ID:293092

BYOND Build Number: BYOND v425
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Video/Graphics Card: Unknown
Game Hub/Link: Duel Monsters Unlimited
Internet Connection Type: Broadband
Firewalls/Routers: Windows Firewall turned off/Linksys

Problem Description:

I already have my pager in Public status but it keeps logging me in as [expletive deleted] guest. Help.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Enter a server of BYOND's and it doesn't log me as Slaryn C, but as a GUEST.
What steps are you following to login? Can you break that down in detail?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
What steps are you following to login? Can you break that down in detail?

Lummox JR

OK. I log in to any game from either BYOND or site (the two don't work), and next, I log in as a guest not through my key. Yeah, I'm already signed in at that time and my status is Public.
In response to Slaryn C
Slaryn C wrote:
OK. I log in to any game from either BYOND or site (the two don't work), and next, I log in as a guest not through my key.

I'm having a hard time following that second part because it sounds like you're describing a result, not a step you took. I gather that when you get into the game, it marks you as a guest.

Yeah, I'm already signed in at that time and my status is Public.

So to clarify, you're logged in on the pager using your account name, and it says "Public" and is connected to the hub (you should see the Games and Friends tabs), but as soon as you enter a game it says you're a guest?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Yes, that's it. And, I'm also logged on the site. I tried reinstalling and removing everything related to BYOND but it doesn't work either.

In response to Slaryn C
Two related questions here: 1) Do you have a firewall restricting dreamseeker.exe's ability to use the Internet, and 2) are you actually managing to connect to the game server?

It might help to have a copy of everything that appears in the game's Options & Messages window, if you can get that info.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Version 425.994)
Logging in....Connecting to byond://67.207.149.64:6112...
BYOND pager is offline. Connecting as Guest.
connected
The server you are trying to connect to does not support guest logins.
Connection closed.
Connection failed.

--

That what happens. And if I login to guest-supported servers, I still show up as a guest and become a guest there.

It's always "BYOND pager is offline. Connecting as Guest."

My pager has me logged in and Public, and my account is logged in at the site. I don't know why is this happening. And no, I don't have a firewall.
In response to Slaryn C
Okay, that's great information. The "BYOND pager is offline" message is a vital clue. It means that Dream Seeker is trying to talk to the BYOND pager through a locally opened port, but the pager isn't responding. That means either DS is reading bogus info from a config file, the pager is not correctly opening a port, or DS can't connect out to the same machine.

What I'll need next is for you to take a look at a few things on your system. This will tell me exactly what's going on.

First, you'll need to find your user data folder. Open File | Preferences in the pager, and go to the Advanced tab. The bottom of that page has the location of your user data folder. Open that folder.

In the user data folder, there's a folder called cfg. Open cfg and then open the pager.txt file you see there. This has a list of values in it. Go ahead and paste the values from that file here and I'll take a look.

Also, it occurred to me that you might have an older pager.txt file conflicting with this. This kind of thing can happen in cases when BYOND used to be installed in a different directory. To test that theory, open up C:\Program Files\BYOND (or wherever BYOND is installed). If you have an old folder there called "users", rename it to something else or delete it. Then, look in the cfg folder here. If you see a file called pager.txt, delete that. Those are about the only places I can think of for a conflict, but if you don't find another pager.txt file anywhere, do a system search for one. If you find pager.txt anywhere else (and of course it's the same kind of format BYOND uses), then delete the other copies you find. Let me know if you find any other pager.txt files and if so, if deleting them fixes the problem.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
4xہWءà:?EK ¹QƒVov‚ڈ.‌ ہU
x³<q¶ہM› ¶½$q
(q5qے9q8ہAطپ’ں¨¥ƒ!<پ£€ ل<GA;ہWچ…^’±ے€3j-k8ƒ"سà#(-3&# 1729;Wے
پdٍW‚à€دڑ‍¢¯€Sƒb€4^…ٌ¶
ت‏à‎ذْر ¬¹€2&nbsp;¬$c
#لبےائإےؤ­2 29;C÷à³°­«€X§€rB}xہWؤHصہY0\ ھ‏„$ژàAہX6‚$ژ
©پ$ہVi@ث§<T§أK]
ùرµBض‎دہG^Xئ€K†2ƒ8€<ƒ
guild 0
proxy 2006

^The data in my pager.txt file. It seems weird.

Also, there are no other pager.txt files.
In response to Slaryn C
That file looks pretty badly corrupted. It seems like DS is having trouble reading it, and that's what's causing the problem.

I'd like to fix this on a more permanent basis, so if you can, please send a copy of that pager.txt file to me at [email protected].

After that, you can delete that file and the problem should go away.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks. I'll send you. My e-mail is [email protected]