ID:301736

Keywords: bmp, converter, dmi
Hey my friend made a project using byond and wanted to convert the .dmi files to regular .bmp files. My question is: Is there a converter already made to convert the .dmi to .bmp files and if there isn't, is the .dmi file format proprietary? If there isn't a converter made already, I would like to make one for my friend but I can only do that if I know how to read the .dmi information. Thanks!
.dmi files are just .png files that use comments and stuff to handle icon states. I'm not sure why you'd want to convert them to .bmp files though.
Oh really?! So if I changed the extension to .png I would be able to see the image just fine right??
Yes. Keep in mind though, if it has multiple icon states then the .png will be a huge sheet of every state and frame.
Ah okay cool! Thank you very much! I'm also wondering, are there any parts of Byond that are open source or is it all proprietary?
It's all pretty easy to reverse engineer. At least the file formats anyway.
DMM files are basically arrays.
Pretty much. .dme, .dm, .dmf, and .dmm files are all just .txt files that are interpreted differently by the compiler, and .dmi files are just .png files.
I just tried changing one of the .dmi file extensions to .png and the file won't open in any graphics program. Are the file headers changed somehow?
Hmm. You could try just exporting the image in Dream Maker as a .png by right-clicking it.
It only exports the first frame of the movie clips, doesn't show all the frames/icon states.
Oh, it's animated? .png is just for still images (well, there's the .apng format but like all of one browser supports those, and BYOND does not support them). If you want to do anything with an animated image you need to export it as a .gif.
When you open the DMI in Dream Maker, click Save As, look down on the file prompt at the "Save as Type" drop-down list, click on it, and click PNG.
I tried dragging the .dmi file into paint itself and it opened up just fine.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
When you open the DMI in Dream Maker, click Save As, look down on the file prompt at the "Save as Type" drop-down list, click on it, and click PNG.

Apparently this doesn't work...wow.

but yeah...
Directly opening it in any program should work fine too.

Thanks everyone! Exporting it as .gif shows the frames. Dragging the .dmi file into paint didn't work for me by the way.