Casual Quest

by IainPeregrine
A fast paced, casual, multi player action game with a little RPG touch
ID:287922

I've already noted Joram's suggestions. If you find any bugs, post 'em here, or if you have ideas, post them here as well.
My suggestion is that you slap the release notes online somewhere so I can link to them in my digest. ;)
A couple of bugs to note as well, being able to shoot the teleporters in the corner. (I think an easy fix for this is to leave them in the teleport state when there so they are invulnerable) Summoner clouds when more than one is summoned (one is fine but the others get screwy) stop regening aura and have no presence in the map (don't take hits, don't move don't fire wind,) Also genies seem to still not be quite right.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
My suggestion is that you slap the release notes online somewhere so I can link to them in my digest. ;)

Will do fairly soon. Need to get in contact with Iain about that, but I think we'll be good to go with one soon.
In response to CauTi0N
Feel free to post on my blog, or your own, with any updates.
In response to IainPeregrine
There's honestly not much you can add to CQ other than to add new maps or monsters. You should just try and focus on improving upon what we already have,rather than coming up with brand new ideas.
In response to Chainblade1
Suggestion for High Priest:

Increase the amount of aura high priest can hold,but increase the amount of aura that his spells take,so no effect is made. This isn't a useless tactic,it's so that when high priest is getting his mp regen'd by a player class,it won't make a high priest's mp skyrocket the first time. Don't make it too high,i just would like it if it was harder to restore a high priests aura,since it's healing powers are very awesome.
In response to Chainblade1
Chainblade1 wrote:
Suggestion for High Priest:

Increase the amount of aura high priest can hold,but increase the amount of aura that his spells take,so no effect is made. This isn't a useless tactic,it's so that when high priest is getting his mp regen'd by a player class,it won't make a high priest's mp skyrocket the first time. Don't make it too high,i just would like it if it was harder to restore a high priests aura,since it's healing powers are very awesome.

This same effect can be easily established by modifying the Aura Rate, which, imo, is already quite slow. It has the same Aura Rate as Sorcs or Necros, so I'd say that's fair. The only thing different about HP from these two is that it doesn't need to have full Aura bar before it can do something significant (which makes sense since HP would be useless if it needed full Aura to resurrect!)

Your other main worry are the Aura fountains Sage and Monk. Honestly though, these skills are mainly to make others' Aura to skyrocket and make magic users useful. They become useless with super high Aura chars like Vamps and Warlords; but an HP with that kind of Aura levels, even with a low Aura Rate, would become quickly useless to the party, and an unnecessary balance hassle for Caution.
I think we were talking about this at some point of time before, but how about constructing new specialized environments? I know we have something on 140-149 and 200-209, but is it possible to make something for... say, 50-59 and 100-109?

Similar to Ninja Land or Gnome Land, it can feature unique enemies that will test the party's skills and classes.

For one of the Lands, I remember how Iain was talking about a sideways looking level where the boss is in the air, and two towers on the side so that melees could approach the boss. If you want to be lazy, we could call it Castle Land and reuse both small and big knights (speed up knights to make this Land hell if we complain) as well as lancers.

Another Land I was thinking about was a Magic Land, where we would have enemy wizards who throw fireballs at players and healers who would keep the enemy alive. If you want to reuse enemies, we could recycle enemy genies who would shoot limited seekers, providing a decent defense for the enemy wizards who go long range. The boss can be a large enemy wizard who can shoot multiple limited range seekers, the targeted bolts that the large demons do, and even a limited fire snake / perma fire to deter players from approaching.

Just throwing ideas around though - as Iain pointed out before, its best to make sure everything is fixed before we consider anything new.
In response to Sudzzuds
Just to add to Sudz ideas

Maybe castle land could be Tower land instead. So you're climbing the towers until you reach the top where the big flying monster is.

It could have narrow, winding stairways and different rooms like libraries and armories that you stop at.

Instead of knights there could be executioner style enemies, basically barbarians with black hoods on. And some minotaurs.

For magic land there could be new enemies that cause status effects that can only be cured by turn demon spell.

Like mages that turn you into a frog with only one semi useless attack.

I'd also like to see something neat like maybe enemy conjurers that spawn fireball enemies or titan equivelants. But at a reasonable rate so we're not spammed to death.
In response to Altrez
This is about the bug with the genies in version 1.33, I think they are spamming the fireball with no targets in range and losing aura. I believe this due to the fact that I made my genie pick up a aura potion with no enemies around and his aura drained away as fast as he should be shooting fireballs. Also his Aura regen rate seems fine which is why he can still shoot fireballs while close to enemies.

