said it would be played by anywhere between 10 and 20 people at a time, I'm sure VizMedia couldn't care less about such a tiny project.
In response to Solomn Architect
Wouldn't you of said the same about FUNImation?
In response to El Wookie
Most of those games were "scatter shots" or "just in cases" hence the removal of draggin ballz which was a game where you dragged dragon balls around the screen(Don't even know if it was multiplayer.) The one they were looking at were the ones with 150+ people typically and making money from their franchise. I doubt they even played most of the games they requested to be taken down.