ID:285308

I feel empty without a customize-able CSS page. I miss being able to advertise what I enjoy, and I used to actually have a use for knowing how to program in it. I feel as though one of my favorite membership perks has been stripped from me.
You can always use CSS in your topic post using the style attribute.
Funny you should mention that. You know the little name plug that appears when you click on someone's name? It's kinda bland. I was thinking about opening the floor of discussion about allowing users to customise the look of that with CSS.

After all, Tom said he didn't mind the customisable CSS. That kind of thing seems unimportant enough to allow users to modify it to suit their personalities. As long as they don't do something stupid like try to hide stuff on it.

The added bonus is, because the back screen is dimmed when the box opens, it really doesn't matter what it looks like. Make it customisable to members only, and there's another incentive.
I agree with Tibby about the customizable name plug.
Members only? Darn :c
I just want them to bring back Enig's boxes. I'm not renewing my membership until I see some boxes.
Does anyone else feel like the new site release was rushed?
No.
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:

No, not really.
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:

I wish it was rushed.

The BYOND staff takes their time on these updates and while it seems like that would be a good thing, it isn't always. They come up with some ideas that aren't great but because they dwell on them for a long time, they get used to the ideas and start to like them. The become attached to the ideas whether they're good or bad. There's nothing wrong with bad ideas, but it's a problem that they get too attached to them.

If it took them two weeks to make the update and you said "wow, this one aspect of the update is terrible, what were they thinking?!", they'd be inclined to agree and make further updates. Very little user feedback goes into their updates because the staff becomes so attached to the update. If they rushed, they'd be more receptive to feedback.
This update was by far the best thing we've ever done for the site.
Forum_account wrote:
They come up with some ideas that aren't great but because they dwell on them for a long time, they get used to the ideas and start to like them.

Tom wrote:
This update was by far the best thing we've ever done for the site.

Precisely. There's no way to spend months working on a site update and, in the end, not like it. If you didn't like it you'd have stopped working on it. I'm not saying that the update is bad. I'm just saying that it's very unlikely that the staff would be anything but pleased with the update.

The one thing that's missing (or maybe I just can't find it) is some sense of quality and popularity within the developer community. There's a forum with nine pages of tutorials but an exhaustive list isn't useful to a new BYOND developer. It seems like the site offers even less information about how a new user should get started. There are things in place that make it easier to find good games but I don't see anything to make it easier to find good developer resources. There isn't a shortage of sub-par resources and putting everything in a single forum makes it easier for things to get lost in the shuffle.
I think, instead of adding the box we should add tabs or add one tab that will show boxes. It will be more simple and I agree with Orange, my favourite Membership perk has been stripped :(
There are a lot of things missing and our job is to priotitize these vs the software (which is all most people care about). But the reason this update is so good for us is that it makes it so much easier to further build on the site (eg, to add things like hub-based chat). We only have a few components to this site, which gives it consistency and flexibility.
We'll see about giving some customization over some stuff, maybe even hubs.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:

That doesn't sound too bad. :-)
In response to Darker Legends
Darker Legends wrote:
Tom wrote:

That doesn't sound too bad. :-)

That sounds AWESOME! I wish you luck and hope that these customization options are of high quality.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:

This would be neat ^-^
cool