This part is about an enemy to consider as either normal or a boss, a Phoenix. This enemy would fly at an angle like birds do, but if you kill it, after a certain amount of time it would resurrect itself. This could be limited to once or twice or perhaps you just have to kill it last. Or, you could kill it and hopefully kill everything else off fast enough so it doesn't revive and everything registers as "dead".

This part is in regards to something Cauti0n said to me today. "Maybe some idea of a game neither serious or casual"
What about a CQ CTF? No points or badges makes it not serious but the competitive nature makes it not casual? I bet you could pull some functionality coding from Iain's Plundergnome. An idea for this is to work it into CQ as a special game start caused by the host. Have it ask if you want to pick teams or randomize. Problems I see with this are hosts being annoying, certain classes being horribly balanced for pvp, NO CUSTOMS cause yeah that would really throw things, Class picking, people being asshats, lag, and small maps. Hosts being annoying can't be fixed just avoided, certain classes being badly balanced... maybe a banning draft where team captains can pick certain classes to not be allowed? Class picking could be handled by making it so after a certain amount of time everyone would get their own unique class pick card so the teams aren't made up of only 2 classes at first. People being asshats would have to be handled by hosts, maybe a mute button and a MOTD functionality? Lag will of course always be a problem, but the CQ jerkiness when your not a host would probably need to be rectified before this becomes feasible. Small maps issue is actually a lot in one. Zooming out (making icons smaller or whatever) too much would make it harder to aim/judge distance. Trees would need to cause "fog of war" so you could sneak. A whole bunch of other issues come to mind but this post is getting too long.
In response to Joram
Nomads:
They can still try and summon more than 1 genie at a time, and just lose aura if they use their skill when a genie is already out.

Skeleton AI + Minstrel:
For some very odd reason, Skeleton AIs freeze (can't move) if they have Minstrel's barrier. I have not thoroughly tested this to say whether or not they can attack, and I am not sure if all AIs are affected similarly.
In response to Sudzzuds
You're right, it works with all summons I think, and it's been around forever.

Titans, flames, ...though never seen it on clouds. If they get minstrel bubbled they just freeze up.
In response to Sudzzuds
Sudd I didn't mean that nomads were bugged, but the genies themselves are. They bleed aura trying to use fireball when no enemies are in range. They didn't do this before the update.
Scoreboard broke again -.-

seemed to delete most of the recent runs we did just to get up there.
In response to Altrez
Altrez wrote:
Scoreboard broke again -.-

seemed to delete most of the recent runs we did just to get up there.

I don't think I even exist anymore, and neither does Sef.... :(

I'm sure I saw Diclonius score around, but a lot lower.
In response to Joram
Joram wrote:
Sudd I didn't mean that nomads were bugged, but the genies themselves are. They bleed aura trying to use fireball when no enemies are in range. They didn't do this before the update.

I know that, and I was wondering what was going on with the genies. But I've been getting issues where the nomads seem to have less aura than they should have too.
In response to Sudzzuds
Umm, regarding the scoreboard when you investigate why our recent high scores disappeared, would you consider a "find" functionality? So we could look up a specific player (or ourselves 8P) and see where we stand? I ask this cause I wonder if maybe it took a new input of a "high score" and overwrote the old one. The thing is, I don't have time to go poking through 91 pages of scores.
In response to Joram
Joram wrote:
Umm, regarding the scoreboard when you investigate why our recent high scores disappeared, would you consider a "find" functionality? So we could look up a specific player (or ourselves 8P) and see where we stand? I ask this cause I wonder if maybe it took a new input of a "high score" and overwrote the old one. The thing is, I don't have time to go poking through 91 pages of scores.

Sadly there isn't a 'find' function - what I did instead was order them by name and run through the pages until I can narrow it down to where I need to be.

It's not the best, but it works well enough for me.

EDIT: I didn't realize that Joram meant to integrate a find function. Whoopsy me.

Anyways: apparently, we no longer exist on the scoreboard, period - I just tried to play another game to get a 'new' score but it wouldn't register.

I did a video recording for the key Ran_girl, so I can date when that score was established.... Sept. 23. Can anyone narrow more as to when we started losing scores?

In response to Sudzzuds
And this is all off of 1.33? Not a earlier version?

As far as the find function: The scoreboard we really have limited control over. It's pre-built by BYOND and we just input the values into it.
Page: 1 2