ID:254176

Membership prices have went up, why is this?
Do we actually get something worth-while for being a BYOND member or does The Hehre need some cash flow na'sayin'.
Well, we upgraded all of the servers behind the site (hopefully it is faster-- the numbers so far look good) and I was hoping to recoup some costs through Membership, which has been the same price for so long. But that's not working so well so far-- probably a case of making too many changes at once and a perceived loss of functionality (when in truth Membership is mostly about contributing to the operation that keeps 99% of the feature set free).

Anyway, I have a lot to think about regarding this project. Changes on the way.
Charlie, you can buy weed weekly, but cant pay $2 a month for a membership? Shame.
In response to Avainer1
Avainer1 wrote:
but cant pay $2 a month for a membership?

Since there isn't even an option to do that... I was actually about to buy somebody a BYOND membership the other day, after they had helped me with some random issue, until I remembered it was $25 or nothing.
In response to Falacy
You're telling me you don't have $24 in your pocket? You sure you should be spending your time on this website and not on getting a job?
In response to Falacy
There are six month memberships for $15.
In response to Avainer1
Avainer1 wrote:
You're telling me you don't have $24 in your pocket?

Sure I do, but I can think of over 9,000 things just off the top of my head that would be more worthwhile usages of $25 than the BYOND membership of a stranger.
In response to Avainer1
Avainer1 wrote:
You're telling me you don't have $24 in your pocket? You sure you should be spending your time on this website and not on getting a job?

It's very possible to have a job and not have $24 to spend on frivolities.
Internet access is a frivolity, and unless he goes to a library or uses McDonald's Wi-Fi every time he comes to BYOND, he or the people he lives with has money to spend on frivolities including a $24 membership.
I think it's more the issue of Membership not giving people much outside of a feeling they've contributed to BYOND (the freeware approach). I'm sure if the $24 returned something perceived as useful (eg, being able to play games), then it wouldn't be a problem. Ideally we'd have more games giving benefits for BYOND Members (or can provide better incentives for this for developers -- not an easy problem given our model).
In response to EmpirezTeam
That wasn't the point, at all, of my post.
24$ can buy a game, a nice-ish meal, or a cool toy for your kid. It's not something you can pass out like candy.
Well I'm apart of the 1% so I actually can.
Hurray for you. Not going into politics, but if you're willing to call yourself the 1% or whathaveyou, clearly you can see that the "complaint" isn't directed at your demographic.
But no, my point is, people waste money all the time on things they don't need. If you can buy CoD every time a new one comes out ( which is what, twice the cost to be a BYOND member? ), you have $24 for a membership.
In response to SqueakyReaper
SqueakyReaper wrote:
24$ can buy a game, a nice-ish meal, or a cool toy for your kid. It's not something you can pass out like candy.

If you're saying BYOND Membership is not as good as a silly toy, or anything close to that, why bother buying it? None is forcing you to get one.
In response to Avainer1
'course not. I have no problem funding my membership. I'm more referring to this sort of situation:

"Since there isn't even an option to do that... I was actually about to buy somebody a BYOND membership the other day, after they had helped me with some random issue, until I remembered it was $25 or nothing."

Gifting memberships isn't something I personally did, but I know a few users who enjoyed doing that. An easier way of saying it... 52$ bought three memberships before, it buys two now. (with four dollars left over, I suppose)
And it should cost even more than that, so I don't see what your point is. Many people have explained how much BYOND costs to advertise/host your game compared to other websites.
Can I get a quick source on the many people who say that?
In response to SqueakyReaper
I think they're somewhere in this ~300 post thread.

Anyway, Tom already posted his reasons at the top of this thread. Can't get more official than that.

If you can't afford a membership but want to advertise your game, there are a couple of good free portals out there for that. Like Game Jolt. The downside to using outside portals is that you won't get the same kind of initial player counts you can get on BYOND (just by the difference in the number of people willing to trust/install your game)
Page: 1 2